Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gotham 3 not in true High Definition
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 40 of 40
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 16, 2005 19:32
" If you want superb graphics at 60 frames per second then Namco is your company as 60 frames per second seems to either be a foreign language to Bizarre Creations OR their programmers just can' t hack it at that level "

I hope you' re not talking about Ridge Racer, which has to be the cheapest racer series for consoles. Theres a reason why its always a launch title. As for PGR3 being in 600p, who cares? The ratio is the same as 720p and the video scaler in the gpu will bring it to 720p (we won' t know the difference) this does however mean that we probably won' t see PGR3 in native 1080i. As far as I' m concerned this is forgivable as Bizzare started development on Alpha kits, XNA isn' t even out yet.
< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 17 Nov 05 3:32:56 >
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 16, 2005 19:56

And let' s not even start with Gran Turismo 3 and 4. Part 3 ran in widescreen and 480i only. Part 4 runs in widescreen and 480p (progressive scan) and even full blown 1080i HDTV! Yeah.

If I remember correctly GT4 wasn' t in true HD either. Merely it took a lower resolution and upscaled it to 480p.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 16, 2005 22:30
It is definitely in true 480p and also had a 1080i mode that does indeed have fewer jaggies than the 480p mode.

As for PGR3 being in 600p, who cares? The ratio is the same as 720p and the video scaler in the gpu will bring it to 720p (we won' t know the difference)

Well I certainly care because Microsoft PROMISED that every game would have 720p MINIMUM, not FAKE 720p. And yes, we will notice the difference, or at least people who can detect such things with their eyeballs will. No Xbox360 games run in 1080i yet, not natively. All other games besides Gotham 3 run at 1280x720 natively. Scaling isn' t the same. Just because you watch a DVD in 1080i on your upscaling DVD player doesn' t mean that you are even getting 1 more pixel of detail than you do watching it at 480p. Scaling sucks.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 17 Nov 05 6:35:15 >
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
Silas

• Total Posts : 28
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 17, 2005 06:05

are u sure you have been in gaming for a long time ??
Never said I had been!

Obviously there are some improvements from game version to game version (though the absolute zero progress of the GTA series over five years was a particularly crushing disappointment). The makers of a sequel are working with an existing game engine which they have time to tweak. And " improvement" does not mean going all out to exploit the full power of the machine.

But it strikes me that the superlatively best graphics of any XBox driving game I' ve ever seen remains PGR2 - and Juiced, Midnight Madness and even Forza just don' t match up, though Forza comes the closest. I haven' t played Pandora, but though the background detail and use of lighting may be improved over the original, I' m willing to bet that Sam still doesn' t look at anybody he' s talking to, and that the cutscene characters still look like ventriloquist dummies. Since there were several games which did a great job of character animation and design that first appeared on the Dreamcast, it remains a falling-down point that many games produced today still don' t match those standards of five years ago. Right now there are more original games appearing and planned for the next gen than there have been for a while: but last year we were inundated with licences for which the game that appeared could well have been made for the N64 - Matrix, Hulk, Spider-Man, Superman, Lord of the Rings. That trend of cheap-and-cheerful banging them out to get them in the stores in time for the move release is not going to end any time soon.

I agree with whoever it was upthread said that the X360' s appearance is far too soon - XBox still has lots of life and lots of potential, whereas the X360' s full potential will be exploited by a handful of games, whereas the real " next gen" features are absent. It' s still just a games machine with a hard drive and onilne connectivity. The real next generation machine should have been an all-in-one entertainment machine, with full internet on your TV, plus TiVo recording and a TV-on-demand subscription, and separate trays for CDs and DVDs so you could run several things at the same time. Which we could wait for two or three years or so, but now will probably have to wait until 2011 or 12.
< Message edited by Silas -- 17 Nov 05 14:07:08 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 17, 2005 06:31
if you have not been in gaming for a long time, the why are u posting thins you berely know about !!

a console with two trays ?? yeah right !!! it reminds me of PS3 mock ups
Joe Redifer

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 17, 2005 07:20
Oh does DOA4 support native 1080i? I haven' t been paying much attention and kind of forgot that game existed. All I keep hearing from the Xbox360 front is FPS FPS FPS!

