Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick'
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 42
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 21:28
It' s all cause Sega started as an american company. they just hate us trying to sell our stuff over there
Raide

• Total Posts : 20
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 08:53
The only two reasons that X-Box did not sell well in Japan...It' s not Nintendo or Sony. Simple as. Hence the reason it has done well in America and Europe and other territories. Maybe Japan is a little too, for want of a better word, " Up-Themselves" when it comes to entertainment products. They like home grown stuff and dislike anyone else treading on their patch.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 11:33
Nah...
I seen a lot of post' s where people claim japanese people are racist and thats why they doesnt buy xbox.
But i think its about ps2+gc had more games that suited them,also they rather have the nr1 console for them in their own homeland,for the fastest releases and treats, then by be treated as a 2nd/3rd market by usa.

I mean...just look at the top most-wanted games by famitsu,or the games that sells in japan,a lot of those top sellers is games we(Europe) here wouldn' t even poke with a stick on.
Just look at Lost odyssey and Blue dragon,when i ask people which do you prefer? Almost every friend i got here in sweden/europe says the same " lost odyssey ofc"
so does i,but in the top20 most wanted games list by famitsu its not even on the list but Blue dragon is like on the 14th place now.
However if thats has to do with that its the same people behind chrono trigger and that Akira who done the art for:Dragon quest8 and dragonballz doing it for blue dragon with FF creator " sakaguchi" is not something i can say for sure.

Anyway does that make us having better taste,that we like a more serious rpg with FF look then a cartoon style liked game with big inspiration from japense manga and fantasy?! ofc not,its just about diffrent tastes,and xbox didn' t deliver games that suited japan market.
Was it MS fault? or the developers in japan that did not take a chance?!
That is something i dont know,but it seems to be worked out now with xbox360,ofc i still belive ps3 will win big over xbox360,but i think we might see;3-8 millions xbox360 there now.

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 12:03
If the Xbox had Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games in Japan then it would have sold well no doubt, so it wouldn' t need to be either Nintendo or Sony.
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 12:05
The question is then,how easy/hard will it be to make those games multiformat?
We already heard Wada said its possible that he make them multiformat for 2 or more next gen console' s and no diss for Nintendo...but if they dont go DVD i doubt they can fit the game FF13 for their console.

" EDIT" i forgot to add that Terry is right about those titles and how they can convince people to leave their old station(as with nintendo),quite simple they sold psx alone.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 27 Aug 05 20:08:32 >
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 12:10
they are already going DVD they confirmed that at E3. Plus they mention a dual layer which can hold upto 9gigs and with Nintendo' s compression utility (which cis some of the best in the world) that is ALOT of space, look what they put on the small N64, GC, and DS' little cards capacities.
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 12:13

they are already going DVD they confirmed that at E3.

Nice.

Plus they mention a dual layer which can hold upto 9gigs

Yeah thats how xbox will do too,9gb sounds more then enough.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 15:18
You can say that MS sold a bit more consoles than Nintendo , but u need to realise that it' s not that hard to " sell" something cheaper than it' s worth.And Xbox was way cheaper than it cost MS to produce.

GameCube on the other hand was a very profitable system and much closer to Xbox power than to PS2' s.

Nintendo saing bad things about competitors? Is it " mean" for them to say that it' s hard to sell " sequel" to something that was totally unpopular?

I find Nintendo to be the most " fairplay" company in the industry.
They' re not perfect (to few games, no online and obvious lack of space resulting in heavy compressed movies) -but when they talked about GCN they said it woul push around 10 MLN polygons in game enviroment , while Sony and MS gave all sorts of technical numbers.
Now it' s clear that PS2 is nowhere near the performance of GCN and it was a fact for most that it would be the other way around.

DS Vs PSP? well I own a Pure White NDS (I luv it) and I can' t imagine a portable system with 3-4 h battery life or mediocre controller - like the PSP' s analog " stick" .
What' s more I found great innovation in Yoshi' s Touch and GO - mostly because I didn' t expect it to last 60h - I luv it just the way I luv Crazy Taxi for the DC.

METEOS is another story :) it rox!

And I still play FF Tactics and Super MArio Bros 3 on it yeah ! :)
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 27, 2005 15:26
I dissagre and agree with you Gangsta,Ms lost money on every sold console which could consider as a failure,but i agree with MS and the others.
The reason for it was to get in to the buisness they had to do something to get the attention from gamers,but at the same time GC sells almost as little as a xbox game today in sweden.
In fact i seen GC being sold in stores for less,and they started their extrem low price drop before xbox started it,and after it was known xbox went with lose for every machine.
It seemed Nintendo wanted really to sell out their GC or...the stores feelt like they did not want the machines at them anymore...atleast here in sweden it was so.
I bought my gc+mario for ca ~ 180 euro,then gc wasn' t so damn cheap though.
But the price was very nice indeed.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 28, 2005 03:09
That' s true - GCN is not selling well , and there aren' t many games for it to be released.But with Nintendo systems it' s different.N64 wasn' t juz selling at fixed rate - Zelda sold more than 1mln systems and so on.Same is seen here - new zelda will sell lots and lots of Cubes - and as we all know it' s software that gives profit not hardware.For know GCN Vs Xbox sales are pretty comparable in overall.
Zelda might clarify the winner.

But the most important thing is that ever since N64 Big N is fighting for the second spot next to your primary system (I' d love for them to be be No 1) and that' s quite smart and dumb at the same time :)

While Xbox Vs PS2 is a decision most people make , getting a GC (which is very cheap and has some of the best games made this generation) as second system seems to be a perfect solution.

It' s X360 that I think will heavily outperform Revolution sales , because Xbox has become a very respected brand.
Still Revolution will sell great and bring lots of paper to our old good Nintendo and gamers will be able to get it next to their X360 or PS3 thanks to lower price.

There' s a need for someone like N to exist - we need their innovations - u might say eye toy is an innovation but does it affect everything u' ve known so far ? like analog stick? or Rumble pack?

I wish the Big N all the best and hope for awesome games on each platform since sooner or later I' m gonna get them all :)

Rampage99

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 28, 2005 08:03

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[
.For know GCN Vs Xbox sales are pretty comparable in overall.
Zelda might clarify the winner.

No, because that' s not fair to MS. By the time Zelda comes out for the GC the 360 will be on th market. Once the 360 is on the market there is no longer a reason to buy the Xbox. Basically once the 360 comes out you can' t compare how many consoles were sold because the rival console is out of the loop. MS won this generation against Nintendo. When the 360 comes out we' ve hit next gen and the cycle starts over again.
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 28, 2005 08:17
Plus isn' t Microsoft halting manufacturing of the Xbox console around the time the 360 hits?
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 28, 2005 08:23
Remember that Perfect dark+Kameo was moved from xbox to xbox360...
Rampage99

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 28, 2005 14:26

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

Plus isn' t Microsoft halting manufacturing of the Xbox console around the time the 360 hits?

I believe so.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 30, 2005 01:53
MS has achieved one thing - build an Xbox brand - it didn' t sell those consoles it almost gave them away loosing lots of bucks.That is not what winners do.Winners are the one who get to sell lots of consoles and be profitable I think.

It will change with 360 I think ,but for now if they (MS) keep " wining" like that they won' t be able to stay in the industry.Especially since there' s a huge competitor in the windows area emerging.

Saohesc

• Total Posts : 1
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 30, 2005 03:39
i miss Sega... =(
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 30, 2005 20:48

ORIGINAL: Saohesc

i miss Sega... =(

LOL!

Yeah, I think we all miss the OLD rivalry.
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 30, 2005 20:52

Which one?
Sega of Japan VS. Sega of America?
OR
Sega vs. Nintendo?
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 30, 2005 21:01

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

Which one?
Sega of Japan VS. Sega of America?
OR
Sega vs. Nintendo?

Neither of those, silly! I' m speaking of 3DO vs. Jaguar of course!
Rampage99

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 31, 2005 06:43
F that, Atari vs. Poverty and World Hunger!!!
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 42

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message