Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best?
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 69
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 08, 2006 17:54

Ryu' s ass is tighter in part 2, so I have to say part 2 is better!

Ok, this has gone far enough. I can let you making fun of a respected member of our forum go. But to say Ryu' s ass is tighter in part 2 when it' s clearly tighter in part 1 is blasphemy.

Seriously though, shut up. Your' e an annoying prick.

As for the topic: I know I' ll be crucified for saying this on Kikizo, I didn' t care for either of them. No particular reason, it was by no means a horrible game, but I just didnt think it was great.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 09, 2006 00:05
The first game all the way, not only for its worldwide release on DC, but because at that time there was nothing that could touch it in terms of depth and innovation.

The fact that Yu Suzuki' s game even got made with it' s monumental development costs is worthy enough and despite technology marching on, it still feels lke a breath of fresh air both visually and well - spiritually too I guess.

It feels pure and crisp, and un-tainted by the later controversory of porting / xbox and us markets etc..

It is a magical game for me, and is right up there with Nights for pushing an artistic and deeply emotional concept through with little compromise.

Playing 2 just leaves me wanting 3 more!
< Message edited by musashi -- 8 Aug 06 16:06:15 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 09, 2006 00:53

The controls suck, but that could be because the Dreamcast controller is one of the worst ever created.

Whoever designed the Dreamcast controller should have been fired on the spot. I can' t believe they let that thing out of R & D.. They should have just slapped an analog stick on the Saturn pad and called it a day. They' d have the greatest controller evar!!!1!
pac666

• Total Posts : 6
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 09, 2006 05:42
As a purely personal choice I' d have to say the original Shenmue. It was a shockingly good piece of software with an unbelievable atmosphere. Shenmue 2 although also very good was really just more of the same with bells on (although disk 3 was very, very good).
Ceasu

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 12, 2006 23:33
Shenmue 2
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 04:08

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

The controls suck, but that could be because the Dreamcast controller is one of the worst ever created.

Whoever designed the Dreamcast controller should have been fired on the spot. I can' t believe they let that thing out of R & D.. They should have just slapped an analog stick on the Saturn pad and called it a day. They' d have the greatest controller evar!!!1!

Heh, it was basically just a saturn analog controller (' The fat controller' ) with the added screen and smaller analog stick. Which took me a while to get used to when playing NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, but it was great all the same.

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 05:29

Heh, it was basically just a saturn analog controller (' The fat controller' ) with the added screen and smaller analog stick.

With two missing buttons and a horrible d-pad that can slice your thumb into pieces.
uumai

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 05:36
lol, true... I guess Sega couldn' t think of a way to make the controller smaller without the loss of two buttons

As for the d-Pad.. I can' t remember which one exactly, but i' m sure the japanese controller had a lowered D-Pad while the European and maybe american ones had the raised versions...

Wish sega had given the DC a blue LED on the uk DC... I even asked them.....
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 06:03
Take the Saturn pad and add force feedback, two parallell analog sticks (like on the Dual Shock) and make it wireless and you' ve got a winner.
It can be a little bigger to make the grip more ergonomic, which might be necessary since the new components bring more weight.
Anyone who' s good at drawing or 3D graphics should try to design that controller.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 12 Aug 06 22:03:42 >
uumai

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 06:24
Sega should simply re-release the Saturn pad for both ps3 and 360 (you can get one for ps2 already)
< Message edited by uumai -- 12 Aug 06 22:24:55 >
Terry Bogard

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 06:48

Heh, it was basically just a saturn analog controller (' The fat controller' ) with the added screen and smaller analog stick. Which took me a while to get used to when playing NiGHTS and Burning Rangers, but it was great all the same.

The face buttons on the Dreamcast controller were also smaller than those on the Saturn controller, which made playing games like Virtua Fighter 3: Team Battle a little annoying at times..

As for the d-Pad.. I can' t remember which one exactly, but i' m sure the japanese controller had a lowered D-Pad while the European and maybe american ones had the raised versions...

I have both the Japanese and U.S. Dreamcast, and I can assure you that the d-pad on both controllers suck the same amount of @$$
uumai

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 07:11
Hmm strange, I' m sure i remember reading it somewhere... Also my friends DC (japanese got it before it was out in any other country) and he would comment on the less raised D-Pad.

As for the saturn analog, I only ever used it for sonic team games, Sonic jam 3d world, nights and BR. No other games.

Terry Bogard

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 07:21

Hmm strange, I' m sure i remember reading it somewhere... Also my friends DC (japanese got it before it was out in any other country) and he would comment on the less raised D-Pad.

Don' t get me wrong, I' m not saying that they' re both raised equally, I' m just saying that regardless of whether one is raised higher than the other, they both suck @$$...

It' s just like when people say that the PS2 d-pad is raised higher than the one on the PSP, and even though that appears to be true, I think both d-pads are the biggest pieces of trash on this planet, I hate them both equally.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 12 Aug 06 23:24:58 >
uumai

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 08:13

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

Don' t get me wrong, I' m not saying that they' re both raised equally, I' m just saying that regardless of whether one is raised higher than the other, they both suck @$$...

So terry, you haven' t liked a D-Pad since the Saturn then? And in that case what did you make of the Original western saturn pad... the more angular version with the concave d-pad?

Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 08:22
...Shenmue 3 destroys both 1 and 2...
Terry Bogard

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 13, 2006 08:35

So terry, you haven' t liked a D-Pad since the Saturn then? And in that case what did you make of the Original western saturn pad... the more angular version with the concave d-pad?

I liked the Japanese version better (it was softer)
But the U.S. version was still pretty nice :)

I liked the GameCube d-pad a wittle bit and I kinda like the 360' s clickety-clackity d-pad as well, but as far as 1st party pads go, I haven' t LOOOOOOVED one since the Saturn
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 14, 2006 01:21
a d-pads a d-pad, I am more concered with the game I am playing!

if the game is good enough, your d-pad problems seem to get a whole lot smaller.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 14, 2006 02:41
Try playing Street Fighter Alpha on the Saturn and then Street Fighter Alpha Max on the PSP and you' ll see how much a good d-pad means.
uumai

RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 14, 2006 02:55

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Try playing Street Fighter Alpha on the Saturn and then Street Fighter Alpha Max on the PSP and you' ll see how much a good d-pad means.

Infact I remember trying to play SNK vs Capcom 2 on xbox live... the pads are terrible in my view... haven' t enjoyed a fighting game much since my sega saturn days. the pad was nice and light too. (btw is the new ps3 pad light like the old pads were, heard its very light)
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Shenmue 1 or Shenmue 2, which was best? - Aug 14, 2006 05:23
I have Street Fighter alpha collection on the ps2 and dont have any problems with the d-pad,

I think you guys are a bunch of girls.
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 69

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread