Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Crysis confirmed for 360
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 15, 2007 06:28
The PC version will look better, but, just like with DOOM III on Xbox, it will still look impressive if they take the time to retool it to run smoothly.

Programming for a console and a PC is very different. To run the exact same game a console does, the PC usually requires double the specs, and consoles can be optimized further due to knowing exact specs of the system everyone will be using.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 07:30
Crysis is far more intensive than Doom 3 is to run. So yes, you could be right that it will look as good as Doom 3 on Xbox did. However, my point is that the xbox version of Crysis will look like crap compared to a well run PC version. Crytek' s new engine is amazing, and not only that, but they have always liked making outdoor situations, with lots of foliage(something that is very hard for systems to run smooth). Therefore, it will require extremely high end pc' s to run it nicely, whereas Doom 3 doesn' t, which is why there isnt such a big difference in graphics when comparing the Xbox to PC versions of Doom.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 07:54
No, dans point is that for the PC version the code will be far less optimized as they have much more to take into consideration, be that varying video and sound cards, physics processors or multi-core CPU' s. The reason console games can look as good but use far less actual " power" is because the code is super optimized (in games done well like The Chronicle of Riddick and Doom 3 on Xbox), and that' s because every console is exactly the same. They have just one GPU to program for and one type of instruction set rather than having to make sure the code runs of a shitload of generations and variants of PC graphics cards.

Now technologically 360' s GPU is as capable as many of the 1st wave next-gen DX10 compliant cards. It has a RAM limitation but again, is everything is optimized then that should only result in lower texture quality. 360 has a couple of aces and the eDRAM will be used to it' s maximum potential, but there' s nothing in the DX9 screens that 360' s can' t do.

The 360 version will look very much like this...

...but would realistically expect better texture quality for things like floors and walls.

Now CryENGINE 2 looks very impressive, and sure, PC' s equipped with the best graphics cards and really fast processors will get 80fps out of Crysis. But remember that 360 is able to run DX10 components. It never needed to be 100% compliant as there' s a lot of stuff that wouldn' t relate to the console. Basically Microsoft made sure the custom 360 version of DX was a 9/10 hybrid and as such no games have taken full advantage of it yet. Crysis will though. It won' t make the game look as good as the PC version, far from it, but it' ll look much better than some people expect.

I expect a locked 30fps though.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 08:26
The Xenos GPU is not as technologically capable as the 8800 series. Read the specs on both GPU' s and you' ll see the only thing they really have in common are unified shaders.

I' d like to think of it as " DX9.5 capable" or something. Microsoft has brought DX10 features to the 360 development tools. Whether or not these are possible depends on what the hardware is capable of. From what I' ve read (solid info on Xenos is lacking) Xenos has features and capabilities that are clearly beyond the current Shader Model 3.0 DirectX9 specification (PS3' s RSX, current PC GPU' s) while it lacks features that are requirements for DX10. The 360 will never be able to run DX10 features that require hardware support, unless Microsoft upgrades Xenos (which will be never). Programmers may be able to put together something that looks very similar to DX10 effects but it won' t be the real deal. So if the Crysis engine uses DX10 effects that depend on hardware, those effects won' t be possible on the 360.

It really does depend on the skill of the developers and how much time they' re willing to spend on it. In short, it has good DX9 support and can do some advanced things with that, but there is no DX10 hardware in the 360.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 08:33
My understanding is that the R500 is of the same architechture as the R600. The three main differences being the the ram, edram the on the R500 and the fact that the R600 has 64 shaders while Xenos has 48.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 09:29
The R500 is the parent architecture of the R600, but the R600 will have vastly superior specs in every way, with full DX10 hardware support, SM4.0, etc. In fact, while the R500 does have unified shaders (pixel and vertex), I don' t think it supports geometry shaders that are supported on the DX10 (8800/R600) GPU' s.

Personally, I can' t wait to see the R600 in action. Should be a real treat to see how far ATI/AMD have managed to push their design.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 10:13
Ignoring the hypocritial posts by some trying to start another flame war (and blantantly shows to be hurtin).

Crysis.

After seeing alot more on the game, i see that it will be more than another average shooter in new visuals, These are the kinda of physics ive been waiting to see in games for a long, long time.. We was promised this kinda of thing back with the 360s XDNA development tools, which tuned out to be a total let down.

Now DX 10 PCs will actually do this shit, starting with Crysis. Its been ages since ive actually been excited over graphical technologies. (apart from VF5 and a tiny bit a MS).

Lately its all been pure gameplay VIA the DS and now Wii, im now actually looking forward to upgrading my Pc and looking out for the new games that we' ll be seeing in the not so distant future.

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Crysis confirmed for 360 - Jan 16, 2007 17:07
Xenos doesn' t take a performance hit from FSAA, alpha blending or z-buffering as the eDRAM handles them separately.

Spec-wise we' re looking at:

Triangle Setup - 500 Million Triangles/sec
Vertex Shader Processing - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec *
Filtered Texture Fetch - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec
Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec
Pixel Shader Processing without Textures - Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec *
Multisampled Fill Rate - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec
Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec
Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing - Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec
Frame Buffer Bandwidth - 256.0 GB/sec
Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth - 22.4 GB/sec
Shader Model - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture

Now if i look at the GeForce 8800 GTX it walks all over Xenos. It won' t be fully taken advantage of for a while but yeah it stomps up and down on Xenos with big black boots.

But if i look at 8 series models that will be available from next month, and i' m talking 8600 GT, 8300 GT and 8300 GS - 3 cards that will make up 50% of 8 series, Xenos comes out pretty damn well. It certainly out performs 7 series.

360 is a closed environment so the API is tailored to take advantage of the entire thing. Efficiency is higher and the game code more streamlined. The better developers will be able to get some great results for the console and again, as said, the 360 version of Crysis will undoubtedly look much like the DX9 version.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message