Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 UPDATED!!!
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 53
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:16
god damn guys it was just a joke calm down, i do like the PS3 but thats just because IT OWNS (then again another joke, taje it easy)

I love we are getting an OS out of the boxi travel alot and i have to carry my laptop and my PS2, and my PSP, so now i will just load my PS3 and im set, thats just awesome. i really dont get why u dont like the PS3 but hell, more units for me rigth??? im gonna get one this year and another next, BTW mymom whants one aswell and i think im gonna but one for my cousin at its birthday (the standart version tho)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:22
No you won' t. They don' t allow forklifts on planes anymore.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 17 Oct 06 0:22:41 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:26
Oooooooooooooooo FACED!
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:42
Didn' t PS2 have some kinda OS you could run on a disc at some point, which you could program for and everything. That turned out a success! I can' t seem to remember what it was...

Just download linux for free. It' ll run much better on most people' s ' old' computer. What would you use it for anyway on a PS3 that most people couldn' t do already on their PS3s/PCs?
fernandino

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:52

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

No you won' t. They don' t allow forklifts on planes anymore.

For real??' i must have missed that announcement last time i traveled because of the turbine was so loud... whait no, that wasnt a turbine, the noise came from the 360´s fan the guy next to me was playing, my bad.

Then again, talking seriously... THE PS3 AND ITS OS FROM THE BOX OWN

Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:14
Ach! You hit my weak point! You and your real-time weapon change!

Just download linux for free. It' ll run much better on most people' s ' old' computer. What would you use it for anyway on a PS3 that most people couldn' t do already on their PS3s/PCs?
Inflict " massive damage" to their box?
THE PS3 AND ITS OS FROM THE BOX OWNFind me the link to the Sony Site that says it' s out of the box. It' s not PS3' s OS, you can' t poison the penguin with corporate labels, from any side.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 17 Oct 06 1:18:47 >
fernandino

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:24
I SAID LEAVE THE PENGUIN ALONE ASSHOLE

Ouch, that about the massive damage hurt almost as much as when i tatooed the release day from halo 2, whait, again it wasnt me, pfeeeeeeew, close one
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:31

Ouch, that about the massive damage hurt almost as much as when i tatooed the release day from halo 2, whait, again it wasnt me, pfeeeeeeew, close one
Uh no, I gotta agree with you, that was pretty dumb. I' m not an Xbox fan despite what you think, I only just bought the 360 this august, and I' ve never even played story mode for Halo 2. I' m just a displaced Sega fan clinging to a broken past, trying to find a home.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 17:46

ORIGINAL = Majikdra6on

Obviously this will force Microsoft to react, and i think they' ll hit back by making 360 dual boot and run Vista sometime next year. If they don' t then Sony have a major advantage. If they do, then Microsoft could have a significant advantage due to the nature of their software, especially as far as things like homebrew are concerned.

That very idea is outrageous. Microsoft aren' t going to do anything. I' m sure you' ve heard Peter Moore go on and on about the Xbox 360 concept model:

Games are at the center
Friends are next
Lifestyle at the edges

If they put Vista on the X360 it' d be going against that model (which is what X360 is based on). It' s very bad business to react to everything that your competition does because that effectively means you' re no longer in control of your own product. Microsoft have their own business model and strategy, and they' ll stick to it no matter what Sony does.

The Linux OS on the PS3 is going to be locked down so hard that you' ll be lucky to see anything other than a web browser. Anyone who thinks that this means " homebrew for all" is clueless. The PS3 is Sony' s baby and they' re not going to let anything potentially compromising happen to it. Not to mention that Sony would have to release the dev tools to the public in order to allow people to compile programs (which will mean all sorts of trouble). As loco stated, while the core may be PowerPC based, the SPE' s run on different instruction sets so in order to access all that " power" you need a compiler tailored to those needs.

So for all those people getting their hopes up about a fully fledged cheap PC, you' re going to be sorely disappointed come release day.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 17 Oct 06 9:50:43 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 18:44
What i' m saying is that Sony will ape XNA through Linux.

You don' t think Microsoft would consider giving 360 a derivative of Vista tailored for the console. Why not? The next logical step would be to shape 360 as a complete media centre, giving it the features found in Media Centre PC' s.

As for Linux on PS3, ...wouldn' t the fact that it' s going to use E17 mean that it' ll have a full desktop interface?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 18:55
I dont htink MS will put Vista on the 360, never say never ofcourse, but i really doubt it! theyll probably add more mediacenter support
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:10
Well the Media Centre functionality as it is is lame. I have a Media Centre laptop and i' ve been far from impressed. PSP' s media capabilities are superior to 360' s right now.

Microsoft entered the console race to try and stop Sony from taking control of peoples living rooms. Both companies are positioning their machines as media HUB' s and i think a web browser at the very least is a definite for 360. Microsoft supply operating systems with desktop functionality for cellphones, why not 360?
Vx Chemical

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:30

Well the Media Centre functionality as it is is lame. I have a Media Centre laptop and i' ve been far from impressed. PSP' s media capabilities are superior to 360' s right now.

Microsoft entered the console race to try and stop Sony from taking control of peoples living rooms. Both companies are positioning their machines as media HUB' s and i think a web browser at the very least is a definite for 360. Microsoft supply operating systems with desktop functionality for cellphones, why not 360?

I dont think its what people want! I dont want my xbox 360 to be a PC, i want it to be a gaming console and maybe a movie player! MS doesnt need to get into the that market since they are already controlling it. I dont think anything sony does can make that slip!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:54

I dont think its what people want! I dont want my xbox 360 to be a PC

why do you always make it sound like a bad thing, what can it do for you if your 360 does some stuff your pc does, how many times some members of the family are on the desktop and you want them to free the stop so you could just check something. they giving you some pc features for free (or even for a cheap price) , why do you think it' s a bad deal... unbelievable.
Vx Chemical

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:59

why do you always make it sound like a bad thing, what can it do for you if your 360 does some stuff your pc does, how many times some members of the family are on the desktop and you want them to free the stop so you could just check something. they giving you some pc features for free (or even for a cheap price) , why do you think it' s a bad deal... unbelievable.

I got plenty of Pc' s in my house! i bought a console to play games on! its not a good idea, the more stuff you throw into a machine the more complicated it gets, and there are more things that can break!
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 21:15
1080p wasn' t planned either but they' ve matched Sony on that front too.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 22:34

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

What i' m saying is that Sony will ape XNA through Linux.

Sony will probably release development tools (for a price like the PS2 ones) for the hardcore garage developers. But Sony is not a software company and so support they' ll give will be limited (by choosing *nix they' ve pretty much washed their hands of any responsibility), and considering how complex it is to develop for the PS3, it doesn' t look like it will be as accessible as everyone thinks. From Sony' s past actions, I can' t really see them embracing homebrew anymore than they have before. I may be wrong but I' m just going by what seems logical.

You don' t think Microsoft would consider giving 360 a derivative of Vista tailored for the console. Why not? The next logical step would be to shape 360 as a complete media centre, giving it the features found in Media Centre PC' s.

By giving the 360 a Vista derivative, it' d be like Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. Vista will be coming out with enhanced streaming capabilities so they' ll want people to buy it for that. Giving it to the X360 would be killing sales for Vista.

Not only that but Microsoft have a responsibility to all the home theatre/media PC companies who use XP/Vista MCE. They' d be in an uproar if Microsoft turned the X360 into a home theatre PC for practically nothing because it' d kill their sales. Microsoft will want these companies to continue to use MCE in their products. They' ll lose more than they' ll gain if they put large OS capabilities in the X360 (through loss of OS sales and lawsuits), so it just doesn' t make much sense.

As for Linux on PS3, ...wouldn' t the fact that it' s going to use E17 mean that it' ll have a full desktop interface?

It may have a full desktop interface but that doesn' t really mean anything when you' re dealing with Linux. Most likely when you boot into it, you' ll be running a highly restricted account with no execute(x) or write(w) permissions, only read(r).
There may be limited (x)(w) permissions but certainly not enough to allow fully fledged OS capabilites. It' ll be locked down hard. It' s very easy to do with Linux and it' s one of the reasons why it can be so secure.
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 22:48
Nice dude, very nice!

After reading that i take my ill concieved thoughts back...
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 18, 2006 03:18
I never thought I' d say it, but I think there were too many valid points on this page.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 18, 2006 09:20
linux on PS3 will be ZERO help to developing for PS3. The games don' t run through the linux part and the part that makes it hard to develop for is the architecture which does not change by putting linux on the machine.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 53

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message