Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Who needs MGS4?!
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 58 of 58
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:32
My problem with MGS is that it must always go so fucking far away from any realistic feeling like having a biseuxell vampyr.

What is cool about that?

Seriously,wtf.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:34
Yeah but in the first three Spliter Cell games you couldn' t kill just anybody. Killing innocents terminated the mission. In Double Agent however you can kill innocents but it comes with a penalty.

In Rainbow Six however i would hae liked the option to arrest and incapacitate foes rather than be forced to kill them.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:35
Yeah I hated Vamp too. I' m usually OK with things that are slightly unrealistic but Vamp was a damn joke.
QuezcatoL

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:36
I let the crusier get blown up,so i could keep my hoe.

Just doing what mikay-d would do.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:36

I' m glad that the MGS series takes a stand against violence through it' s storyline despite the game forcing you to use violence throughout the games.

....you better change that quick before half of kikizo asks weather you' ve actually ever played a Metal Gear game.......
QuezcatoL

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:37
He means that Snake for ex get damaged for smoking,and that you can knock out people or use a sleep gun,instead of actually killing the guards.

Ofc u can do that in SC also.
ginjirou

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:39
Well OK, how about this
" I' m glad that the MGS series takes a stand against violence through it' s storyline despite the game making the use of violence very tempting"
Nitro

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:39

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

He means that Snake for ex get damaged for smoking,and that you can knock out people or use a sleep gun,instead of actually killing the guards.

Ofc u can do that in SC also.

Ah, but gutting a terrorist is so much more satisfying...
ginjirou

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:45
The reason I think MGS is more against violence than Splinter Cell isn' t due to the actions available in the game.
It' s the story. Sure, there' s lots of violence in it but there' s a thread through the whole story that constantly tells you that violence, nukes, terrorism and such is wrong.
Of course, Splinter Cell isn' t exactly making those things look like fun either but it still gloryfies the use of violence in it' s storyline. And it makes the story seem " exciting" instead of making it " touching" as in MGS.
I guess the gameplay plays a big part. MGS is like an animé with some interactive sequences with the purpose of telling a story and making you engaged in it, while Splinter Cell is much more a game with focus on immersion and entertainment.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 10 Dec 06 14:45:49 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:45
Using a Chainsaw on you in GoW feels much better
Nitro

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:49

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Using a Chainsaw on you in GoW feels much better

I was trying to grenade tag you but when i was close enough i realised it was a smoke grenade...

The reason I think MGS is more against violence than Splinter Cell isn' t due to the actions available in the game.
It' s the story. Sure, there' s lots of violence in it but there' s a thread through the whole story that constantly tells you that violence, nukes, terrorism and such is wrong.
Of course, Splinter Cell isn' t exactly making those things look like fun either but it still gloryfies the use of violence in it' s storyline. And it makes the story seem " exciting" instead of making it " touching" as in MGS.
I guess the gameplay plays a big part. MGS is like an animé with some interactive sequences with the purpose of telling a story and making you engaged in it, while Splinter Cell is much more a game with focus on immersion and entertainment.

Ok, i agree with that.
QuezcatoL

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 22:52
U gonna play some XBl today majik?

Did u see what i did today?

Finsihed the whole campaign on Normal ^^ in GRAW this morning,just for the achivments.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 10, 2006 23:07

There are more things but Eddie will be reading this and he has only just bought the game so i' ll stop here.
Thanks Majik. It' s DROOOOL-A-RIFFIC.

I' ve beaten the first Splinter Cell without firing a round. I' ve beaten the second without firing a round (I think). And I used 1 round in Chaos Theory when I had to kill Shetland, but I had absolutely no choice in that one seeing as you couldn' t move the recticle beyond his head.

MGS3 I' ve beaten without using a single real bullet, but that' s almost easier because you get rewarded for only knocking people out.

I' m liking the " Realistic" Double Agent mode that starts you W/O any rounds at all. I love it when they cater to their gamers.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 11, 2006 01:46

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

I' ve beaten the first Splinter Cell without firing a round. I' ve beaten the second without firing a round (I think). And I used 1 round in Chaos Theory when I had to kill Shetland, but I had absolutely no choice in that one seeing as you couldn' t move the recticle beyond his head.

So... what was your work around for Kombayn Nikoladz in the first one??
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 11, 2006 03:59
Well, look, first I appreciate the folks in this thread who have not resorted to accusing me of being a conspiracy theorist who loved Bill Clinton and needs to see innocent people die in order to be satisfied that a game is not jingoistic.

I' ll try out SC: Double Agent. It sounds like it' s got some complex ethical dilemmas in its storyline. (Although according to VX Tom Clancy hasn' t really been very involved in writing this series aside from his company name being on it.) The part that will exasperate you all is that it' ll probably take me a couple of months before I can play it, but I' ll be true to my word and play it. Who knows, maybe I' ll end up being a big fan of the series.

I' ll still think that since I' m willing to try out something that I didn' t want to at first, you guys should try a recommendation of mine. How about reading " Manufacturing Consent" by Chomsky and think about how it might apply to gamers. I know you probably won' t but you guys have convinced me to play a Clancy game ffs.

< Message edited by Zoy -- 10 Dec 06 20:24:09 >
ginjirou

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 11, 2006 04:39
Sounds like an interesting book Zoy.
It is about the media such as news papers and the competitive markets affects on it right?
Here in Sweden you can easily see that news papers tend to report stuff that will make people buy the paper, instead of reporting important stuff.
So much of what we have on our " news" papers is stuff about celebrities and scandals.
My father works as a journalist and he was once in charge of the news bill content for one of the major newspapers here. He once chose to focus on a terrible earthquake in some third world country that killed lots of people. By lots I mean a terrible amount of people, although I can' t remember the numbers.
That day the paper barely sold at all. It was an important news article but no one cared.
After that the paper practically never had such reports on the front page or the news bill. All other papers working under the pressure of a competetive market does the same.
I don' t know if a newspaper would digress from reporting about the government from a critical point of view since lots of readers actually find enjoyment in reading about government scandals.
But I guess the book describes the matter more closely.
I would assume that Kikizo and other videogame media also have a pressure on themselves under competitive circumstances and therefor might not say what they honestly think sometimes.
ginjirou

RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 11, 2006 04:42
Just read about the word jingoism as I didn' t know what it meant.
Pretty suiting word for many videogames and movies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoistic

" There is much talk about ' jingoism' . If by ' jingoism' they mean a policy in pursuance of which Americans will with resolution and common sense insist upon our rights being respected by foreign powers, then we are ' jingoes' ."

Interesting take on the word.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 10 Dec 06 20:43:33 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Who needs MGS4?! - Dec 11, 2006 04:57

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

So... what was your work around for Kombayn Nikoladz in the first one??
Grenades and about an hour-and-a-half of work.

It wasn' t the lobbing it in the window that was hard, it was the avoiding/stupid elbow-striking the two guards that come up as you run out of that long room to the exit door.
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 58 of 58

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message