Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The " Game" Breaking Industry?
Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 61 to 73 of 73
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 20, 2006 23:26
Forget about development team sizes. It' s NOT important and lends nothing to the topic at hand.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 20, 2006 23:41

Man, I' d like to work in the videogame industry but I don' t have any talent and I' m to old to start learning now. But good luck to you guys, make sure you give me some great games in the future or I' ll break your weak developer arms and legs

Ginjirou, how old are you exactly?

The easiest way to get people to see what you can do is put together something like a comic. Make it long enough with a detailed story and get accross most points you' d want in the game and then get a developer to have a look at it. You' ll have shown that you can create likable characters (or not), shown your artistry skills, shown that you can create characters to fit into environments and into a storyline. That kind of thing will get you loads of kudos.

Just remember that developer DO look out for people who can' t draw/model/whatever the human form accurately. It' s almost impossible to cover up.

The more you say, the more I see that I have a good head on my
shoulders, I am atm storyboarding my story, and trying to animate (when the
time comes) bits and pieces of the story.

And about drawing the human form, lets just say I have had too many naturist
" life" drawing sessions to not be able to draw the human form.

Cliffy B posts on http://www.cgsociety.org/ and guys like him pay a lot of attention to whatever critism (and you' ll only get good critism there, -- and you need to take notice of what the guys say) your work gets and what you do about it.

Something I overlooked a bit. I have only done criticism with the people I " work"
with but I would love open-ended criticism from industry insiders. Can' t put
anything up now, as it is always a good idea to copywright your work first right?

Which I haven' t done yet..

Majik, you should get Cliffy B to post on Kikizo..

Forget about development team sizes. It' s NOT important and lends nothing to the topic at hand.

So when companies boast that they have a development team of 75 people,
thats just to make the work easier right? But you can theoretically make a game
with 10 people, I always thought that you don' t really need too many people
to make a game, but Majik' s right, there' s no point in talking about the team
size at this point.

Pretty much what got Akira Toriyama into the videogame industry eh?

Is that the DBZ guy?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 00:38

Man, I' d like to work in the videogame industry but I don' t have any talent and I' m to old to start learning now.

Age is just a numba .. I don' t think you' re too old.. A few years ago I remember reading an inspirational story about a man who got into 3D modeling and animation at the age of 45.. He bought a copy of Lightwave 3D, locked himself away in his room and poured a lot of time and energy into learning the craft. He later (about 2 years later I think) wound up with a job at Industrial Light and Magic.

Some developers have too much time and money on their hands. Is it absolutely
necessary to use more than one software program to achieve what you want? Or
can you just do it on one program? There are probably things that one program
can do easier than another... Like animation processes. Although I suppose the
more time and effort you put into something, the better it comes out.

I don' t ' think' you NEED more than one professional 3D modeling and animation program to achieve what you want but from what I' ve read in the past, 3D artists like to take advantage of the pros of the different packages...

For example, I can get a decent looking animated ocean going in Bryce 3D in a few minutes. Doing the same in Lightwave 3D or 3D Studio Max would take me about an hour.. BUT instead of just taking the easy route and buying Bryce I' d rather just invest the time in learning how to do it all in Lightwave 3D.

For game developers, time is of the essence and if one program can perform a certain task at half the time of the others with comparable or better results then they' ll mix and match em together..

Back when 3D Studio Max 3 was still pretty new, I enjoyed how easy it was to utilize special effects.. I could create a short animation sequence where I blew up the Earth with ease and it looked pretty decent to. But I was never crazy about Max' s Renderer. The images looked too clean. But that was in Max 3, the program has had some massive improvements in various areas since that time. On the other hand, I LOVE Lightwave' s renderer but performing the same Earth destroying effect took more time and tweaking. It could be done but just not as quickly or as easily and I believe that' s one of the major reasons why artists tend to use multiple programs.

< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 20 Jun 06 17:00:26 >
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 01:14

The easiest way to get people to see what you can do is put together something like a comic. Make it long enough with a detailed story and get accross most points you' d want in the game and then get a developer to have a look at it. You' ll have shown that you can create likable characters (or not), shown your artistry skills, shown that you can create characters to fit into environments and into a storyline. That kind of thing will get you loads of kudos.

Just remember that developer DO look out for people who can' t draw/model/whatever the human form accurately. It' s almost impossible to cover up.

