Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 05, 2004 02:09
What are some of the games that you couldn' t live without, but the rest of the world doesn' t seem to care about? Here are some of mine:

Road Avenger (Sega CD)
" Just another stoopit FMV game for the Sega CD" people say. But man, this game ROCKS! The animation is hilarious, and the thought of fuel tankers spilling and exploding before you for NO REASON is just awesome. One of my favorites for the Sega CD.

Super Monkeyball (Gamecube)
OK this one really isn' t " overlooked" but it seems nobody on the planet enjoys this game as much as I do.

Super Hang On
This game has only been converted twice to home systems from it' s arcade origins. Once to the Genesis and once to the GBA. But regular, non-super Hang-On is in all the Shenmue games and also on the Yu Suzuki DC collection. Where is the Super Hang On love? Just because Yu Suzuki didn' t design it doesn' t mean it isn' t great!

Gun Valkyrie
This game is awesome, and always keeps me coming back for more. I don' t know why other peeps don' t like it. I bought this game when I bought my Xbox, just because it was made by Sega and for absolutely no other reason. I fell in love with it quickly. It' s just too fun! And the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is fantastic. You really feel the booster in the subwoofer when you take off.

Altered Beast
Yeah, the game was way too short, but it was free! And it was better than the arcade in a couple of respects. First off, the arcade did not feature multiple layers of scrolling like the Genesis version does. Second off.... ummm... the arcade wasn' t free!

Thunder Force II
People always complain about the overhead levels. I LOVE the overhead " go anywhere" levels. This game intrigued me for a very long time, and took awhile for me to beat. This is a great game to understand what " challenge" is. Not difficult, just challenging. People also like to diss the music and sound. Why? The music is fantastic! Whoever can decipher what the opening male voice says should win a prize, but other than that the voices are fine.

Shadow Dancer (Genesis, not arcade)
The Genesis and arcade versions of this game are completely different, with the Genesis version being far better in every respect, even in graphics and especially music. But most people didn' t like Shadow Dancer because it didn' t play like Revenge of Shinobi did. Instead Shadow Dancer plays just like the original Shinobi with the addition of a dog. I prefer Shadow Dancer to Revenge of Shinobi as well. This had to be the first cartridge game to ever use vocal effects in the music.

JB Harold Murder Club (TurboGrafx-16 CD ROM)
A rather slow paced game with zero animation, no FMV, and no cinema displays except the opening and closing scenes. But I loved every second of it. It' s almost a text-based adventure, but with a few graphics and tons of voice (you can even have Japanese voices). Some of the voice acting is hilarious (ie: the parking lot attendant). I beat this game two or three times. It' s hard to get the killer to finally break down and admit he did it.

Legendary Axe II
This game suffers the same fate as Shadow Dancer --- people expected something completely different. This game bears little to no resemblence to the original Legendary Axe game, but this game is still awesome. The music is subtle, but still very enjoyable. The graphics are dark, but high res (for the Turbo). And the game is fun and VERY challenging. I think I might like this one even more than the original Legendary Axe!

Target Earth
I bought this game simply because it was one of the first 3rd party games released on the Genesis, and I was utterly fascinated by someone other than Sega making a game for a Sega system (my roots are in the Master System days). It' s an awkward game, but lo and behold it really grew on me. Talk about challenging! I love this game! The music is also fantastic. I tried Assault Suit Leynos 2 (Target Earth' s Saturn sequel) but I couldn' t get into that as much.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 6/4/2004 8:16:04 PM >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 05, 2004 04:43
BLUE STINGER :)
The import version, not the camera crippled U.S. version.

Super Hang On
This game has only been converted twice to home systems from it' s arcade origins. Once to the Genesis and once to the GBA. But regular, non-super Hang-On is in all the Shenmue games and also on the Yu Suzuki DC collection. Where is the Super Hang On love? Just because Yu Suzuki didn' t design it doesn' t mean it isn' t great!

Totally agree about Super Hang-On. Everytime people mention motorcycle racing classics, they mention the original Hang-On. It' s almost like they' ve never heard of Super Hang-On, which was SOO much better than the original.

Shadow Dancer (Genesis, not arcade)
The Genesis and arcade versions of this game are completely different, with the Genesis version being far better in every respect, even in graphics and especially music. But most people didn' t like Shadow Dancer because it didn' t play like Revenge of Shinobi did. Instead Shadow Dancer plays just like the original Shinobi with the addition of a dog. I prefer Shadow Dancer to Revenge of Shinobi as well. This had to be the first cartridge game to ever use vocal effects in the music.

I' ve always been the complete opposite about Shadow Dancer.. I loved the coin-op version and wanted to kill the developers of the Genesis version for not making it more like the arcade version.. I feel the same exact way about E-Swat.. LOVED the arcade version, hated the Genesis version for being so drastically different.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 6/5/2004 4:55:06 AM >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 03:21
Kung-Fu Chaos. My friends and I found it to be a great party game, but it only got mediocre reviews from all the major sites and magazines. sigh....
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 04:34
Shadowrun on the super nintendo....everyone liked the sega one more, I just loved this game and played through it many atimes.

Team Fortress Classic...this is where I got my first online gaming high from...played this with so many buddies for so long, CS was highly more popular but I always enjoyed TFC more.

Freedom Force...just overlooked, gameplay was somewhat repetitive but I loved its charm.

