Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New shots of PS3 hardware.
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 61
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 05:33
Hmm i' m sure i read it online... let me search...

My original source is no wikipidea, i think one of the sony guys said it, but until i find a better source...
The power supply will be built into the console. A standard 3-pin IEC connector is present at the base of the console.

from answers.com
The power supply will be built into the console instead of having a separate power adapter as is the case with the slim PlayStation 2 and the Xbox 360.

Still looking for the official comment i read though, but it' s all over the net about the internal psu
< Message edited by uumai -- 25 Aug 06 21:43:49 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 05:47
KK' s comments...

" We' ll use heat pipes and a custom cooling solution, but the methods used will be common," he said. " We definitely aren' t using any proprietary methods... We certainly couldn' t fit a liquid cooling system [inside the PS3]... We' re spending a lot on heat and electromagnetic interference [management].The power supply could almost be sold separately."

...had me thinking otherwise.

Original Article

BUT if it IS built i then that kicks ass. You certainly have a point about the IEC connector, i hadn' t even noticed it.
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 05:59
Yeah i saw that too, i' m sure it' s internal, i can' t remember where i read it, go with me on this. Besides... " could almost be sold seperately" ... i think they just wanna sell it as a seperate add-on product like a multi-tap to make more money...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 07:15
why do you think the console is so big? the power supply is internal, blue ray dosent take up that much space!
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 07:21

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

why do you think the console is so big? the power supply is internal, blue ray dosent take up that much space!

haha.

So... the PS3 is using heat pipes to cool the system, which from the wikipidea site suggests means the machine is pretty silent, and kept pretty cool. Much like the dev kits were reported as being, by our friends over at ign. This bodes well.

Honestly i know about liquid cooling, fans and stuff, but not heard of heat pipes before reading up on it on wiki. I assume the ps3 wouldnt need a fan then (except in the psu?), anyone know if uses fans? must do, right? what with all the ventilation...
< Message edited by uumai -- 25 Aug 06 23:22:00 >
Silentbomber

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 07:37
I really hope thats true, the noise allways takes away from your gaming!
Nitro

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:16

Have you seen the standalone Blu-Ray players?!

Honestly i know about liquid cooling, fans and stuff, but not heard of heat pipes before reading up on it on wiki. I assume the ps3 wouldnt need a fan then (except in the psu?), anyone know if uses fans? must do, right? what with all the ventilation...

Heat pipes conduct heat waaaaay faster than most other cooling methods buy there ARE fans involved. The process works in a similar way to liquid cooling where the heat is moved around but fans are used to create better airflow throughout the unit.

Before you start thinking heatpipes will be the magical solution to PS3 being quieter than 360 you should know that 360 ALSO uses heatpipes and still needs 2 fans to disperse the hot air.
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:18

I really hope thats true, the noise allways takes away from your gaming!

Yeah I remember when i got the newer quieter (big) ps2, it was such a different, sometimes i couldn' t tell i had it on... and going to standby was such a difference...

well, i think it was the wiki site that said it should be about as noisy as a slimline ps2

Thanks majik, nice to have you around for some solid bits of info
< Message edited by uumai -- 26 Aug 06 0:19:16 >
Nitro

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:22
Burp!

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 26 Aug 06 0:33:27 >
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:25

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Burp!

How comepletely random
Nitro

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:33

Part of me wants to get lost in the hype of a new system but the other part wants to stay grounded and realistic. I critisize what deserves to be critisized but give credit where it' s due and i never argue with nothing to back my statements up.

PS3 is shaping up to be awesome but it' s still not perfect. The thing is HUGE and even the sleek curves and agressive design can' t really hide that and neither can the colour. The pads a joke but the rest of the kit makes up for it and as long as they don' t fall short with their online service we' re probably looking at the overall market leader.

It should definately not be forgotten though that this generation will be FAR closer in terms of marketshare than previous generations and Sony is definately not guaranteed success. It' ll be 12 months easy before we have any idea who will come out ahead and in that time anything could change.

Launch is apporaching fast!
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 08:45
well said
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 26, 2006 12:26

Also, how the heck do you eject the games? and turn it on? Is it all done from the controller, the marks on the console suggesting eject and power, arent buttons... unless touch sensitive? - in which case, be carefull dusting off your console.

That' s what I was wondering, has anyone seen anything on the subject? Maybe they' ll have the switches on the back for your conveniece, or a retinal scanner to determine if you have security clearance to eject the disk.

Before you start thinking heatpipes will be the magical solution to PS3 being quieter than 360 you should know that 360 ALSO uses heatpipes and still needs 2 fans to disperse the hot air.

And the thing still runs hot as blazes.
Silentbomber

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 01:03
there is an eject button on the ps3, on the tray.
uumai

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 04:38

there is an eject button on the ps3, on the tray.

Is there? I see the symbol of ' eject' and power for that matter, but no button... am i just blind?
Silentbomber

RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 09:28
well the symbol is the button, I think. its ones of those steamlined buttons you find on microwaves and what not.

I could be wrong, I am no button expert.
shellizle

• Total Posts : 1
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 15:12
I remember how people used to make fun of xbox size... now look at the PS3, that shit is as big as a coffin... then again maybe that' s why is so damn expensive.. they realize that, well if they gonna spend that much on fucking game console.. they must gonna play that shit if it kills them.. so why not make it the size of a damn coffin, so they' ll get burried in it............. FUCKING JAPANESE FREAKS..
< Message edited by shellizle -- 27 Aug 06 7:14:18 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 15:35
That' s one way of making your entrance...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 16:52

I remember how people used to make fun of xbox size... now look at the PS3, that shit is as big as a coffin... then again maybe that' s why is so damn expensive.. they realize that, well if they gonna spend that much on fucking game console.. they must gonna play that shit if it kills them.. so why not make it the size of a damn coffin, so they' ll get burried in it............. FUCKING JAPANESE FREAKS..

OMG welcome to the site! Hehe! Hell im still laughing! i hope you stick around! random outbursts like this is so welcome in my eyes!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: New shots of PS3 hardware. - Aug 27, 2006 19:03
If PS3 runs silently with build in power supply , then it' s cooling system must truly be amazing , or MS didn' t care about the noise (I wouldn' t be surprised).
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 61

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message