Actually i started as a comic artist....i always enjoyed doing comics and i currently have one in progress and another one in develpment phase...also writing a novel ( still struggling to have the best story structure as possible...learning as much as i can). I guess that could be one way but to be honest there tons of people sending scripts and making comics these days ....and many of them are really talented, so that´s why i am focusing on learning game´s mechanics... a fully functional game demo can really showcase your idea. I believe it´s easier to get noticed this way. Also if you post your demo on the web and get great feedback eventually game companies might look at you.

quote:

Man, I' d like to work in the videogame industry but I don' t have any talent and I' m to old to start learning now.

Age is just a numba .. I don' t think you' re too old.. A few years ago I remember reading an inspirational story about a man who got into 3D modeling and animation at the age of 45.. He bought a copy of Lightwave 3D, locked himself away in his room and poured a lot of time and energy into learning the craft. He later (about 2 years later I think) wound up with a job at Industrial Light and Magic.

true...age isn´t everything, in fact age gives you experience in life which can be a big help in game development. It does in every aspect of life.
Tiz

RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 01:31

Back when 3D Studio Max 3 was still pretty new, I enjoyed how easy it was to utilize special effects.. I could create a short animation sequence where I blew up the Earth with ease and it looked pretty decent to.

I get the feeling you' d rather be on a different planet me thinks Terry!

I know who to go to now for tips on how to blow up my home planet!lol

So I suppose I should stick with one program and hopefully I will meet someone
that can creATE like (for example) an ocean quicker and at the same
quality that I can, and then share ideas then. SO I will just stick to one program..
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 01:37

ORIGINAL: Tiz

I get the feeling you' d rather be on a different planet me thinks Terry!

Actually, in this thread:
https://forum.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=52149&p=3&tmode=1&smode=1

he says

I really reaaally need to get off this planet!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 02:23
I took 3d animation course here in denmark, and ended up doing some pretty descent stuff at times, not sure i have any of it anymore! But alas there were no career opotunities with 3d at the time, so i took another path. I still think of getting into the games buisness, but id have to start in the IT-support, and i would like to do some work on game stories, and some basic modelling!

But it' ll probably just be a dream :P
GamerManX

• Total Posts : 86
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 03:09
Can u do walk cycles
if you can can you make a
halo walk cycle
with a green master cheif chasing a pink spartan
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 04:50
mis-post
< Message edited by Mass X -- 20 Jun 06 20:51:26 >
Tiz

RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 18:54

I took 3d animation course here in denmark, and ended up doing some pretty descent stuff at times, not sure i have any of it anymore! But alas there were no career opotunities with 3d at the time, so i took another path. I still think of getting into the games buisness, but id have to start in the IT-support, and i would like to do some work on game stories, and some basic modelling!

But it' ll probably just be a dream :P

I still think you should just chase it, no matter what. Youwon' t know until you have
actually visited the " belly of the beast"
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 22:52
$#!t i' d love to get into the games industry! It would be my ideal job.

I would love to be a games designer. Thats really what i want to do, but i also want to get some programing under my belt. Unfortunately i' ll start late, having spent my early Uni years doing Psychology (which i flucked out of) instead of going into computers.

I have many ideas for stories characters and character development. I' ve been developing my stories over many years now and have been putting them down on paper. Maybe is should just write a book, which might become a movie and eventually if its good enough become a game (well thats sort of the plan).

I haven' t done any programming yet (i plan to to go to college though), and i' m artisitically challenged (in other words i suck), but IMHO i can create good stories and concepts that could translate well into games. I just need some motivation and the right direction. I' ll admit i feel a little overwhelmed about what is required to get into the industry, and my chances (slim apparently), but that still does not change the fact that being a games designer is my dream job. Thanks to all the great info (especially you Majik) i have a better understanding of what to expect now.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 21, 2006 23:27
I don' t know if tis site has been mentioned but
http://www.conceptart.org
is a very cool community site for concept artist. Several famous concept artists are members there. My favourite Andrew Jones (Metroid Prime) is one course. I believe he is a co-founder too.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The " Game" Breaking Industry? - Jun 22, 2006 00:20
Where does middleware factor into this?

Actually (sort of an afterthought) wouldnt middleware be a good place for some $$$? You know design one badass product license it out to big name companies and then sitback and watch the money come in. Over time update it and continue licensing it out. Then, hell, once you got the money flowing you could easily start up you own development company. While oter companies our tooling around with your licensed product you create somthing entirely new for your company. This makes people go wow look they got somthing totally unique! So they start buying up your game. Soon youve got a good rep and thats when you begin producing games! Muahahahahahaa!

One small arm works in updating the middleware.
Another cranks out the inhouse games.
And the person in charge starts over seeing oter games to produce and gain from!

If only it were that easy eh?
< Message edited by Mass X -- 21 Jun 06 16:29:07 >
Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 61 to 73 of 73

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message