Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is next-gen really next-gen?
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 62
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - Apr 30, 2006 23:40

And you think it will be any different for the early PS3 adopters?!

...dunno actually....

..i think it depends on how rushed it' s launch is.... ...sony aren' t trying to get ahead of anyone are they?....

...but we' ll see...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 00:12

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

And you think it will be any different for the early PS3 adopters?!

...dunno actually....

..i think it depends on how rushed it' s launch is.... ...sony aren' t trying to get ahead of anyone are they?....

...but we' ll see...

Ofcourse they are. Sony are stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Just because PS2 came out of the last gen way ahead doesn' t automatically give Sony a free pass. Much of their profit from the past 4 or so yaers has been completely swallowed up by the development costs of Blu-ray and CELL.

Sony are losing marketshare as the days go by and that' s exactly why they bullshitted everyone into thinking PS3 would make Spring. That' s why features that they said they weren' t bothering with (and online service and HDD for example) are now on their to-do list.

They are getting crushed on the postable music front by Apple, have been destroyed on their home turf in the handheld gaming market, face stiff STIFF competition when it comes to portable media players by a device that goes by the name of Vision M and have some SERIOUS competition in the home console market.

Wii is as big a threat in Japan as DS is and 360 is a bug threat for them in the west.

If Sony don' t launch at a reasonable price then theres every chance that they are going to fall behind. Didn' t KK recently say that the PS3 wouldn' t launch for anything less than $400?!

Sony need everything they can get. Expect Tomb Raider Legend, Oblivion, Fight Night Round 3 and GRAW to be ported to PS3, with PC ports following.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 01:18
I feel so sorry for Sony that I' m going to sympathy-buy a PS3 .
I think all the PS3 ads should be like
" Please buy PS3 or there will be no PS4" And you' ll see a picture of Kutaragi on hes knees.
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 01:48
Hahahahaha!

I don' t think it will come to that but the mass perception that everything at Sony is fine and dandy and that they' re just taking there time is complete stupidity.

They' re still having trouble fitting everything they want in the case, mostly because of Blu-Ray and keeping it all cool. They' ve had to drop the idea of sticking the actual hardware required for playing PS2 and PSone games instead deciding emulate through software which is something they critisized Microsoft for.

Their next-gen plans were obviously only half baked because they had stated that they didn' t want a unified online service, didicated OS or a built in HDD. Then 360 was praised for exactly those things and Sony decided they wanted in to if it was a good idea.

The controller was obviously put together quickly because they can' t use the Dual Shock 2.

They have put most of their money into developing Blu-Ray and CELL and they know that if they can make Blu-Ray the next DVD format then because more DVD' s are sold per year than games they wil make more money than they would otherwise do.

UMD' s have been dropped by several major studios because they' re simply not selling, so it' s now Sony still have to manufacture a format that costs a fair ammount (like mini-disc, N64 cartridges etc) and they' re missing out on what was essentially free money because putting a film on a UMD cost only the price of manufacturing the disc.

I can' t see how they can launch at a comparable price without running themselves into the ground, especially if Blu-Ray doesn' t take off.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 02:00
Graw is very much a next gen game,my friend and me got it for pc,played it at max graphic it didn' t look as good as 360 version,the Ghost next to you look better thanks to the high reso,but the rest weaker.

360 version is the way to go,in pc you must control each ghost and move them with middle mouse button.
And often put up that retarded map and moving them in early rainbow six games...

I just took one pic of the game,its very very impressive when you and your 3 ghost jump out of the heli in the start getting the same info as you get in the 360 version,but you land on the bridge you realise this is a game lthats not nearly as good as 360 or good looking.

I uninstalled it after 1st map thats how lame it was.

It should say that i have the 360 version so had no reason to keep it,if i did not have the 360 version i would probably have loved this but so many flaws compared to 360 version.

Aout oblivion,i love how people trash it,PC user say its one of the best rpg ever if not the best,and so does 360 owners now,the only people who says it sucks is people not having a pc strong enouhg for ob or a 360...

TT

GRAW has awesome forest,over 1500 npc,awesome graphic,A.I that live their own life,sure they may say dumb things sometimes when meeting other A.I but better that then A.I that stand stills in a world that has the same time everytime,whiole these sleep at night.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 30 Apr 06 18:01:06 >
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 02:58
Yeah, i got hold of the PC version of GRAW too, just to see what Gangsta was talking about.

It' s rubbish compared to the 360 version. Not ugly by any means, but i' m using a HD display for my 360 and it looks way better than the PC version. I have an amply powered PC but it' s nowhere near as powerful as my 360.

The PC version is just a jumped up Rainbow Six and because of that i was not impressed whatsoever.

I guess the people that even thing about comparing it really need to go play it properly before opening their mouths because the rooftop level where you take out the checkpoints (the one with all the red) is one of the best levels i' ve played in any game.

The opening level shown here is a perfect introduction to the game...

...and the level where you have to protect the Mexican president is brilliance...

As for Oblivion, i think people have been making way too much of it' s little flaws. I mean, yeah there are slight paused when moving through large areas as it loads the next part, but to experience it better on PC you need to have an absolute bastard of a PC.

It' s definately a next gen game, and the fact that we have had it within the console first 6 months and it looks and plays as well as it does is a real testiment to the consoles potential.

XNA and DX10 will make a huge difference, but what we have had so far is a very good starting point!
Bishonen

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 04:35

Retarded.

