Nintendo Continues to dominate US market

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 81 to 113 of 113
QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:01
Duffman stay out my way,stay out of my FACE AND GET OUT OF THE WAY.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:03
Why do you care about sale figures so much? Do you own Nintendo stock? It' s not like it matters wheather or not Wii gets support, the games will be sub par regardless. Even a mediocre game on the 360 or PS3 is still better than 99% of the crap on Wii. That' s never going to change, if anything it' s only going to be more true in the future as Wii shows its age. So far the only good thing you have to say about the Wii is that people are buying them. That doesn' t make it a great console. I mean how are you even judging the consoles?

Consoles don' t run on sale figures, they run on the chips inside. The CPU and GPU are the brains and heart of a console. If those are not up to par the games won' t be up to par, period. I wish I could say we get what we pay for, but that' s not even true. MS and Sony are losing money on each console they sell, they' re far more advanced and have much better features. Simply put, Wii is a rip off even when it' s cheap.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 18 Jun 07 3:07:59 >

Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:05

Duffman stay out my way,stay out of my FACE AND GET OUT OF THE WAY.

I think Quez needs another hug! **hugs Quez**

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:12
Agent, Agent, Agent. You always keep missing the point.

Look at the majority of Wii games at the moment - what are they. F**ken (i am angry that this is the case) ps2 ports with slight graphical upgrades & (for your amusement) ' waggle' control. Are you telling me people are spending close double the price for a Wii for a game they could have gotten on the ps2. Even the first game people will probably play on there Wii' s (Wiisports) has graphics that could be done on a ps2. Lets not forget that ps2 games are cheaper then Wii games too. But wait you said that consumers only buy the cheapest thing.

Or maybe they are interested in the ' waggle' controls? No it can' t be. [/sarcasm]

LOL, again you fail to read my argument. I said NINTENDO is dominating the US market, not the Wii. As i said, tally up all Nintendo consoles and compare to all the consoles of sony & microsoft combined = Nintendo still sold more. Oh so when sony' s ps2 sales were significantly more then the GC & xbox1 combined sony dominated, but when Nintendos consoles are significantly outselling all competitors combined its not. OOOKKK.

I just love the car analogies - especially how irrelevant they are to the argument at hand. To liken the consoles to cars you are stressing the cars/consoles themselves are the most important factor. This is were it fails, because i' m sure you will agree that the GAMES are the most important factor. So for the analogy to work its more important what the car is running on (fuel) then what car it is, just like its more important that a console has more games (fuel) on it then what the console is. Or aren' t games the most important thing now?

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:16

Or aren' t games the most important thing now?

ofc it is,and all Wii has now is a good GC game with content we seen before,and upcoming lots of other GC ports,with crap graphic.

Its just more proof that Wii sells on its name and not on quality.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Terrak
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 11:55
Quez Thats why car analogies fail when comparing consoles. The ' fuel' is the most important factor not the ' car' .

Agent i sadly do not have Nintendo stocks, if i did i probably could afford a 360 & ps3 (just kidding). In a nutshell more Wiis sold mean more potential games which means no repeat (hopefully) of the GC (which i gave up on 2 years in). It means i can get better ' returns' on my ' investment' .

So far the only good thing you have to say about the Wii is that people are buying them. That doesn' t make it a great console. I mean how are you even judging the consoles?

True to an extent. All i know is more sales increases the chance of getting more games for the Wii. Nothing more. If developers can make some truly unique experiences thanks to the Wiimote that would make the Wii a great console, The success of the Wii just gives the developers more incentive.

Consoles don' t run on sale figures, they run on the chips inside. The CPU and GPU are the brains and heart of a console. If those are not up to par the games won' t be up to par, period. I wish I could say we get what we pay for, but that' s not even true. MS and Sony are losing money on each console they sell, they' re far more advanced and have much better features. Simply put, Wii is a rip off even when it' s cheap.

Yes they do, bottom line is everything, otherwise they would not be doing it. The console is merely a vehical to make money, as are the games etc. Stop going back to sony & microsoft losing money per console, they took the risk to reap a larger reward if there plan succeeds if there not going to make money off the console its going to be made up somewhere else.
If you feel the Wii is a rip off thats your right - I' m not here to argue your preferences, but don' t be surprised if others feel differently. I mean enjoying a game of Wii sports with my parents who have never played a game in my their lives - priceless. And though i have not played a Wii game in a while i have gotten alot of value out of it in the past and the future of the Wii is looking good aswell.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 12:14

Lets not forget that ps2 games are cheaper then Wii games too. But wait you said that consumers only buy the cheapest thing.

No they' re not. They' re both $50

Quez Thats why car analogies fail when comparing consoles. The ' fuel' is the most important factor not the ' car' .

Not really. If you have fuel and no car, thats not exactly getting you anywhere

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 12:21

Actually, theyre quite useful. Software is the fuel, hardware is the car. MS have both, Sony have a car but need fuel, and Nintendo is apparently hitchhiking with someone else because you know they have neither.
< Message edited by immortaldanmx -- 18 Jun 07 4:21:17 >
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 12:23
YEAH JOIN THE REVOLUTION WII IS TEH SUX

Wii =
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Terrak
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 12:26

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Lets not forget that ps2 games are cheaper then Wii games too. But wait you said that consumers only buy the cheapest thing.

No they' re not. They' re both $50

Really? In Australia Wii games retail for AUS$99, new ps2 titles Retail for AUS$79.
I' m not sure how much they are in the US, but i was banking on them being similarly priced.

Not really. If you have fuel and no car, thats not exactly getting you anywhere

You can' t have one with out the other - exactly, but which one you going to get the most ' mileage' out of, the one with the alot of fuel, or the one with the least fuel (figuratively speaking mind you, no console is implied in this analogy)?

Agent Ghost
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 12:52
Forget about the fuel, think of the driving experience as the gameplay experience. You' re talking about marketshare, I' m talking about quality. Honda has a greater marketshare than Ferrari and Porsche because Civics are more affordable. Lets be honest though, we all know which cars we' d rather sit in.

Obviously this is all about the games. You seem to think that the driving experience depends on car sales, which is a fallacy. Think of each car representing a console platform and all of the games and features that the platform will support are part of the driving experience.

It doesn' t matter how many Honda Civics they sell, they' re still just Civics, and a Wii will never be more than a Wii. Now there' s nothing wrong with Civics, they' ll get you around just fine. But that' s it, don' t expect much better than fine. Now a Porsche and Ferrari on the other hand are a different story. Have you ever been in a Porshe or Ferrari? I have been in both and they' re better than fine.

Wii will never get anything comparable with titles like Mass Effect, Oblivion, MGS4, Bioshock, Gears,PGR4,Halo3, LAIR, GTA4, The Darkness, UT III etc...

I' m not saying Wii will fail business wise, Nintendo didn' t risk a lot and the results will show that, both economically and practically. Wii has a place with gamers but don' t expect miracles from the little console that could.

Before you run off in a tangent about the wiimote and innovation, please spare yourself the embarrassment. The wiimote is nothing but a gimmick, misdirection to distract consumers from the fact that Wii is simply a repackaged GameCube. If I buy a Wii, I' ll try to avoid using it whenever possible. I have no intrest in the Wiimote at all. If I wanted to play with a white wand the wiimote wouldn' t be my first choice. And I certainly wouldn' t want to play with it while gaming.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 18 Jun 07 5:05:07 >

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 17:51
In the US and Japan it' s selling almost exactly how PS2 was selling at this point in it' s life.

Wii vs PS2 (America)

Wii vs PS2 ( Japan)

But PS2 was next-gen. It wasn' t 7 year old hardware and after 12 months when the hype had worn off and the ad campaigns had faded it was the games that pushed hardware sales.

Posting Wii sales figures now mean fuck all. Every other Nintendo fanboy on every other gaming forum are posting them without even fully understanding things like ' sell in' , ' sell through' , ' software attach ratios' , ' market saturation' , ' season dictated sales' etc etc etc... ...they just see the figures, presume everything is great and then blindly post them, all-the-while bringing them back up every time somebody tries to explain why they shouldn' t be surprised when supply = demand and hardware sales drop drastically.

If when that happens Wii has the software to support it, it could easily continue to sell strongly for another year or two, but if it doesn' t, it' ll die slowly like Gamecube did.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 18:52
Haven' t bought a Wii myself yet because right now it sucks
But when Metroid Prime comes it' ll be my favourite console

If the Wii directly competes against the other two consoles it has no chances of taking the number one spot or even the number two spot, as you' d have to be pretty retarded to choose it as your primary console.
But the price, the hype, the games, the timing, the brand and the possible 3rd party profits at the horison will all make it a very profitable console for Nintendo' s and the developer' s part.
To us consumers it will be a great secondary console to play from time to time with party games. And occasionally it' ll get AAA titles like Metroid Prime that requiers a little more time and effort to play through. The Wii won' t get as many AAA titles as the 360 or PS3, but the ones it does get, along with some weird hippie games offering unique gameplay, will be enough to lure hardcore gamers to buy it, especially with its low price.
And I am certain that if the sales decline Nintendo will be able to quickly lower the price by a large margin concidering they' ve been making profits from day one.

So even though the Wii is a weak and quick pick-and-play console I think it' ll offer enough entertainment and profits for everyone involved. And that will keep the sales floating.
It will not be the primary console of choice, but to be honest neither me or Nintendo was expecting that.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 18 Jun 07 10:55:29 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 18:57
I got myself a wii, and im sad to say that im sorry that i did! Right now i would rather have saved the money to buy the 5 games i want the most for my 360 during the fall. :(

No games that are worth the money are available.

