Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 19, 2006 21:36
Remember the TGS conference last year?
Many reporters and people said live,doing the conference that xbox360 " PREMIUM" for 38.000 yen costed way much for a console.
Well,ps3 " CORE" package is gonna cost 58.000 yen.
price for the premium?
No price is set.

Will they dare to say that in this TGS?
or will the reporters just keep their mouth shut,like you can expect from japanese people who want their gaming magazine/site being friendly with sony.

Okay so basically we have a PREMIUM xbox360 package that is 1/3 cheaper then PS3 CORE package will be.

Also,we have no price on premium package yet.

Gonna be very very intresting to see what the reporters say at TGS...and what japanese consumer think.

ps! the xbox360 premium price is cheaper now,but i wont base,or guess how much cheaper it is,seeing how i dont know the price,but i seen it as low as 32.000 yen in some stores,and it might fall this winter?
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 19 May 06 13:38:14 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 19, 2006 22:41
Looks like it' s official (the uk pric that is)

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6151565.aspx

Over £100? I thought it would be £10 less than 100.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 19 May 06 14:41:52 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 20, 2006 00:36
I want the ps3, more than the other systems. But now as we sit here pre-launch, I have major doubts.

Sony have made some very bad decisions. They are losing a lot of microsoft such as exclusives, and when the machine launches, if it fails to do well they will lose a lot more than that. Sony should know that in order to win hd format war they should make the machine cheap and affordable.
Put simply, the extra money on the console, is money not spent on games or BDmovies.
While the pad is a interesting development (i guess) the fact they have taken rumble away really sets it back.

This is a bad time for sony, and i fear it may just get worse. (i just hope they do a microsoft and cut £100 off shortly after launch - but it' s not likely)
Lord Drago

• Total Posts : 2
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 20, 2006 07:36
Well think of it this way:

A PS3 would practically be a computer since it runs on Linux and is capable of web browsing, media playing, HD gaming, ect ect so pretty much Sony has come up with a suped up " PC" (not literally but close enough) selling at $499 to $599 U.S. Heck I would sell my actuall PC for a PS3 and maybe even gain a profit.

You basically won' t even need a PC anymore with that monster system.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 20, 2006 08:11

A PS3 would practically be a computer since it runs on Linux

No offence sweetheart but a fully fledged version of Linux would kill CELL (i may be overstating this). It only has a single general purpose core and the SPE' s won' t help as far as the OS goes. A full version of Linux would use up tons of processing power, especially if you have multiple application running like the music player and the web browser (which does look cool).

It' ll simply be a slimline version of Linux with barebones features tailored to run on the machine and be available at any time just like the 360 OS. You won' t even see that it' s Linux, Sony simply need an OS and can' t use Windows (although their beta kits WERE running on XP at GDC). You won' t be able to use the machine like a desktop computer!

You basically won' t even need a PC anymore with that monster system

Now YOU' RE overstating it. PS3 won' t even match 360 nevermind top of the range PC' s. Please don' t start quoting Sony garbage about having 2x the raw power of 360 because it was all lies and everybody here knows it.

Oh, and welcome!

vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 20, 2006 12:02
Yeah, I heard about the Japanese reception of the 360 bundles as too expensive. Either they turn out to be hypocrites, or Sony will be hurting in Japan sales. I heard that buying things in Japan is far more expensive to the middle class there, and that gaming luxuries are even more expensive, whereas the middle class in the Americas can afford more luxuries. In a sense, I have a better chance of affording all three consoles than a Japanese person of equivalent wealth class. Must suck for them.

A PS3 as a replacement for your computer? I don' t think so. If you do anything that remotely takes more power than what the consoles do already, such as photoshop or true multitasking, PS3s just won' t cut it. It would make for some decent storage though, I guess.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 20, 2006 20:43
I think the hypocrite thing might be the case I don' t really see them turning to the 360....for some reasons I see lines ike they had for the ds lite.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Will the japanese people responde to the ps3 price? - May 21, 2006 08:03
I think Cell is powerful enough CPU to handle even the most sophisticated OS if it' s written for it.

The power issue is really a mistery - noone can say for sure which one is more powerful at this time - specs on paper can give us some idea but not the final judgement.

Japan could love PS3 even with that price , but Wii will definitely make them think twice.

It seems that whatever MS did up to this point could mean nothing next to the power of PlayStation brand.And it really sux - they (sony) don' t deserve that kind of loyalty from consumers.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll