Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 So I just completed Shenmue 2..
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 05, 2007 10:03
My first play through with this game [that I have been waiting forever to play], and I gotta say I am pleased with the whole package, but it definitely has its flaws.

First of all, the bad, I guess it was the year I am playing this game at, with all these cell processors and hdr lighting I was kind of jolted by the pop up/blurry textures/and slow down with more than 4 people on screen. I found the controlls to be a bit hard to use sometimes [I found ryo walking in the wrong direction in tight places, another analog stick would fix this], I was disapointed by the real lack of Lan Di [a 1minute copper stare off?], I found getting money and fighting those street fighters a real drag. I hated the chawin sign thing that took me forever to do. and I hated those frezze screen and press buttons thing with a passion.

Now what I did like was the whole thing itself, its just Shenmue basicly, I loved the whole start of disc 3 and end of it. I loved the whole story even if its predictable. I liked talking to random people, I liked how you can just buy random stuff at the store, I liked how the normal qte events where handled. the pace of the game was great, altough disc 4 was a big slow down. [that forest went on for forver...]

Now I have to say I enjoyed Shenue 1 more. But this is still a fantasic game.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 5 Jul 07 2:03:46 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 05, 2007 10:09
You had me dilusional for a sec there dude. I thought you said you just completed Shenmue 3.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 05, 2007 10:14
so didn' t that bother you?? :

to find A, you should find B, but to find B you should find C then A

repeat once you find A, he' ll tell you about D

to find D, you should find E etc etc etc

fuck that, i wish i could slap developers for killing such a game with this boring gameplay, come on they can do better i' m 100% sure of what i said above , it gets so incredibly repetitive, and working is just lame as it is also very repetitive , i mean it' s a very good idea in theory but once in a game...

the Things that REALLY kept me going:

*) Story
*) cut scenes
*) QTE
*) graphics

ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 06, 2007 07:01
I didn' t have any problem with that type of gameplay. Well, tastes differ of course. But isn' t it normal that people have to ask things and do other stuff underway to get to a goal? To me they built it up nicely in Shenmue. The way it was worked into the story didn' t make it feel like many of those fetch quests in online games. Again, to me personally ;) I liked how quests really tied into what was happening.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 02:09

I loved the whole start of disc 3 and end of it. I loved the whole story even if its predictable. I liked talking to random people, I liked how you can just buy random stuff at the store, I liked how the normal qte events where handled. the pace of the game was great, altough disc 4 was a big slow down. [that forest went on for forver...]

I especially agree with this part! I was on such an adrenaline rush after Disc 3 that the slower pace of Disc 4 killed some of that high. I had always wished Disc 3 was the cliffhanger ending of the game.. 5 minutes into Disc 4 and I wanted to hang Shenhua from that giant oak tree

I would have liked it better had Disc 4 been used as the opening of Shenmue 3. That way players can start off slow as usual and then work their way up to the more action-packed parts of the game later on.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 6 Jul 07 18:11:47 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 03:21
Well loved the game but did prefer shenmue 1.

As for the forest part - I loved it to pieces. I both times through the game walked through the entire thing just looking around at it all. (no running at all) and stopped to look around at times.

Shenmue is for me the most engaging game or game series I have ever played. One where I feel like I am living life but still have this adventure. Sometimes I remembere things from the game like i have done that in real life, and it is memories rather than remembering a game.

Yes I' m sad, but Shenmue is the be all of gaming as far as I am concerned. But as it' s been said, to each their own.
Silentbomber

RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 03:39
Why is the game called after that Tree?

*Spolier:
I think its fairly obvious that Lan Di is your ones brother, you know Zimming or whatever when he ran away to get revenge.

This game would really benefit from the next gen treatment.
uumai

RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 03:47
I would love a complete shenmue game for this or next gen.

Remake 1 and 2. dont really change anything but visually update it, and then add on the final installment(s) - If it does get made though I hope sega do a good job and leave it later in the systems life so it' s the best it can be
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 05:08
I rather get a Shenmue3 announcment then to have all these AAA titles coming this year.
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 05:15
Did you felt like you died a little inside when you finished it? I did ;_;. It' s so annoying to know that after that last cutscene all you can do is go back and start again.
< Message edited by Shikashi -- 6 Jul 07 21:18:00 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 06:21
Not me,because I heard from many even SEGA themself that a sequal was gonna be made,atleast SEGA said if it sell wells.
ac2u

• Total Posts : 1
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 09:26

*Spolier:
I think its fairly obvious that Lan Di is your ones brother, you know Zimming or whatever when he ran away to get revenge.

Hi,

would just like to point out that although that may seem like the most obvious first answer. There is a lot of evidence to suggest otherwise. In fact, the evidence is almost conclusive that Lan Di is not him.

Check out Shenmue Dojo for more info.
< Message edited by ac2u -- 7 Jul 07 1:26:50 >
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 09:34
I loved the change of pace in the final chapter. For a videogame to shift focus like that and just take time to reflect on natural beauty, and people discussing their family and friends, is rather revolutionary. Right on, Yu Suzuki. Now sell some of your Ferraris and fund the rest of the series.
uumai

RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 16:31
Silent, I take it you were playing the Dreamcast version right?

I tried the xbox version but it just didn' t feel the same to me, perhaps it was the voices in english not japanese, perhaps it was because it was on xbox and not Dreamcast who knows..
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 19:31

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Why is the game called after that Tree?

*Spolier:

This game would really benefit from the next gen treatment.