Might think of more later
Joe Redifer

RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 06:56
If you want the arcade conversions of Shadow Dancer and E-Swat, Terry, you can get the Master System versions. Both Shadow Dancer and E-Swat had awful, tinny, basic-MIDI sounding music in the arcades. They also both had washed out graphics with very little contrast. I enjoyed both the home versions more. It' s like Sega looked at the arcades and said " WTF is this crap? These games are teh ghey. Look how blocky Shadow Dancer is! We can' t have dis!!!! Change ' em up and make ' em better yo! Word up g dawg." I loved it when E-Swat said " Mission Completed" on the Genesis. I was like " OMG OMG that sounded teh realXorz! lolololololol!!!!!!11!!1!!!!@@@1!"
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 12:31
I think the only one is shenmue 2, and counter strike on xbox. I like mostly, usually what everyone else likes though.
Idekii

• Total Posts : 52
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 17:14
Fantavision! Say what you will, but that game is one of the more addictive games I' ve played. If that game had an endless mode I' d be even more satisfied, but even as it stands it' s better than it gets credit for.
MuteCity

• Total Posts : 159
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 19:45
And maybe Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Anyone know this one?
< Message edited by MuteCity -- 6/6/2004 7:45:53 PM >
PresAgent

• Total Posts : 50
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 19:47
I would have to say the entire Dynasty Warriors series. I like the utter mayhem that goes on in most levels, with the player just ripping through armies with ease. Also, the vs. mode against other human players is really quite fun.

Hell yeah! That game was freakin awesome, I remember being hopelessly addicted to it. What a classic!
< Message edited by PresAgent -- 6/6/2004 7:48:49 PM >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 06, 2004 20:35
Dynasty Warriors
Frequency 1 and 2
Mad Maestro
Beyond Good and Evil
Shenmue series
Grandia

fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 07, 2004 04:04
The Bouncer

Everyone whined about the lack of interactive backgrounds, and the somewhat unresponsive control, but I loved it. This game still has the best voice-acting and best character development I' ve ever seen anywhere, and it may be short, but that' s exactly the way it' s supposed to be. It was advertised as " Play the Action Movie!" and that' s just what you do.

Jet Moto

One of my first PSOne games, I must' ve played for days on end. I don' t know why I liked it so much, but I just had to master this one. So many hours of fun can be attributed Sto this one title, and I' m still the only person I know who' s actually gone to all the trouble of unlocking and winning every track on the hardest difficulty. I AM the Grappling King!

Saga Frontier

Great 2D artistry for the PSOne days, and incredible depth, I can' t understand why this game was held in such low-esteem. I played for over 100 hours, and was able to beat all 8 character' s stories in their entirety. It' s still the only game I' ve ever played that required the player to have the absolute best for equipment and combination attacks (the combo attacks with five characters in turn-based battle ROCKED), in order for you to beat the final boss of the story. Just great fun.

I' ll think of others later. It' s late now.
Idekii

• Total Posts : 52
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 07, 2004 23:51

ORIGINAL: MuteCity

Oh yeah, I remember that one. Wonderful action title indeed, with great two-player action. Too bad my copy got stolen.
< Message edited by Idekii -- 6/7/2004 11:52:42 PM >
Slizer

• Total Posts : 36
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 08, 2004 08:19
Well not trying to be mean but this post was on the gamertagdatabase a few days ago, kinda weird....
Joe Redifer

RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 08, 2004 09:11
What is " gamertagdatabase" (all lowercase, all one word)????
Slizer

• Total Posts : 36
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 08, 2004 11:27
link

< Message edited by slizer -- 6/8/2004 11:29:03 AM >
skurf

• Total Posts : 85
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 08, 2004 17:28
Bushido Blade 1 and 2.
...still waiting for the 3rd

Bushido Blade is the most original and most entertaining fighting game I' ve ever played. The use of " free mode" to run about the large levels has to be the most innovative feature to ever grace a fighter.
Joe Redifer

RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 08, 2004 22:39
Slizer that gametag site says my Gamertag is not found, yet somehow I' m always able to connect online with it. Crazy!
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 09, 2004 01:15
LOL

Gamertag Database doesn' t just collect gamertags as people register them from Xbox Live. You' ve got to register there first, and then you' ll be able to hook up with players near you or that like similar games. You just haven' t registered yet.
IORI YAGAMI1211

• Total Posts : 185
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 14, 2004 20:05
i like gutairoo man, Bust a groove, and victorous boxers. Um jammer lammy was kind of lame but ring of red was the best game that no one ever heard of.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: What Games Do You LOVE that the Rest of the World Does Not? - Jun 14, 2004 20:12

ORIGINAL: fathoms

The Bouncer

Everyone whined about the lack of interactive backgrounds, and the somewhat unresponsive control, but I loved it. This game still has the best voice-acting and best character development I' ve ever seen anywhere, and it may be short, but that' s exactly the way it' s supposed to be. It was advertised as " Play the Action Movie!" and that' s just what you do.

wow, the bouncer, really?? If there is one thing I' ve noticed here, it' s that fathoms knows his stuff. I' m just surprised to see that anyone liked that game! But I guess that' s what this thread is all about. This game got so much hype, I couldn' t wait for it to come out. And it was by square, if I remember correctly, so I thought it might be more rpg-like.

I ended up beating it the first day not wanting to even touch it again. Great looking game, but my god did I hate it it lol
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message