Abasoufiane
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 19:03
no Vx i think you did the right choice, it' s good to have a wii as a secondary console, since yu have a 360, you will play 95% of all the great games that will be released this generation, and soon 2 AAA wii games will be released and thaty should calm you down.

Vx Chemical
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 19:17
I dont like metriod, and i dont think Mario Galaxy will rock the world, if i hadnt bought i wii i could have had

Mass Effect
GTA IV
Bioshock
Halo 3
Alan Wake (maybe)
Assasins Creed
Splinter Cell IV

Instead i have to choose, 2 or 3 of those!

ginjirou
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 19:40
But now you can see weather forecasts on your TV!!! How cool isn' t that!?!?

Vx Chemical
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 19:51

my town isnt on the list

ginjirou
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 19:53
Ok... shit...
But... um... you can create Mii' s!!! How fun isn' t that!? The whole family can join

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 20:19
Apparently, Manhunt 2 for the Wii is supposed to be pretty good. The controls are supposed to be good too, unlike TP' s swing the Wiimote about like a maniac to make the sword move from left to right and vice versa system. The Wii needs more games like that, to keep people playing, and less 5 second mini-games.

With any luck, SSBB (and the announcement of a decent FPS that actually works) should be released this year or early next year. That will make me happy.
< Message edited by Marink -- 18 Jun 07 12:22:32 >

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:00
I' ll be honest Marink, I don' t think we' re ever going to see a conventional FPS on the Wii that is more controllable than with dual-analog or mouse & keyboard. It' s a problem with the mechanics themselves. I' ll delve deeper into that if anybody cares, but I' m pretty sure you' ve all figured out the Red Steel-esque problems the Wii has.

Eddie you' ve misunderstood my point. The reason why i used the ps2 in my argument to illustrate the point of how ' the Wiis lack of HD graphics will affect its long term appeal' . It was not an assessment of graphical ability but an assessment on market trends. Look at the figures. All HD consoles sold significantly less then there non HD counterparts.

It' s still a moot point.

When the Playstation 2 launched, HD televisions weren' t even a twinkle in most consumer' s eyes, and HD gaming was even more distant of an idea. PS2 didn' t have high-definition capabilities because it didn' t need them. We' re now at a time where one out of three homes have a high-definition display(US figures), and high-definition is more relevant than ever.

Do I care whether the Wii has high-definition capabilities? No. I don' t have a display that supports component video, so I don' t care about that either way. I' m not talking about HD. I' m trying to show you that there' s little use trying to correlate PS2 and Wii sales based on it' s lack of " HD" , which is a term that is getting thrown around loosely in this thread. The console' s sales are similiar, and that' s the only factual correlation we can make between the two consoles in terms of how successful they' ll be on a long-term scale. It' d make a little more sense if we started listing the similarities and differences between the two, because the latter outweighs the prior by boatloads.

Duffman
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:30

You are forgetting the Everybody Votes Channel. Democracy on you' re Wii! What more do you want!
< Message edited by Duffman -- 18 Jun 07 15:30:52 >

Marink
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:42

I' ll be honest Marink, I don' t think we' re ever going to see a conventional FPS on the Wii that is more controllable than with dual-analog or mouse & keyboard. It' s a problem with the mechanics themselves. I' ll delve deeper into that if anybody cares, but I' m pretty sure you' ve all figured out the Red Steel-esque problems the Wii has.

Tell me about it. The way the cross-hair in Red Steel keeps flying into the corner of the screen with just the slightest movement is so damn annoying. Which is a shame, because FPS is one of my favourite genres (along with RPGs and stealth).

I wish I had an Xbox 360. Then I could get the games you mentioned and even play on Xbox Live. It is also the ideal console to get for FPS. Which I have just stated is one of my favourite genres. I can' t get enough of Call Of Duty 3 on my cousin' s 360 on Live.

The PS3 hasn' t got many notable games out for it at the moment. However, seeing how this is a Sony console, it will undoubtably become the king of RPGs before long. Another genre fave of mine. Then there' s " Home" , which looks nice. I' ll definetely be getting one when it is cheaper and Kingdom Hearts 3 is released.

Of course, the Wii will, before long, be the home of loads of great party games. Nintendo has already shown this is where they excel. With games like Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, etc (not just mini-games). I much prefer playing games with others on multiplayer to just sitting alone. Many great drunken nights await.

Anywhooo, you' ll be pleased to hear that I' m done babbling. I' ll let you guys go on...
< Message edited by Marink -- 18 Jun 07 15:45:44 >

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:49

I wish I had an Xbox 360. Then I could get the games you mentioned and even play on Xbox Live. It is also the ideal console to get for FPS. Which I have just stated is one of my favourite genres. I can' t get enough of Call Of Duty 3 on my cousin' s 360 on Live.
Give me your cos' GT. Next time you' re over there send me a message. CoD:3 multiplayer is the shizzznot.

Duffman
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:51

Give me your cos' GT. Next time you' re over there send me a message. CoD:3 multiplayer is the shizzznot.

That reminds me Eddie, I still owe you that game of CoD3. I must pick up a copy soon.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 18, 2007 23:59

quote:

That reminds me Eddie, I still owe you that game of CoD3. I must pick up a copy soon.

Don' t feel too rushed dude. I' ve got to find my copy, & buy some more Live. I lost track of when I subscribed, & it died today.

My " friend in Japan" (Eddie in Japan) still has gold though if you want to play against him. I never signed up for that, & I' ve had it for a month & change now.

Virtua fighter 5
  • Total Posts : 1327
  • Reward points : 4650
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 01:17
Wii has it' s place in my home for sure, still being used as Party / Multi-player Machine and a brilliant ' quick connect' youtube browser too.

People expecting wii to be a hardcore machine seem to be forgetting Nintendo wants to expeand the market way beyond the Hardcore..

Wii' s in such a Strong independant market that Nintendo could even afford to bring their Hardcore ' Traditional' Franchises 3rd party in true next-gen HD:

IE F-Zero III, StarFox universe, Super Mario Adventure, ECT to 360 and PS3.. How awesome would that be? and imagine the quality these titles will be?
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 18 Jun 07 17:27:24 >
Currently playing:
Korg DS 10 (ds) /  Metal Slug 7 (ds)
Rhythm Heaven (ds) /  Fire Emblem (ds)
Super Stardust HD (psn) /  Virtua Fighter 5 (360)
FSX (P

Marink
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 01:23

I don' t know when I' ll be on, but I could PM his gamertag to you sometime.

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 01:26

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Wii' s in such a Strong independant market that Nintendo could even afford to bring their Hardcore ' Traditional' Franchises 3rd party in true next-gen HD:

IE F-Zero III, StarFox universe, Super Mario Adventure, etc to 360 and PS3.. How awesome would that be? and imagine the quality these titles will be? certainly show up a lot of the current titles on these platforms with ease..

Very true, ...and a very god point.

Virtua fighter 5
  • Total Posts : 1327
  • Reward points : 4650
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 01:29
sorry i edited that last part out cos it sounded abit too controversial.. (360 already has some true greats ad VF5 Ps3.)
Currently playing:
Korg DS 10 (ds) /  Metal Slug 7 (ds)
Rhythm Heaven (ds) /  Fire Emblem (ds)
Super Stardust HD (psn) /  Virtua Fighter 5 (360)
FSX (P

Agent Ghost
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 02:10
" But now you can see weather forecasts on your TV!!! How cool isn' t that!?!?"

Hahaha, who would have thought we' d ever be able to see the weather forcasts on with our televisions?

" my town isnt on the list"

...but it still plays CDs right?

" ...but I' m pretty sure you' ve all figured out the Red Steel-esque problems the Wii has."

Well to be fair Red Steel doesn' t use the Wiimote properly. It only uses the accelerometer to detect direction which translates into pre-determined moves. The wiimote if using other sensors as well, it' s able to perform real time control. I still prefer traditional controls though.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 18 Jun 07 19:02:32 >

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 11:19

People expecting wii to be a hardcore machine seem to be forgetting Nintendo wants to expeand the market way beyond the Hardcore..

They' re not expanding their market. They' re ditching half of their market & focusing on the party game, which is financially sound but not cool in the slightest.

Well to be fair Red Steel doesn' t use the Wiimote properly. It only uses the accelerometer to detect direction which translates into pre-determined moves. The wiimote if using other sensors as well, it' s able to perform real time control. I still prefer traditional controls though.
I' ve never had issues with Red-Steel' s floaty controls, and this is coming from somebody who finished the game. I thought them to be pretty tight compared to say, CoD:3 Wii, it' s the inherent camera issues you have when it' s not feasible to have your crosshair become centered on your camera at all times. You have to resort to doing that weird corner-flick thing that prevents you from properly clearing corners or quickly shooting up.

I don' t know when I' ll be on, but I could PM his gamertag to you sometime.
Me either, better yet, just drop me a line the next time you' re over his place. My GT is my username minus the underscores.

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Nintendo Continues to dominate US market - Jun 19, 2007 11:20

You have to resort to doing that weird corner-flick thing that prevents you from properly clearing corners or quickly shooting up.

" Nintendo Wii is my anti-drug."

Sorry, but it was too tempting to resist.

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 81 to 113 of 113