Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What do you expect from Next-Gen?
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 33 of 33
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 02:51
I thought the PS2 55mil (and Xbox' s 100mil but not sure) was raw polys with no textures and no effects running and the Gamecube' s were like the Dreamcast' s
with everything running?

I always want to know sense that is the only thin I can see based on what has been output thus far.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 03:01
The poly-count that Sony stated was way over what the machine actually does (which is typical from Sony), and doesn' t include ANY gameplay processes like AI, physics, texturing, filtering, anti-aliasing, blending, motion-blur, fogging etc...

Essentially PS2 could run a cutscene that didn' t require any of those using the game engine and it' s be maybe 2/3rds of what they stated due to added affects been needed for animation, sound etc, ...but ingame the Gamecube outperforms Playstation 2 in terms of onscreen polygons.

RE4 uses waaaaay more than 12 million polygons on Gamecube!

NOTE: It was Nintendo themslves who estimated Gamecube could produce 12 million polgons per scene in a fully complete (lighting, physics etc...) game environment, but it' s actually closer to 26 million, ...and that' s still in a complete environment.

If you measured it how Sony measured theirs it would be higher.

Also note that Xbox does nowhere near 100 million polygons in ANY game, ...just like PS2 does nowhere near 55 million!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 2 Apr 06 19:07:15 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 04:57

Game cube around 12 ploy/s
ps2 around 55 poly/s
x box around 100 poly/s

Nintendo did say around 6 - 12 million for the GameCube but Factor 5 supposedly got arlund 15 million with their GameCube launch title.

From what I remember, when the PS2 was first announced, Sony started off saying it could push 77 million polygons, then Sony quickly dropped that to 66 million polygons. Had no idea they dropped another 11 million polys to 55 million. But regardless, all of that is flatshaded polys with nothing else going on in the game.. Basically useless figures. With texturing, lighting, and all that other jazz they claim the PS2 can do around 28 - 33 million polygons...

The Xbox I believe was around 133 million, but that to is likely to be a Sony-styled overstatement and only deals with flatshaded polys.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 2 Apr 06 21:08:12 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 05:10
yeah,but for ex my pc and card can do much more,but it doesnt support stuff like HDR or pixel shader 3.0
I would assume theire is something likewise in this gen for diffrent format O_o or am i wrong?

Because if i rember right,they had to down scale splintercell to ps2,but not on GC from the xbox version.
Why was that so if ps2 was stronger? O_o
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 2 Apr 06 21:10:58 >
Nitro

RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 05:53

Why was that so if ps2 was stronger?

Because it isn' t.

Sony claim an awful lot of stuff and Nintendo always under-estimate their own hardware.

Anyhoo, it' s no longer about how many polygons a machine can display and Revolution will prove that. Displacement mapping is going to be used a lot this gen along with parallax, mip, normal and bump mapping.

Lighting will also be used to great effect.
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 03, 2006 06:43
Bots some might think they are worthless but no multiplayer should be without
them I know about online but whatabout offline I mean seriously they could have include this for most .

And well more options in multiplayer like number of lives/ whatever for each player
Map creators well more intricuties plus... this is all I have time for now
kickass331

• Total Posts : 92
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 04, 2006 11:23
BETTER BOOB BOUNCING PHYSICS!!!
Alyn

• Total Posts : 4
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 04, 2006 19:02
When a next-gen console comes along I think I expect several things. Better graphics, and improved controllers are a basic thing to me, but I only want these things in a console so that developers can make something NEW. Something that no one else could have ever possibly done on an older console. Originality and fun can be found on any console, regardless of technical spec, but a new generation shoudl not only have these things, but enchance them to a level that the older consoles could not manage, and I don' t just mean graphics.

Personally, I think the most excited I got for a console was the Dreamcast. The Generations before saw many huge leaps in technical ability in what we would consider basic now; CD quality audio, 3D, analogue control, etc etc. But the Dreamcast improved technically to improve a huge amount of gameplay ideas that really got me excited. Online gaming for consoles was a huge concept that unfortunately took a lot of time for people to catch on to, but are now fully embracing as a standard feature of video games. The saturn had tried it, but it was just never going to work properly at that stage.

Its 3D power was an obvious improvement, but what it managed to do was create game worlds the likes of which we had never seen before. The console was the only one that could have handled a game like Shenmue. The consoles before it could have had something similar, but if it was released on an older generation the effect it had on the people that loved the game wouldn' t have been the same.

I don' t wanna come off sounding like a huge Dreamcast fanboy here, there have been many consoles over the past generations that have done the same thing, I just wanted to use it as an example of what I expect from a " next generation" console. Its when you see that the console is going to do things that no one could do before that you really find yourself experiencing the next generation. As for the 360/PS3/Revolution, I' m not sure what I think of them at the moment. The only one we can begin to properly look at is the 360, since its actually out. So far it looks impressive, but I just haven' t been hit by that " wow" factor yet. The Revolution seems very interesting, but i hope that developers and consumers alike can make proper use of the possibilities, and that it doesn' t find itself restricted in any way. Haven' t a clue what the PS3 is going to bring us...apart from serious debt anyway lol. It seems a lot of people are a bit sceptical about the next generation, but its early days yet, after all.
Nitro

RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 05, 2006 00:12
The question here is flawed.

See, what i expect from the next generation and what i want are unfortunately completely different. What i EXPECT is more of the same in prettier packaging. What i WANT is something new. That' s why i' m so excited about Revolution, ...because of the possibilities...
kickass331

RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 05, 2006 05:27
That' s why I' m excited about **Crap** Because of the unlimited **Crap** resulting in more **Crap** **Crap** **Crap** and that' s why hitler commited suicide.
Nitro

RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 05, 2006 06:09
Hitler committed suicide to escape the awful, stupidly retarded and sad as fuck babble that your great grandmother came out with.

Obviously a family trait!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 05, 2006 06:24
I want 4d!
kickass331

RE: What do you expect from Next-Gen? - Apr 05, 2006 06:40
The most reasonable reason pertaining to this situation would be B(.)(.)BS and this

(.)(.)
| |
(|)
<>
| |
| |
()()
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 33 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages