Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster"
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 38 of 38
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 10:31
From the track record of SOny PS1, 2.. PS3 is a disaster..

Though this is more due to the amount of time taking to make the things..

Theres no doubting that Ps3 will atleast come in second place this generation.

The hardware has alot of potential (Seeing motorstorm in realtime slapped me round the face, does shit i havent seen in consoles games before apparently only uses 40% of it ' average' potential).

Linux / open sourced for PS network is a major plus too, it really is the first true multi-media console (not locked & limited shit like Live)..

Once the Ps3 is freely availible. its gonna take off again, Just like the Wii.
< Message edited by f3hunter -- 15 Jan 07 2:33:29 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 10:47

The hardware has alot of potential (Seeing motorstorm in realtime slapped me round the face, does shit i havent seen in consoles games before apparently only uses 40% of it ' average' potential).

Motorstorm? A slap in the face? yeah maybe to sony fans

Once the Ps3 is freely availible. its gonna take off again, Just like the Wii.

Ummm, actually at my local target they have had so many ps3s not selling that over the past 2 weeks they have built up a collection of 12 and no one is buying them, unlike the wii which is still pretty hard to find
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 10:52

Motorstorm? A slap in the face? yeah maybe to sony fans

Actually, i hated Sony (still do). never owned one of their cosoles, PS3 will be a first for me. Even after being used to crazyly smooth/detailed PC Games, i find MS really impressive visually.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 11:24
At least they weren' t stupid enough to stick with their original plan to use CELL as the GPU and the boomerang controller.
Sony went with a bunch of extremely risky strategies that could either pay out big or bomb. So far they haven' t been doing so well.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 11:32

Actually, i hated Sony (still do). never owned one of their cosoles, PS3 will be a first for me. Even after being used to crazyly smooth/detailed PC Games, i find MS really impressive visually.

I was just pointing this out. Youre responding as if i said " sony fanboys" i said fans not fan boys. Just to make it clear
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 13:07
This guy at work bought a PS3 to resell, and couldn' t get rid of the damn thing! He was even going so far as to throw in an extra controller and sell it at retail and STILL couldn' t sell it!!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 15, 2007 15:13

Once the Ps3 is freely availible. its gonna take off again

That day has been here for a few weeks now, but whatever helps you sleep at night....
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 18, 2007 12:51
I' ve got a friend attempting to sell me his 60 gig, for almost 100 BELoW retail, if that has any bearing. He said he wanted a PSP & a 360.

The way Sony has handled PS3 as an entity has been a disaster, but the hardware itself is not. I assumed that is what he was reffering to BTW. Just a clarification.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 22, 2007 12:53
I' m not on expert on what was going on when the 360 released, but in Canada it was easy to find just 1 month after release. So, I don' t really think you can point out the fact that they aren' t impossible to find as a reason it won' t do well.

The wii seems to be the hardest console to find after launch than any I have seen in the past. Comparing any console to it is sorta setting it up to look bad.

At least they weren' t stupid enough to stick with their original plan to use CELL as the GPU and the boomerang controller.
Sony went with a bunch of extremely risky strategies that could either pay out big or bomb. So far they haven' t been doing so well.

I agree with that, they have made a lot of fumbles, and taken some big risks, it' s to early to tell how its gonna play out though. I really think that after the next release of games + europes release we will really get an idea of where it' s headed.

edit to add statements below:

This guy at work bought a PS3 to resell, and couldn' t get rid of the damn thing! He was even going so far as to throw in an extra controller and sell it at retail and STILL couldn' t sell it!!

You have to remember that buying things off people, off ebay in particular, is not nearly as prefferable as buying it yourself in store. That way you are gaurenteed it is perfect in box, and can buy whatever warantee' s for it that you want. If there are ps3' s widely available as the Americans on this board say there are, then those are gonna get bought up before the ones on Ebay. So far in Calgary, one of the biggest cities in Canada, no retail stores have ps3' s. Maybe Canadians buy more, or maybe we get less per capita, I have no idea.

This is not to say the demand is high, it obviously isnt as high as Sony would have hoped, but it is to say that such examples don' t write the thing off as not being desired.
< Message edited by Avarice -- 22 Jan 07 4:58:28 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 22, 2007 14:28
they always have a PS3 at wal-mart here, I don' t see Wii' s very often though.
Dagashi

RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 22, 2007 15:40

hey always have a PS3 at wal-mart here, I don' t see Wii' s very often though.

where do you live? And as far as the wii goes, thats my point exactly. The thing sells like hotcakes, even though they have shipped a huge amount so far. Compare any recent console to it and they all would look like they did poor. I would like to know the Xbox360' s sales within the first 3 months. Anyone have a credible source of info on that? I never really payed attention to console sales until recently.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 22, 2007 16:34
You have to keep in mind though that a lot of it is based on price too. Many people will pick up a Wii just because it' s cheap. PS3, they may think twice or wait a few years. That - and there are many more casual gamers than hardcore techies out there...
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 22, 2007 21:27
Here' s how we do it at the Target I work at. We put out a select few to see how quickly they sell. Then we either add more space for quicker sales or we keep the current space and backstock the rest. For the Wii. We have not backstocked and none on the floor. Its currently non existant at this point as no new ones have come in.

