Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 UPDATED!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 53
Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 UPDATED!!! - Oct 16, 2006 22:54
It' s official. Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 will be used for PS3.

The fact that it will feature a fully functioning desktop, as denoted by the " Featuring E17" in this image...

...on Terrasoft Solutiuons HOMEPAGE means that PS3' s value just skyrocketed.

The machine is in sense a desktop PC and should be usable as one. My guess is that it' ll be dual boot, with the actual gaming side being separate from the " PC" side.

E17 is the name for the new desktop interface, and YDL 5.0 is the newest build of the popular OS. It' ll be available for PS3 before anything else, and that includes desktop PC' s proper.

E17 looks like this (2nd image is the ' Slate' theme)...

...but whether or not the PS3 build will look exactly like that is unclear right now. Whether or not PS3 will come pre-installed with the OS or not is also unclear, but having to buy a disc or download the software would be unreasonable.

Obviously this will force Microsoft to react, and i think they' ll hit back by making 360 dual boot and run Vista sometime next year. If they don' t then Sony have a major advantage. If they do, then Microsoft could have a significant advantage due to the nature of their software, especially as far as things like homebrew are concerned.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 18 Oct 06 14:21:33 >

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 16, 2006 23:25
The only reason Sony is pushing the PS3 as a computer is to get a refund from EU import charges. As computers have always been exempt from EU import charges while consoles have not. They lost a five year legal battle with the classification of the PS2 causing them to lose a 63 000 000$ refund.

So I' m not surprised when I see Sonys marketing say to the press that the PS3 is not a console but a computer. The question I' m asking myself now and what will be raised in UK courts is does having a HDD and an operating system make the PS3 a computer?

One thing I am sure of is that neither the consumer or MS will care if the PS3 has Linux. No one buys console to do the things that our PC does better.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 06 15:26:53 >

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:03
Sony' s consoloes have always appealed and been popular amongst a demographic not generally associated with PC' s. While this obviously doesn' t mean an awful lot for you, myself and many of our peers, it will mean something to more casual gamers who don' t own PC' s, or those who do own PC' s but not a very good one.

Bear in mind that Linux is open source. User created apps could very well become huge amongst Sony' s userbase and the potential for community development projects is large enough to warrant interest.

If anything, it' s a nice " extra" feature to have.

The only thing that could cause problems is the machines serious lack of main memory. CELL can' t render the whole 512MB and so you' d have 256MB RAM and CELL' s local store to manage the OS and running apps.

Agent Ghost
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:08
Do you know how many people buying a 600 dollar console do not own a computer? NONE, everyone that can afford PS3 has a computer in the houshold.

And yeah it is a nice feature, I never said I woulnd' t be interested. my point was that Sony isn' t interested, the only reason they are talking about it is to win the classification case for the ps3 rather then to sell more PS3s.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 06 16:11:45 >

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:30

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Do you know how many people buying a 600 dollar console do not own a computer? NONE, everyone that can afford PS3 has a computer in the houshold.

That' s a broad generalization, but i' d be inclined to agree with you. The same couldn' t be said about PS2' s userbase tjhough, so Sony would be marketing their new console towards an older audience and that wouldn' t be very wise if they' re interested in dominating the market.

Agent Ghost
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:33
yeah and even the 360 with its higher price tag is doing the same as it has a higher price then last gen as well, which is the best explanation I have for 360 sales being weaker then Xbox sales comparatively to the time in their respective times. Albeit the change won' t be as hard as it will be with the PS3.

Rampage99
  • Total Posts : 3161
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 01:29
This thread qualifies an " I told you so" from me to Majik, lol. Faced.

Anyway, there is no reason for the MS to retaliate with Vista on the 360. There is no reason to put a computer operating system on a gaming console. Gaming consoles are just that, gaming consoles. Sure I like having DVD play back and the new picture and other video features are nice but I' d rather not have my gaming console left open to getting f*cked up.

This pushes my point that PS3s will now be prone to viral attacks. At some point I' m sure there will be viruses that bring the PS3 comunity to a crashing hault. 3rd party developers have already said PS3 games will allow distribution of user created content. This is a huge risk with an open source operating system.