Oblivion and GRAW can be described like that?

....not sure about oblivion, but that quote does not include GRAW....

Just because PS2 came out of the last gen way ahead doesn' t automatically give Sony a free pass/...ect

...none of that changes what i said...
..it' s microsoft who are desperate for marketshare, not sony remember?....

...or is 360 selling as much as, say the PS2 did in a similar time frame?...

They are getting crushed on the postable music front by Apple

....who isn' t?...

Wii is as big a threat in Japan as DS is

.....yeah, i' m beginning to think this too, there is potentially a HUGE opportunity for them to capture the imagination of.... err..... ' non traditional gamers' .....

...they make up most of the population don' t they? ....i really think that from a business perspective N could be on to a wiener....
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 30 Apr 06 20:35:41 >
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 05:17
No, it' s not selling as fast as PS2 did. Microsoft have moved more than 3 million 360' s though so they' re o track for 9-10 million by the start of 2007' s fiscal year.

The interesting thing though is that Microsoft will be spending $2.4 billion more than predicted in 2007. This kind of thing usually means that the company has a secret project in the works, -- Xbox handheld maybe?!
Bishonen

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 06:18
...maybe...

...back on topic, is anyone here an insider at IGN?...

...they have just posted a new, multi-format Tomb Raider: Legend head-to-head video, which is really relevant to this general discussion......

...i' d really appreciate it if an IGN insider would upload the video on to a video hosting site for us all to comment on....

....it would help greatly in our visual understanding of ' next-gen' ...
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 30 Apr 06 22:33:42 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 06:35

Yeah, i got hold of the PC version of GRAW too, just to see what Gangsta was talking about.

That' s cool - I said that ign wrote it' s better and has some better physics , but it' s good to hear it' s mostly bullshit.
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 07:14
The physics are undoubtedly better, but they don' t really add an awful lot to the gameplay. Nothing that when you go back to the 360 version you actually notice.

I don' t trust IGN' s reviews anyway, but i read their GRAW PC review after to had posted about it and then got the game to see if i was missing anything, -- and like i said, playing GRAW on 360 using a HD display is much better than playing the PC version.

As Quez noted, the map and comands are stupid, and it' s more like a Ghost Recon flavoured Rainbow Six game.

Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 07:37

QuezcatoL

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 09:06
yes the physic is better,but you dont really care,and yes you get to install Ageia physX with GRAW,and you can shot tires so the car flatten,but its more then fine with the car alarm goes off,or the cool explosion tha tthe 360 version offer.

But clearly Graw on 360 is much much better thenpc.
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 09:16
People who own 360 will be able to play Lost Planet in a weeks time, -- maybe even a demo of Gears of War since a new build has been doing the rounds of gaming publications in the run up to E3.

What better way to steal some of Sony' s thunder than to offer most of the demo' s that were playable on the showfloor through Xbox Live Marketplace?! It' s already pretty much definate...

" It is our goal to bring E3 home to Xbox Live members as best we can, all the videos and the news as quickly as possible..."

" We will give you the flavor of what' s going on, on the show floor and some of the stuff that we are showing and debuting here."

" Xbox Live members should be able to play many of the demos that even the celebrities will be testing out at E3."

I see " many demos" as being the important in there. What' s the chance of getting our hands on Gears of War, Too Human, Dead Rising, Rockstar' s Tabletennis etc, -- as well as the already confirmed Lost Planet demo?!

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 May 06 1:28:41 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 09:19
yay!! :)
dirtydog

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 19:23

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...how about a nice, simple & straight-forward comparison using the shiny-new Tomb Raider: Legend;

...actually 360 seems to justify itself pretty well here (much better than the almost identical ex & ps2 multi-format titles)..

Except that the Xbox' 1' version of Tomb Raider runs at a solid 60fps and the 360 version doesn' t.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 20:19

ORIGINAL: dirtydog

Except that the Xbox' 1' version of Tomb Raider runs at a solid 60fps and the 360 version doesn' t.

That would be the developers fault not the console.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 20:20
On M$ side, if they manage to bring XBL users a large number of the E3 demos then that is a very good move on their part. Definately a nice idea.
dirtydog

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 20:23

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

ORIGINAL: dirtydog

That would be the developers fault not the console.

Did I say any different? You could say that about all 360 games which don' t look much better than PS2/Xbox1 games. I was just pointing out that the 360 version of Tomb Raider looks better because they sacrificed framerate for detail, which seems to be a disturbing trend on the 360. I guess it wins the battle of the screenshots but from what I hear, the Xbox1 version plays better.
Nitro

RE: Is next-gen really next-gen? - May 01, 2006 20:34
The argument stupid anyway because i' m not even sure that the 360 version DOES run at 30fps.

I have the two versions running side by side right now, being played, and i can' t see a framerate difference at all. If the 360 version is 30fps then it' s 30fps capped.

However, when playing in 480p there are ever so slight aliasing problems, -- but playing in 720p eliminates those AND looks much nicer showing off the particle effects. 1080i looks even better but has slight framarate issues when you first enter a large area.

I would say that the reason it' s virtually impossible to tell the difference in framerate is because it' s a slow paced game. Faster games like Burnout Revenge, Call of Duty 2 and Dead or Alive 4 need 60fps, and that' s what they are, but games like Kameo don' t.
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 May 06 13:00:27 >
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 62

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread