Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 UPDATED!!!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 53
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 UPDATED!!! - Oct 16, 2006 22:54
It' s official. Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 will be used for PS3.

The fact that it will feature a fully functioning desktop, as denoted by the " Featuring E17" in this image...

...on Terrasoft Solutiuons HOMEPAGE means that PS3' s value just skyrocketed.

The machine is in sense a desktop PC and should be usable as one. My guess is that it' ll be dual boot, with the actual gaming side being separate from the " PC" side.

E17 is the name for the new desktop interface, and YDL 5.0 is the newest build of the popular OS. It' ll be available for PS3 before anything else, and that includes desktop PC' s proper.

E17 looks like this (2nd image is the ' Slate' theme)...

...but whether or not the PS3 build will look exactly like that is unclear right now. Whether or not PS3 will come pre-installed with the OS or not is also unclear, but having to buy a disc or download the software would be unreasonable.

Obviously this will force Microsoft to react, and i think they' ll hit back by making 360 dual boot and run Vista sometime next year. If they don' t then Sony have a major advantage. If they do, then Microsoft could have a significant advantage due to the nature of their software, especially as far as things like homebrew are concerned.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 18 Oct 06 14:21:33 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 16, 2006 23:25
The only reason Sony is pushing the PS3 as a computer is to get a refund from EU import charges. As computers have always been exempt from EU import charges while consoles have not. They lost a five year legal battle with the classification of the PS2 causing them to lose a 63 000 000$ refund.

So I' m not surprised when I see Sonys marketing say to the press that the PS3 is not a console but a computer. The question I' m asking myself now and what will be raised in UK courts is does having a HDD and an operating system make the PS3 a computer?

One thing I am sure of is that neither the consumer or MS will care if the PS3 has Linux. No one buys console to do the things that our PC does better.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 06 15:26:53 >
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:03
Sony' s consoloes have always appealed and been popular amongst a demographic not generally associated with PC' s. While this obviously doesn' t mean an awful lot for you, myself and many of our peers, it will mean something to more casual gamers who don' t own PC' s, or those who do own PC' s but not a very good one.

Bear in mind that Linux is open source. User created apps could very well become huge amongst Sony' s userbase and the potential for community development projects is large enough to warrant interest.

If anything, it' s a nice " extra" feature to have.

The only thing that could cause problems is the machines serious lack of main memory. CELL can' t render the whole 512MB and so you' d have 256MB RAM and CELL' s local store to manage the OS and running apps.

Agent Ghost

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:08
Do you know how many people buying a 600 dollar console do not own a computer? NONE, everyone that can afford PS3 has a computer in the houshold.

And yeah it is a nice feature, I never said I woulnd' t be interested. my point was that Sony isn' t interested, the only reason they are talking about it is to win the classification case for the ps3 rather then to sell more PS3s.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Oct 06 16:11:45 >
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:30

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Do you know how many people buying a 600 dollar console do not own a computer? NONE, everyone that can afford PS3 has a computer in the houshold.

That' s a broad generalization, but i' d be inclined to agree with you. The same couldn' t be said about PS2' s userbase tjhough, so Sony would be marketing their new console towards an older audience and that wouldn' t be very wise if they' re interested in dominating the market.
Agent Ghost

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 00:33
yeah and even the 360 with its higher price tag is doing the same as it has a higher price then last gen as well, which is the best explanation I have for 360 sales being weaker then Xbox sales comparatively to the time in their respective times. Albeit the change won' t be as hard as it will be with the PS3.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 01:29
This thread qualifies an " I told you so" from me to Majik, lol. Faced.

Anyway, there is no reason for the MS to retaliate with Vista on the 360. There is no reason to put a computer operating system on a gaming console. Gaming consoles are just that, gaming consoles. Sure I like having DVD play back and the new picture and other video features are nice but I' d rather not have my gaming console left open to getting f*cked up.

This pushes my point that PS3s will now be prone to viral attacks. At some point I' m sure there will be viruses that bring the PS3 comunity to a crashing hault. 3rd party developers have already said PS3 games will allow distribution of user created content. This is a huge risk with an open source operating system.

Sony is trying to make themselves look better by squeezing out every feature that gets into their head but it' s causing their system to become worse off. It' s already a pain in the ass to program for, it has severe over heating issues, it costs too much, it' s making Sony loose money, it' s production is causing mass delays in most of the world, and now the console is being left open to viruses and easy hacking. I can' t figure out what is going through Sony' s heads right now...

Btw... that OS is fugly.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 16 Oct 06 17:29:59 >
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:00

ORIGINAL:
Btw... that OS is fugly.

SHUT YOUR GODDAMNED MOUTH, PINGU FTW¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:04
Sony fanboy! you got sony so much up your *** its spewing out your mouth!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:11
Guys, we only listen to Fernandino when he is talking sense and not about him
having contacts in Kojima productions about if VF5 is coming on 360 or not...

Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:13
i can' t believe what i just read from some people, adressing this like if it' s nothing important and worse like if it' s something bad.

i think the value of ps3 had just skyrocketed as magik mentioned, having an awesome computer for 600 or even 500 dollar for " extra" is just an awesome deal, this will push many mainstream people to buy ps3, and some people will make of this a good arguement if they want to perceive their parents for buying a ps3. it' ll make ps3 sell MUCH easier for mainstream.

on another hand, you' ll get all the benefit for the homebrew comunities, so many softwares will show up, so many emulators (virtual console anyone? ) and much more, many of us already know that we can plug a usb keyboard already and mouse by that matterso i think this will be huge, just have a look of what they did with the psp , no i can imagine what wonderful things could be created out of linux ( a well known and powerful OS)... the only hassle i see is the lack of RAM but still man how can you complain and a whole computer was for as an " extra" !
Rampage99

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:16
Hmm... this is true... emulation. Yay, people won' t have to buy PS3 games anymore because they' ll be able to mod their PS3 using the open source OS and then just download the games right onto the HD because it has an internet browser! Yay Sony!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:21
mainstream don' t know how to do this .... and that is not my point, emulation ro whatever , the point is it' ll open huge possibilities and it' s an extra for ps3 as a console first and foremost...
Rampage99

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:29

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

mainstream don' t know how to do this .... and that is not my point, emulation ro whatever , the point is it' ll open huge possibilities and it' s an extra for ps3 as a console first and foremost...

And that' s my point, mainstream isn' t buying it for the extra possibilities nor the open source OS. They are buying it to play games and because it says Playstation on the box. People that are buying it for the extra features do know about emulation and such. They will be the ones using it and it won' t be doing anything but hurting Sony because not only are they loosing money on the console but they will also loose money on games.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:29
mainstream wont use it, mainstream use windows, its just a marketing ploy from Sony.

Id rather have had cheaper console than they spent time getting Linnux on it
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:41

original: rampage

Hmm... this is true... emulation. Yay, people won' t have to buy PS3 games anymore because they' ll be able to mod their PS3 using the open source OS and then just download the games right onto the HD because it has an internet browser! Yay Sony!

Well, they just killed their company with how much they lose per console, they' ll need game sells.

This is great news, I didnt plan to buy a PS3 for at least a year or two, but now Im reconsidering...
Nitro

RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 02:55
It wouldn' t surprise me if this was specific to the 60GB model as the other differences have been closed up.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 03:10
I could see that, I' ve been flopping back & forth in my decision to buy the 20 or the 60 gig version, but if this went exclusive to the 60, I' d get it for sure, If only because I like Linux.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 07:38
Wow! Awesome! With PS3' s amazing 256 MB of main memory you' ll be able to browse the internet and instant message at the same time!

I was considering possibly getting a PS3 because of the linux option but when you think about it it only has 256 MB of memory and a good PC has 10 times that amount. So all that processsing and graphics power doesn' t even matter because you can' t run anything on it anyways.

Also if you think you are going to be downloading all of these awesome open source linux programs think again. PS3 uses frickn' cell processors, everything is made for a totally differnet architecture and won' t work on a PS3. And with 256 MB of memory have fun emulating lol.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Yellow Dog Linux for PS3 - Oct 17, 2006 08:13
Yeah, well, if we' re lucky, we can get a Solitaire emulator to run, but that' s if all your other apps are closed.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 53

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message