Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Playstation 3
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 03:14

ORIGINAL: RavenShadow

I was just reading the article about the PS3 on the main page.
It says that the PS3 might be out sometime in 2005. This pisses me off because I still have the PS2 with tons of great games to play and instead of just sticking to what tons of people are already happy with they go and make it better making the older systems slowly slip into obscurity.
I wish companies could stick to a system and keep it around for longer than just a handful of years, especially when they are still making great games for them.
Oh well, I guess it is inevitable
There is my little rant

Games are not what sold the PS2 initially in Japan. The fact that it had a DVD player at a cheaper pricepoint than any standalone DVD player at the time, plus secondarily the brand and the promise of upcoming games, are what sold the machine.

Over time, and particularly in the west, the games have obviously played an important part. But the game line-up was only ever stronger because of that head start, in which time many developers were won over by the larger user base. Developers prefer making games on the Microsoft platform but the publishers don' t see it like that.

This next generation promises to be wildly different potentially, especially if Microsoft meets its promise of coming to market first. If they do, then I can' t see the lead being that great, therefore it will be a really interesting battle between the two giants.

Make no mistake however, I say two giants for a reason; Nintendo and its new machine is in a completely different space to these two machines now... Sony and Microsoft are in the " living room" market with Nintendo staying firmly in the bedroom market. Sure they all play games, but the strategies these companies are eploying to battle in the market are wildly different. It will be all about Sony and Microsoft next gen. And there will never have been a more exciting battle in gaming. I am quite excited.

All we need now is a timeline/schedule for Xbox 2 but we' ll have to wait a short while for that methinks.

By the way you can always quote kikizo articles too you know. ;-)
sevenDoors

• Total Posts : 1
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 05:24
Sorry that I have to dissappoint the ones hoping to see the PS3 in 2004 with my first post here, but you should take a closer look to the timeline.
It says 2. half of FISCAL YEAR 2004 and not this calendar year.

Sony' s fiscal year ' 04 ends 03.31.05. So the PS3 will be shown next year if they are not stupid and take away a lot of potential PS2 buying customers for this holiday season. The casual gamer could be unsure if their PS2 may be " cool" enough after anouncing the nextgen, not knowing that he/she has to wait for more than year to get their hands on it. And even this year wait could be enough to make them wait for PS3 rather than buying the PS2 now i.e. this christmas, as the statistics say (do not ask me for a source it was a news on gamespot) that the casual gamer buys 3 - 5 games a year. So he/she may save the money for the PS3 knowing it will be the hottest thing in town when it launches.
< Message edited by sevenDoors -- 7/14/2004 5:26:31 AM >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 06:21
Screw the PS3 I' m waiting for the PS9.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 13:33

ORIGINAL: sevenDoors

Sorry that I have to dissappoint the ones hoping to see the PS3 in 2004 with my first post here, but you should take a closer look to the timeline.
It says 2. half of FISCAL YEAR 2004 and not this calendar year.

Sony' s fiscal year ' 04 ends 03.31.05. So the PS3 will be shown next year if they are not stupid and take away a lot of potential PS2 buying customers for this holiday season. The casual gamer could be unsure if their PS2 may be " cool" enough after anouncing the nextgen, not knowing that he/she has to wait for more than year to get their hands on it. And even this year wait could be enough to make them wait for PS3 rather than buying the PS2 now i.e. this christmas, as the statistics say (do not ask me for a source it was a news on gamespot) that the casual gamer buys 3 - 5 games a year. So he/she may save the money for the PS3 knowing it will be the hottest thing in town when it launches.

Hi " sevenDoors"

You' re totally right, we only received the images from the conference in Japan late last night and prior to that point all we had to go on was some other reports from the conference.

Full changes have been made to that article: http://games.kikizo.com/news/200407/017.asp

Although I still wouldn' t be surprised if the PS3 does debut this year, or even moreso if the Xbox2 debuts this year either........

HydroGen

• Total Posts : 52
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 14:45
I think the PS3 will be released in Japan first and the next Xbox will be released in America and Europe first.
I also wonder if Microsoft and Sony cancelled this years sports titles for extra time on the next gen games.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 14, 2004 14:49

Make no mistake however, I say two giants for a reason; Nintendo and its new machine is in a completely different space to these two machines now... Sony and Microsoft are in the " living room" market with Nintendo staying firmly in the bedroom market.

Bingo. Perfectly worded.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 15, 2004 01:11
That' s still not going to stop Nintendo' s machine from cutting into the sales and marketshare of the Sony and Microsoft machines and vice versa :)
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 7/15/2004 1:12:50 AM >
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 15, 2004 19:34
My worst nightmare would be the XPlayCube...all corporations merge and make one super console.

Without competition, everyone suffers...
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 17, 2004 02:46
Right, everyone plays games that are rated " E" because thier parents know of the " adverse affects of video games" thanks to that faggot Sen. Liberman. I hate to tell you, my little cousin (hes 11) owns a PS2 and Xbox, and his game collection is around 70% T and M rated games. Yet for some reason, parents think that games such as GTA, Halo, and Max Payne (all of which he plays or played a lot) will turn you into a gun toting maniac. If this were true Mortal Kombat would have had me trying to decapitate anyone within a square mile. If your parents wont let there " little sweetums play violent games" , maybe you should show them that your mature enough to handle it. And I would like to say for the record, all people who have commited crimes and blamed games were mentaly unstable before playing. Also, as pointed out, the demograph for (real) systems (PS2 and Xbox) is 16+ anyway. The PS3 is not going to take the Nintendo approach and release 20 " E" games and 2 " T" games, it just aint gonna happen. Now, as for who is gonna win, I really dont know, and right now really isnt the time to argue that, when all we have to go on are rumors.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 17, 2004 04:12

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

That' s still not going to stop Nintendo' s machine from cutting into the sales and marketshare of the Sony and Microsoft machines and vice versa :)

I' ve been reading a lot of statements like this, but does anyone actually know anything about nintendo' s next endevour? I' ve read it' s not going to be a console, but a new way of playing games.

The idea sounds great, but with knowing nothing about it, what is convincing everyone that it(the new nintendo " system" ) is going to be any good at all?
immortaldanmx

RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 27, 2004 23:34
sorry bout that. I posted that in the wrong thread. Im turning into a stupid noob.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 28, 2004 00:23
The only problem with the PS3 is if it becomes a fully functional entertainment system. I' m all for evolution of the game industry but when I buy a games console I buy it to play games. I don' t care if it can play CD' s, DVD' s, MP3' s or whatever else has been rumoured for the PS3 to play / do. I want my games console to play games. All these add-on' s and flashy accessories just bump up the price.

I' m sure the games will look stunning on the device... I' m expecting nothing less than Pixar movie quality looking games. Judging from the XNA demo' s that’s what the X-Box 2 graphics will look like.

When the PS3 does come out I' m not likely to snap one up straight away. If the launch line up is anything like the PS2' s It' ll be a year or two before I even consider shelling out my hard earned cash, cheers.

I' m actually waiting for Nintendo' s next console. It' s sounding like the most pure games console of the next lot.
Beef Shala

• Total Posts : 89
RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 28, 2004 15:26
Nintendo always has the purest gaming console on the lot. They always make their systems with solely the gamer on their mind. If only Nintendo could get some real third party support and attain an adult/cool factor that Sony and Microsoft possess, then Nintendo would always produce the best gaming console on the market.
immortaldanmx

RE: Playstation 3 - Jul 28, 2004 17:30
Paul, the XNA vids arent exactly NextBox. They are just the XNA software suite which covers all future Xbox systems, PC, and Mobile.

On another note, I didnt post that in the wrong thread, it was in response to the " xbox2 will fail because of T and M games" . Though I really do feel like a noob for have to post a correction of a correction.
vanswa garbutt

• Total Posts : 412
RE: Playstation 3 - Aug 30, 2004 18:11

screw the ps3 i' m waiting for the ps9
i agree but am getting the ds.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Playstation 3 - Sep 04, 2004 19:47
I wouldn' t worry yourself too much, RavenShadow.

Now that the XBOX 2 looks to be delayed until 2006, Sony is sure to take a bit more time to get everything just right. To do this, Sony will delay their launch to just before the XBOX 2 to beat M$ to market.

Either way, both the XBOX 2 and PS3 will come out in 2006.

At least that gives you more time with your PS2...
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 9/4/2004 7:47:57 PM >
Regret in 2010

• Total Posts : 106
RE: Playstation 3 - Sep 07, 2004 03:38

I' ve been reading a lot of statements like this, but does anyone actually know anything about nintendo' s next endevour? I' ve read it' s not going to be a console, but a new way of playing games.

i heard its being called the " revolution" for now. maybe that means youre right, or maybe that means its going to be a console that has a new way of playing games, too
< Message edited by Jonah Shoemaker -- 9/7/2004 3:44:03 AM >
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread