Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ps3 GDC Pics!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 03:26
One question: Where are the Revolution pics?
That' s all I want to see.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 04:31

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

One question: Where are the Revolution pics?
That' s all I want to see.

Absolutely!

I couldn' t care less for PS3 right now, as 360 has some wild stuff coming up, ...but Revolution is the only console i actually need!

I want my Super Smash Bros Online and Mario 128 (along with Mario Kart GP whioch i' ve played already in the arcades) ...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 06:33
I am interested in how Powerfull the Rev. Is, i heard it just and extension of the gamecube hardware with poer equal to an " pumped up xbox" but with jobs listings for work on the unreal engine 3 for the rev posted on some game company site a while back shows the machine isnt that much of a slouch in the graphics department. You dont need A hdtv for good graphics either. But i dont think it will ever catch up with the ps3 or 360. unless its 2d.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 06:46
I honestly could care less about the Revolution being significantly less powerful than the 360 and PS3. It' s more powerful than the original Xbox and that' s good enough for me....

Plus Nintendo has a tendency to understate the capability of their consoles as they did with the GameCube, so I suspect that whatever they' re claiming the Revolution will be capable of, companies like Factor 5 (if they develop for Nintendo again) will get it to do MORE early on just like they did with the GameCube.
Nitro

RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 08:13

Plus Nintendo has a tendency to understate the capability of their consoles as they did with the GameCube

Yeah, ...according to Nintendo, before GC was released, Star Wars - Rogue Leader Rogue Squadron II wasn' t possible on the machine.

Factor 5, as you say!

I am interested in how Powerfull the Rev. Is, i heard it just and extension of the gamecube hardware with poer equal to an " pumped up xbox"

Well made Revolution games will look something like 1st gen 360 titles (including Oblivion). Nintendo have been very smart about the way they' ve constructed the hardware and they patented a new kind of displacement mapping (the technique used in RE5) that' s far superior to what has been used before.

But say you ignore the displacement mapping and said that the output would be 2.5 x Gamecube, ...then you' d still end up with something tat looked twice as good as these, and then some...

...so once you add enhanced displacement maps to the equation, it' s definately enough.

Remembering that Revolution won' t support HD and you can only fairly compare it to 360 and PS3 when they also aren' t using HD displays.

But i dont think it will ever catch up with the ps3 or 360

Well 360 and PS3 are capable of FAR more than anything 360 already has out. Huge jumps will be seen in the visual quality as developers spend more time with the multi-cored architecture. PS3 has a significant disadvantage early on because of how complex Sony have made it, ...but the opposite applies to 360 where it' s far easier to get stuff up and running.

XNA will produce a massive surge in visual quality and when devs get used to Cells 7 SPU' s, the visuals will rapidly increase.

Sony DID mess up with the memory allocation, they bottlenecked it and it would have caused significant problems but they' ve kind of helped the situation by both delaying the machine (so they might change the setup) and making the HDD a standard feature for games. It should also help what would have been slower loading times because of Blu-Ray being in it' s infancy and faster drives being more expensive to produce.

We' ll see at E3!
Intellectualdiot

• Total Posts : 9
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 13:55
(Yes, those Blu ray loads times were primed to be monumentally slow... with an expected 2x speed for most inital drives, this seems to be easily comparable to the early PS2 problems. Unless of course, I only IMAGINED being able to fix a sandwich during the pauses in Timesplitters.)

Sony does indeed have an uphill battle in terms of developer ease because of their implementation of parallel processing (which historically has seemed to give developers more of a handful than they may have bargained for), but this may be somewhat assuaged by the fact that Sony has opted to use a plethora of common APIs for the development cycle. Of course, this difficulty would also be negated if the development tools themselves are well documented, more like the PS1 era, less like the PS2.

Ultimately though, that' s all I feel compelled to say on the technological issues of the PS3. I really don' t derive much pleasure from discussing these aspects of a console because, ultimately, they have rarely proved to be truly significant. As we' ve seen on both the PS3 and the X360, a similar degree of realism can be accomplished on the differing hardware. (The eternal Gears of War vs. MGS4 debate) The underlying factor is the developer themselves.

But more relevant to the topic, these pictures are better than I was expecting considering some of the write ups I' ve read. Motorstorm still looks quite good, though it' s difficult to tell quite how far away from the quality of the cinematics shown at E3 they are. Either way, it would be a graphically sufficient competitor to the next generation of X360 titles. The same can be said of Warhawk, whose gorgeous water effects shine through even in such poor quality pictures. The Getaway looks as beautiful today as it did a year ago, but that' s nothing new from the team that managed to create a beautiful franchise on the PS2 hardware.

If the PS3 launch titles can compete with the X360s winter releases, I believe they will appease a lot of skeptics. However, if these games aren' t intriguing enough to justify the elevated price tag (assuming they don' t suprise the industry and undercut all expectations, which seems to be a beautiful dream), I can easily wait. With the possible exception of the Revolution, I never buy consoles in their first year of existence anyway.
Nitro

RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 20:30
I' m sitting here impressed!

I hope you' re here to stay though...

Sony launch lineup should definately be compared to the 360 winter roster and not the rushed titles that arrived alongside the machine. But i don' t see PS3' s 1st day lineup being of the same quaity of what 360 has coming at the end of the year.

Too Human, Huxley, Gears of War, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, etc... are all expected this year and i highly doubt that anything released in the PS3' s first 6 months will meet that level of quality.

Sony STILL have a couple of technical issues, but hopefully they will revise the machines structure before launch and include a faster drive.

If PS3 is as expensive as has been speculated, then i would fully expect Nintendo to outsell Sony in it' s first year. Anybody who thinks that is just daft should look at the phenomenal success they have had with the underpowered DS.

The thing people need to realise about the demos shown the other day is that there was very little actually going on in any of them. They aren' t fully fledged games yet, and when all the extra stuff that will make them into games proper are added, it will put more of a strain on the hardware than the demos shown at GDC (which had unsteady framerates).

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Ps3 GDC Pics! - Mar 27, 2006 21:03
Hopefully at e3,we get to see all secret prjocets,and Square-enix games :P,also the announcet about multiplattform!!!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 28 of 28

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message