The 360s situation is during the holidays it had lotsa of space. Not just in its normal electronics section but an entire back wall with about 30 or so of the damn things. Nows it back ti its normal space and about 10-12 backstocked on average.

The PS3 has kept its space since its initial release and the backstock has slowly been building. We been selling maybe about 1 per week and have a total stock of 12 (of the 12 we keep 3-4 on display). HQ has slowed its supply or its just not getting anymore at the moment either like the Wiis.

< Message edited by Mass X -- 22 Jan 07 13:33:44 >
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 23, 2007 01:45
Saw this in the news. I don' t blame him. Sony should have canceled and start over still incoperating the blu ray tech since that was one of their mission. However, i wouldn' t give up on Sony PS3 just yet, if any one can make a comeback they can.
Don' t quote me on that.
steptechdotnet

• Total Posts : 91
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 23, 2007 03:26
I was at my friends house this weekend playing the ps3. He has all the game consoles ever release including the atari lynx. jaguar & game gear. I was actually quite underwhelmed, the controler was just too light, the games seem to missing something without the rumble feature & i think resistance & motor storm could have really benefited from it. A driving game without rumble just feels lame & not feeling the kick of your gun just sux. I really can' t see the big deal that F3 hunter keeps making about motorstorm, that game didn' t impress me at all, & i thought alot of the ground textures were pathetic. I mean if he' s really really gonna hate on 360 like he always does then hate on that system too, because it honestly sux balls at the moment, and even $400 seems like too much. Didn' t get to try the wii yet though, I was gonna have him hook it up, but I was too tired it being 3am in the morning and all & couln' t see myself doing the wii movements when I could barely keep my eyes open. I' ll check it soon though
Dagashi

RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 23, 2007 07:08

I was actually quite underwhelmed, the controler was just too light, the games seem to missing something without the rumble feature & i think resistance & motor storm could have really benefited from it. A driving game without rumble just feels lame & not feeling the kick of your gun just sux. I really can' t see the big deal that F3 hunter keeps making about motorstorm, that game didn' t impress me at all, & i thought alot of the ground textures were pathetic

Yet again, someone is judging a game by its downloadable demo, a demo of a game not completed.

The controller is too light? I can' t understand that being a downside, thats one of the best things about the wii/ps3 controllers. The xbox controllers being as heavy as they are seem like more of a downside to me than an upside, and has always been a criticized part of the controller.

As far as rumble goes, yah, some people miss it. I don' t really care, and never really got kicks from having rumble features in my controller. I only really care about force feedback on steering wheels.

Tell me why the ps3 " sux balls at the moment" other than the price. The xbox360 had no better games 3 months into its launch, and heck, the wii has only two good ones, Zelda and Wii sports.

I' m fine with you disliking it, but you have to keep certain things in mind when you are talking about competing consoles.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 23, 2007 07:51

The controller is too light? I can' t understand that being a downside, thats one of the best things about the wii/ps3 controllers. The xbox controllers being as heavy as they are seem like more of a downside to me than an upside, and has always been a criticized part of the controller.

Imo the old XBox controller was huge and clunky, but the 360s one has lost weight and to me feels just right.

Although I' m also fine with the smaller lighter playstation controllers. Actually both the dualshock and sixaxis felt the same weight to me. I think people overestimate the difference for some reason, due to the lack of rumble maybe.

As far as rumble goes, yah, some people miss it. I don' t really care, and never really got kicks from having rumble features in my controller. I only really care about force feedback on steering wheels.

FFB which of course you can' t get on PS3 either.

https://forum.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=89438&p=5&tmode=1&smode=1

I definitely miss rumble too.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 22 Jan 07 23:52:05 >
Dagashi

RE: Gabe Newell calls PS3 a " disaster" - Jan 23, 2007 12:26

FFB which of course you can' t get on PS3 either.

Yah, thats a shame for sure. IMO steering wheels are useless without good force feedback, it makes drifting and handling oversteer and counter steering much easier.

This would be easy to implement into the firmware of course, and I hope Sony listens to people like Polyphony and implements it.

I' ve also heard rumors that the Japanese release of the GT HD demo supports the Force Feedback on steering wheels.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message