I believe it' s just labelled as a Shenmue Tree, according to " Suzuki-san" we still
don' t know what a Shenmue is, I bet it' s an historical oil rig.

***SPOILER***

Disc 4 was deceptive in the sense that they kept talking about the village as if they
were going to reach it during that disc, so that presented you with a
" fabled drive" to finish the story and then it suddenly ended in the cave with
them both about to share their vows with one another, then get dressed for the
main event.

ORGINAL: Terry Bogard

I especially agree with this part! I was on such an adrenaline rush after Disc 3 that the slower pace of Disc 4 killed some of that high. I had always wished Disc 3 was the cliffhanger ending of the game.. 5 minutes into Disc 4 and I wanted to hang Shenhua from that giant oak tree

Aww Terry, Shenhua was sweet though, c' mon, you' d date her in real life, meet
her parents, then sacrifice that goddamned goat that almost got Ryo killed.

" Hmm, this meat is good.... Ryo, what is this rare delicacy that you caught?"

Option select:

Be honest
Leave suspiciously
Lie
Challenge them to a fight

Be honest: That goat was trying to kill me, but from what I' ve learnt in the
7 or so months it has taken to get here, is, it' s a kill or be killed world... The goat
tried to kill me first, so I burnt the bitch rotisserie style. Hey presto - dinner.

Leave suspiciously:

" So you say, the Phantom River Stone mine is up ahead?"

" I never said that."

" So it is, I see *blip*, I have to go now"

Lie:

" I never thought that this place flourished in extraordinarily sized chickens."

" Ryo, this place is full of exciting animals, including the sacred goat.... which I
haven' t seen for a while."

" Doesn' t it get lost a lot Shenhua?"

Challenge them to a fight:

" Gotta fight!"

" Hey, what' s the big idea?"

" Orreeeeeyaaaaahhhh!! Haaaiiiii, haiiiii, zaaaaahhhhh! Ren, does your radio
still work?"

" Disturbing me all of the sudden, what' s up with the monstrous range of this thing anyway?"

" Doesn' t matter..... I see, they' ve found out!!! Ren, where' s Wong?"

" Where' s Wong he asks, where' s my gold??? I pinpointed the exact location of it
with my sharp knife-throwing skills, didn' t it chime and your notebook flash up?"

" It' s alright now, they' re all dead."

" What about Shenmue 3?"

" Ren........ Do you know where Sailors hang out?"

" Dude, you' re starting your quest again"

" A black car, three blades, Charlie, the harbour, mother' s earth, nine dragons,
warehouse number 8, Master Chen, Guizhang, broken chinaware, Phoenix mirror,
Chai, Phoenix mirror, Chai again, owned my bodyguard, sword handguard,
fuk-san, bully for money, fuk-san, train, train some more, heartbeats bar, train
again, Terry, 70-man battle, I need a lead, ANYTHING! ANYTHING!!!! Ren!? OI REN!?"
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 19:49
Haha, nice options.

I liked the fact that it ended with disc 4 actually. It started peacefully but got more intriguing towards the end. It' s very daring to have something like that in a game actually. As someone mentioned here and other reviews out there. It actually breaks some " gaming laws" as some magazine wrote. I personally think that it would' ve been less good though if Shenmue III started with that walk. The other games started slowly too but this would' ve been too slow maybe. Since it takes quite a while to get at the cave and the story kind of started now. Compared to Shenmue I which was a bit of an introduction.

The name Shenmue means " magical tree" by the way, literally translated (Sha Mu in Chinese). But of course we don' t know what' s behind all of it yet.
Silentbomber

RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 22:53
Things I want in Shenmue 3:

- Ren
- A better controll system [allmost a given as all the next gen consoles have duel analog sticks]
- Better graphics, no slow down, And the loading pissed me off sometimes. [next gen wil fix all of those]
- The jap voices didnt bother me too much, be nice to have the option of what you want.
- Better jobs [I found the one at Lucky hit the most boring job ever]
- A continued story from shenmue 2.

What I dont want:

- Unreal Engine 3
- Online play
- Mario as a Unlockable player
- Downloadable content.
- Exculsiveity

Ever norice that Ryo just answers all threats with " You" or " That Ren"
alimn

• Total Posts : 145
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 23:20
I liked disc 4, it gave me a very special feeling.

but the problem with disc 4 is the ending!
Oh God! Ryo is still in that CAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They could finish Shenmue II before Ryo reaches to Guilin,
just like the way they finished Shenmue I before Ryo reaches to Hong Kong.

BTW WHERE IS SHENMUE 3???

Kikizo any new info?please!
shouldn' t we expect to see Shenmue 3 this year? E3? TGS? X07?

Regards-Alimn

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 07, 2007 23:29
I did not like the supernatural-like things in the ending. A flying sword and magic sparkles, I mean C' MON!!! The absence of such things is the very reason I liked Shenmue.
'
I bet that in Shenmue 3 we' ll see hadokens and kamehameha' s flying everywhere. Like in the Shenmue Online trailer.
And Lan Di will probably summon a giant dragon and shit.

I' d rather not see a sequel if a third game will destroy the series.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 7 Jul 07 15:30:32 >
uumai

RE: So I just completed Shenmue 2.. - Jul 08, 2007 00:58
Id like to say they can make it and you just pretend it never existed if it sucks.. but that didn' t work for me and spiderman 3 the movie.

I don' t trust sega enough to do shenmue 3 anymore... i miss sega...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message