Sony is trying to make themselves look better by squeezing out every feature that gets into their head but it' s causing their system to become worse off. It' s already a pain in the ass to program for, it has severe over heating issues, it costs too much, it' s making Sony loose money, it' s production is causing mass delays in most of the world, and now the console is being left open to viruses and easy hacking. I can' t figure out what is going through Sony' s heads right now...

Btw... that OS is fugly.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 16 Oct 06 17:29:59 >
XBL Gamertag: Rampage99

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

fernandino
  • Total Posts : 661
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:00

ORIGINAL:
Btw... that OS is fugly.

SHUT YOUR GODDAMNED MOUTH, PINGU FTW¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:04
Sony fanboy! you got sony so much up your *** its spewing out your mouth!

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:11
Guys, we only listen to Fernandino when he is talking sense and not about him
having contacts in Kojima productions about if VF5 is coming on 360 or not...

There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:13
i can' t believe what i just read from some people, adressing this like if it' s nothing important and worse like if it' s something bad.

i think the value of ps3 had just skyrocketed as magik mentioned, having an awesome computer for 600 or even 500 dollar for " extra" is just an awesome deal, this will push many mainstream people to buy ps3, and some people will make of this a good arguement if they want to perceive their parents for buying a ps3. it' ll make ps3 sell MUCH easier for mainstream.

on another hand, you' ll get all the benefit for the homebrew comunities, so many softwares will show up, so many emulators (virtual console anyone? ) and much more, many of us already know that we can plug a usb keyboard already and mouse by that matterso i think this will be huge, just have a look of what they did with the psp , no i can imagine what wonderful things could be created out of linux ( a well known and powerful OS)... the only hassle i see is the lack of RAM but still man how can you complain and a whole computer was for as an " extra" !

Rampage99
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:16
Hmm... this is true... emulation. Yay, people won' t have to buy PS3 games anymore because they' ll be able to mod their PS3 using the open source OS and then just download the games right onto the HD because it has an internet browser! Yay Sony!

" Basically, pollute the air all you want, your just speeding up the inevitable. Our future generations are f*cked as it is and there' s really nothing we can do about it. Have a nice day "

Abasoufiane
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:21
mainstream don' t know how to do this .... and that is not my point, emulation ro whatever , the point is it' ll open huge possibilities and it' s an extra for ps3 as a console first and foremost...

Rampage99
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:29

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

mainstream don' t know how to do this .... and that is not my point, emulation ro whatever , the point is it' ll open huge possibilities and it' s an extra for ps3 as a console first and foremost...

And that' s my point, mainstream isn' t buying it for the extra possibilities nor the open source OS. They are buying it to play games and because it says Playstation on the box. People that are buying it for the extra features do know about emulation and such. They will be the ones using it and it won' t be doing anything but hurting Sony because not only are they loosing money on the console but they will also loose money on games.

Vx Chemical
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:29
mainstream wont use it, mainstream use windows, its just a marketing ploy from Sony.

Id rather have had cheaper console than they spent time getting Linnux on it

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:41

original: rampage

Hmm... this is true... emulation. Yay, people won' t have to buy PS3 games anymore because they' ll be able to mod their PS3 using the open source OS and then just download the games right onto the HD because it has an internet browser! Yay Sony!

Well, they just killed their company with how much they lose per console, they' ll need game sells.

This is great news, I didnt plan to buy a PS3 for at least a year or two, but now Im reconsidering...
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:55
It wouldn' t surprise me if this was specific to the 60GB model as the other differences have been closed up.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 03:10
I could see that, I' ve been flopping back & forth in my decision to buy the 20 or the 60 gig version, but if this went exclusive to the 60, I' d get it for sure, If only because I like Linux.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 07:38
Wow! Awesome! With PS3' s amazing 256 MB of main memory you' ll be able to browse the internet and instant message at the same time!

I was considering possibly getting a PS3 because of the linux option but when you think about it it only has 256 MB of memory and a good PC has 10 times that amount. So all that processsing and graphics power doesn' t even matter because you can' t run anything on it anyways.