Anyway at the very least, Gran Turismo 4 is 960i. There is a difference between that mode and 480p and the 1080i mode is the best way to play the game. Either way my point has been proven true that graphics improve as system life goes on.

though the absolute zero progress of the GTA series over five years was a particularly crushing disappointment

That' s because the programmers who make that game are not very good.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 17 Nov 05 15:24:03 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 17, 2005 08:17

I haven' t played Pandora, but though the background detail and use of lighting may be improved over the original, I' m willing to bet that Sam still doesn' t look at anybody he' s talking to, and that the cutscene characters still look like ventriloquist dummies.

That was the 2nd game in the series made by a different branch at Ubisoft. Chaos Theory (done by the original department) on the other hand during game play has full head movement, some basic lip sync, fluid animation, varios mapping techniques & amazing character models. The cut-scenes are well done and the quick ingame fight scene in one of the later missions just looked bad ass.

As for the GTA series, Rockstar hasnt really ever been one for high-end quality but more for the quantity. Thats true for just about all their games.

The real next generation machine should have been an all-in-one entertainment machine, with full internet on your TV, plus TiVo recording and a TV-on-demand subscription, and separate trays for CDs and DVDs so you could run several things at the same time. Which we could wait for two or three years or so, but now will probably have to wait until 2011 or 12.

And I suppose their should be annual upgrades to keeping with the evolving games...wait isnt that just a high-end PC? I just want my next-gen GAME CONSOLE to be able to play good next-gen quality games for the most part. Thats the main point of console gaming isnt it? And besides Xbox360 isnt far off from your " needs" with streaming music while playing games, able to store files from Video/Cameras, Messenging(audio&video) etc etc etc...

I guess if MS, Sony, or Nintendo feel like charging an extra bit of money for stuff ppl really arnt getting the consoles for in the first place, then they could. But what sence would it make? Go plop down that type of money on a fancy PC.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 17 Nov 05 16:18:13 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 17, 2005 22:47
Just to let you guys know, I played PGR3 today and I really could care less whether it' s true HD or not. The game looks freaking amazing!!!!!!!!!! NBA 2k6 is freaking amazing too!!!!!!! I bought my copy of NBA 2k6 today.
Joe Redifer

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 00:11
I think it' s funny how Xbox360 fans are always boasting about every game being in HD and how the Xbox360 rocks and all that, but when a game comes along that isn' t in true HD they suddenly start spouting lines like " I don' t care!" or " It doesn' t matter!" .

Fanboys sure are a funny bunch.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 18 Nov 05 8:11:19 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 01:07
i couldnt care less about full HD, i cant afford a HD tv before hell freezes over. I wonder where i can steal one :P Anyway, anything above 640*480 is improvement, so if its 1000*600 or 1280*720 it doesnt really matter. and im not sure how much you notice the difference.

Im confident that games will come out in full HD, from now on, PGR3 was rushed to the door, would have been very bad for MS if they couldnt get that title at launch either!
Joe Redifer

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 03:05
Hmmm, VX couldn' t care less about HD, but Rampage actually could care less. So that means Rampage DOES care about true HD!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 06:57
Mmmmkay. I like have the HD thing built in and it' s pretty uncool for Bizzare to not meet the standards but when it comes down to it, I don' t own an HDTV. I don' t even have a monitor to plug the 360 into to test the HD stuff since I have a laptop. Because of this The HD feature doesn' t effect me in the slightest. I still care though because I feel not meeting the HD standard is false advertisement and pretty lame for fans. that being said, I played PGR3 on an HD monitor and even without it being fully HD it looked better than pretty much any game I' ve seen. I think MS should have made Bizzare work their asses off to get it to full HD but there is nothing I can do about it.
Silas

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 09:33
Abasoufiane:

if you have not been in gaming for a long time, the why are u posting thins you berely know about !!

a console with two trays ?? yeah right !!! it reminds me of PS3 mock ups
Well, I' ve been playing games on and off for 27 years, but I only got a regular console for the first time in 1999. That' s not a lot for some of you 20-year-olds who' ve been playing games since they were five, but is enough to give enough credence to my views, I hope. Or at the very least, maintain my right to post here and express an opinion, Abasou!

Dunno why a console with two trays would be so out of count, if the trays are doing different things.

Mass X:

The real next generation machine should have been an all-in-one entertainment machine, with full internet on your TV, plus TiVo recording and a TV-on-demand subscription, and separate trays for CDs and DVDs so you could run several things at the same time. Which we could wait for two or three years or so, but now will probably have to wait until 2011 or 12.
And I suppose their should be annual upgrades to keeping with the evolving games...wait isnt that just a high-end PC? I just want my next-gen GAME CONSOLE to be able to play good next-gen quality games for the most part. Thats the main point of console gaming isnt it? And besides Xbox360 isnt far off from your " needs" with streaming music while playing games, able to store files from Video/Cameras, Messenging(audio&video) etc etc etc...
The " Games Console" in that sense is dead, in my view. So is the home-use PC, really. The only viable " game console" , ie game-specific hardware in the future is going to be the handhelds. Apart from us forum-ers who do a fair amount of typing , the majority of users of computers for leisure purposes only need the amount of interaction provided by a console control anyway, which can be simulated with a remote control or maybe some kind of light-pen arrangement instead of a mouse that needs a flat surface. Otherwise, everybody gets all their input via their TV, and why should they have to change seats to play games or browse the Internet? I resent having to do that in my own home!
< Message edited by Silas -- 18 Nov 05 17:34:27 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Nov 18, 2005 11:03

Mmmmkay. I like have the HD thing built in and it' s pretty uncool for Bizzare to not meet the standards but when it comes down to it, I don' t own an HDTV. I don' t even have a monitor to plug the 360 into to test the HD stuff since I have a laptop. Because of this The HD feature doesn' t effect me in the slightest. I still care though because I feel not meeting the HD standard is false advertisement and pretty lame for fans. that being said, I played PGR3 on an HD monitor and even without it being fully HD it looked better than pretty much any game I' ve seen. I think MS should have made Bizzare work their asses off to get it to full HD but there is nothing I can do about it.

Ofcourse they should have made it full HD, but hell, its prettier than PGR2, and PGR4 will surely be full HD, as long as we keep going forward
Silas

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Dec 29, 2005 05:37
I was in a shop the other day and had the opportunity to play PGR3 on an HD widescreen tv. It was aliased to shit. I' m definitely not getting an Xbox 360 now.
Vx Chemical

RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Dec 29, 2005 06:20
The shop must have set it up wrong, when i played my PGR3 on my dads HDtv, i looked perfect, besides if PGR3 is the only reason you would be getting the 360, you' d be better of without it!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Dec 29, 2005 08:54
Ya the Kiosks setup around stores are very poor looking. Once I got the system up and running at home it looked far far greater then whats being demoed.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Dec 29, 2005 16:00
The TVs they use in stores are horrible. I' m not sure exactly what is wrong with them but the games always look horrible on them. I don' t think they are actually 720p tvs. They also probably don' t even have the 360 set for 720P output, they probably have it on 640p or 1080i.
I' ve been to several wal-marts, target, and gamestop and they all looked bad. It looks awesome on my roomate' s 32 inch widescreen LCD and awesome on my 22 inch CRT and 17 inch CRT.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Gotham 3 not in true High Definition - Dec 30, 2005 16:12
Yeah i think more people will be using monitors to display in HD in the coming year than those using proper HDtv' s. I definately can' t afford a HDtv at the moment, and don' t see why i should get one any time soon since my PC monitor is also a 22" CRT. When Blu-Ray and HD-DVD hit next year then i' ll probably sit down and re-evaluate my position.

Now, i have PGR3 and it' s an amazing game. I don' t try to pretend that i fully understand the whole 720p/1020i thing, i just know that it looks way better on my monitor than it does on my 28" SDtv.

But with developers saying that the PS3 is likely to suffer from anti-aliasing problems early on and that they' ll be even more evident when viewed on a HDtv, i don' t think any company is really to blame. Whilst Microsoft MAY have been economical with the truth, understand that HDtv' s are relatively new, tv shows are only slowly being moved into HD and the main medium they will support (film) Blu-Ray and HD-DVD aren' t on the market yet. I' d actually expect a couple more titles to be coded like that during the transiton period. And as far at enhanced visuals being linked to a consoles life-cycle, it more down to developers having a better understanding of the technology they' re dealing with and having the tools to create new effects and obviously time allows all that to evolve.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 40 of 40

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message