Also if you think you are going to be downloading all of these awesome open source linux programs think again. PS3 uses frickn' cell processors, everything is made for a totally differnet architecture and won' t work on a PS3. And with 256 MB of memory have fun emulating lol.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:13
Yeah, well, if we' re lucky, we can get a Solitaire emulator to run, but that' s if all your other apps are closed.

fernandino
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:16
god damn guys it was just a joke calm down, i do like the PS3 but thats just because IT OWNS (then again another joke, taje it easy)

I love we are getting an OS out of the boxi travel alot and i have to carry my laptop and my PS2, and my PSP, so now i will just load my PS3 and im set, thats just awesome. i really dont get why u dont like the PS3 but hell, more units for me rigth??? im gonna get one this year and another next, BTW mymom whants one aswell and i think im gonna but one for my cousin at its birthday (the standart version tho)

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:22
No you won' t. They don' t allow forklifts on planes anymore.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 17 Oct 06 0:22:41 >

Rampage99
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:26
Oooooooooooooooo FACED!

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:42
Didn' t PS2 have some kinda OS you could run on a disc at some point, which you could program for and everything. That turned out a success! I can' t seem to remember what it was...

Just download linux for free. It' ll run much better on most people' s ' old' computer. What would you use it for anyway on a PS3 that most people couldn' t do already on their PS3s/PCs?

fernandino
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:52

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

No you won' t. They don' t allow forklifts on planes anymore.

For real??' i must have missed that announcement last time i traveled because of the turbine was so loud... whait no, that wasnt a turbine, the noise came from the 360´s fan the guy next to me was playing, my bad.

Then again, talking seriously... THE PS3 AND ITS OS FROM THE BOX OWN

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:14
Ach! You hit my weak point! You and your real-time weapon change!

Just download linux for free. It' ll run much better on most people' s ' old' computer. What would you use it for anyway on a PS3 that most people couldn' t do already on their PS3s/PCs?
Inflict " massive damage" to their box?
THE PS3 AND ITS OS FROM THE BOX OWNFind me the link to the Sony Site that says it' s out of the box. It' s not PS3' s OS, you can' t poison the penguin with corporate labels, from any side.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 17 Oct 06 1:18:47 >

fernandino
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:24
I SAID LEAVE THE PENGUIN ALONE ASSHOLE

Ouch, that about the massive damage hurt almost as much as when i tatooed the release day from halo 2, whait, again it wasnt me, pfeeeeeeew, close one

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 09:31

Ouch, that about the massive damage hurt almost as much as when i tatooed the release day from halo 2, whait, again it wasnt me, pfeeeeeeew, close one
Uh no, I gotta agree with you, that was pretty dumb. I' m not an Xbox fan despite what you think, I only just bought the 360 this august, and I' ve never even played story mode for Halo 2. I' m just a displaced Sega fan clinging to a broken past, trying to find a home.

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 17:46

ORIGINAL = Majikdra6on

Obviously this will force Microsoft to react, and i think they' ll hit back by making 360 dual boot and run Vista sometime next year. If they don' t then Sony have a major advantage. If they do, then Microsoft could have a significant advantage due to the nature of their software, especially as far as things like homebrew are concerned.

That very idea is outrageous. Microsoft aren' t going to do anything. I' m sure you' ve heard Peter Moore go on and on about the Xbox 360 concept model:

Games are at the center
Friends are next
Lifestyle at the edges

If they put Vista on the X360 it' d be going against that model (which is what X360 is based on). It' s very bad business to react to everything that your competition does because that effectively means you' re no longer in control of your own product. Microsoft have their own business model and strategy, and they' ll stick to it no matter what Sony does.

The Linux OS on the PS3 is going to be locked down so hard that you' ll be lucky to see anything other than a web browser. Anyone who thinks that this means " homebrew for all" is clueless. The PS3 is Sony' s baby and they' re not going to let anything potentially compromising happen to it. Not to mention that Sony would have to release the dev tools to the public in order to allow people to compile programs (which will mean all sorts of trouble). As loco stated, while the core may be PowerPC based, the SPE' s run on different instruction sets so in order to access all that " power" you need a compiler tailored to those needs.

So for all those people getting their hopes up about a fully fledged cheap PC, you' re going to be sorely disappointed come release day.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 17 Oct 06 9:50:43 >

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 18:44
What i' m saying is that Sony will ape XNA through Linux.

You don' t think Microsoft would consider giving 360 a derivative of Vista tailored for the console. Why not? The next logical step would be to shape 360 as a complete media centre, giving it the features found in Media Centre PC' s.

As for Linux on PS3, ...wouldn' t the fact that it' s going to use E17 mean that it' ll have a full desktop interface?

Vx Chemical
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 18:55
I dont htink MS will put Vista on the 360, never say never ofcourse, but i really doubt it! theyll probably add more mediacenter support

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:10
Well the Media Centre functionality as it is is lame. I have a Media Centre laptop and i' ve been far from impressed. PSP' s media capabilities are superior to 360' s right now.

Microsoft entered the console race to try and stop Sony from taking control of peoples living rooms. Both companies are positioning their machines as media HUB' s and i think a web browser at the very least is a definite for 360. Microsoft supply operating systems with desktop functionality for cellphones, why not 360?

Vx Chemical
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:30

Well the Media Centre functionality as it is is lame. I have a Media Centre laptop and i' ve been far from impressed. PSP' s media capabilities are superior to 360' s right now.

Microsoft entered the console race to try and stop Sony from taking control of peoples living rooms. Both companies are positioning their machines as media HUB' s and i think a web browser at the very least is a definite for 360. Microsoft supply operating systems with desktop functionality for cellphones, why not 360?

I dont think its what people want! I dont want my xbox 360 to be a PC, i want it to be a gaming console and maybe a movie player! MS doesnt need to get into the that market since they are already controlling it. I dont think anything sony does can make that slip!

Abasoufiane
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:54

I dont think its what people want! I dont want my xbox 360 to be a PC

why do you always make it sound like a bad thing, what can it do for you if your 360 does some stuff your pc does, how many times some members of the family are on the desktop and you want them to free the stop so you could just check something. they giving you some pc features for free (or even for a cheap price) , why do you think it' s a bad deal... unbelievable.

Vx Chemical
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 19:59

why do you always make it sound like a bad thing, what can it do for you if your 360 does some stuff your pc does, how many times some members of the family are on the desktop and you want them to free the stop so you could just check something. they giving you some pc features for free (or even for a cheap price) , why do you think it' s a bad deal... unbelievable.

I got plenty of Pc' s in my house! i bought a console to play games on! its not a good idea, the more stuff you throw into a machine the more complicated it gets, and there are more things that can break!

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 21:15
1080p wasn' t planned either but they' ve matched Sony on that front too.

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 22:34

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

What i' m saying is that Sony will ape XNA through Linux.

Sony will probably release development tools (for a price like the PS2 ones) for the hardcore garage developers. But Sony is not a software company and so support they' ll give will be limited (by choosing *nix they' ve pretty much washed their hands of any responsibility), and considering how complex it is to develop for the PS3, it doesn' t look like it will be as accessible as everyone thinks. From Sony' s past actions, I can' t really see them embracing homebrew anymore than they have before. I may be wrong but I' m just going by what seems logical.

You don' t think Microsoft would consider giving 360 a derivative of Vista tailored for the console. Why not? The next logical step would be to shape 360 as a complete media centre, giving it the features found in Media Centre PC' s.

By giving the 360 a Vista derivative, it' d be like Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. Vista will be coming out with enhanced streaming capabilities so they' ll want people to buy it for that. Giving it to the X360 would be killing sales for Vista.

Not only that but Microsoft have a responsibility to all the home theatre/media PC companies who use XP/Vista MCE. They' d be in an uproar if Microsoft turned the X360 into a home theatre PC for practically nothing because it' d kill their sales. Microsoft will want these companies to continue to use MCE in their products. They' ll lose more than they' ll gain if they put large OS capabilities in the X360 (through loss of OS sales and lawsuits), so it just doesn' t make much sense.

As for Linux on PS3, ...wouldn' t the fact that it' s going to use E17 mean that it' ll have a full desktop interface?

It may have a full desktop interface but that doesn' t really mean anything when you' re dealing with Linux. Most likely when you boot into it, you' ll be running a highly restricted account with no execute(x) or write(w) permissions, only read(r).
There may be limited (x)(w) permissions but certainly not enough to allow fully fledged OS capabilites. It' ll be locked down hard. It' s very easy to do with Linux and it' s one of the reasons why it can be so secure.

Nitro
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 22:48
Nice dude, very nice!

After reading that i take my ill concieved thoughts back...

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 18, 2006 03:18
I never thought I' d say it, but I think there were too many valid points on this page.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 18, 2006 09:20
linux on PS3 will be ZERO help to developing for PS3. The games don' t run through the linux part and the part that makes it hard to develop for is the architecture which does not change by putting linux on the machine.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 53