Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Regions free ps3 games or not?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 15, 2006 09:23
Phil Harrison speaks about ' region Free' plays 14.04.06 - The British EDGE spoke with Phil Harrison, the president of the Sony Worldwide of studios, about ' region Free' plays of the PlayStation3. Sonys a goal is that all of Sony should be refugees of plays ' region Free ' : PAL, NTSC, hp and all languages are to be on one Blu ray Disc. Thus also world-wide simultaneous distribution of plays are possible. Harrison expects that most Publisher the advantages of such ' region Free' software will pack to recognize and all contents on a Disc. That already ran successfully with PSP; Harrison counts on the fact that it will be exactly the same with the PlayStation3 (thanks at ElecLancer).

I doesnt like when sony says,their goal is to make every game regionsfree...

Well thats a nice mission,but who says they will make sure it happends or will? O_o

We all know the launch games will be regions free,but after that?!

NVM a friend explained,games that sony publish will be 100% regionsfree,or games that sony have stocks in will probably also be that...

But SONY has 8% in stocks into square-enix....
A
Anyway its up to dev to choose...
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 15 Apr 06 1:48:44 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 15, 2006 09:57
all PS3 games being region-free would be nice, but if i had a dollar for every broken promise sony has made us, i' d already have invested in a game studio, and ran stuff on one of their dev-kits just to laugh at them.

don' t get me wrong, it' s a really nice idea, but i remember a while ago, i don' t know if anyone still remembers this, but they said that one of their consoles would be out by spring, and instead of being honest and saying they didn' t have their crap together, they decided to lie to us, right to our faces. At least That' s why i' m not holding on to that pipedream.

But, then again, I' d assume it would be cheaper to produce and ship, so sony would have to go for it.

(sigh)I dunno, if they actually can do this, i' ll be impressed, not because they' ve achieved something good, but because they would have actually achieved something at all.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 16, 2006 08:27
quite negative there eddie, sony are trying, you got to give em that. I am giving them the benifit of the doubt, they need a good rep. And the ps3 with its super Liltium Ionised Solar Powered Reailty Systehisier cell chip and uber fantastic blue ray drive need to be region free.
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 16, 2006 11:19
Region free is the easy part supporting multi languges is the hard part. \
Games like Final Fantasy is where it gets really hard.
They would have do dual voice acting a script writing or just take a long time
but they would probaly be an exception
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 16, 2006 17:34
Well i think it is very interesting.

Sony are trying to push region free, one of the better things I' ve heard lately about PS3. Living in europe it' s annoying with games to have to wait months after a US release to come here.
For example, I was waiting for Legacy of Kain Defiance back a couple years ago. US had the release in november - while europe had to wait I think it was around an additional 6 months. They' ve done it with so many games that getting a modded machine is the only way for us impatient gamers. One once it' s modded it' s then very easy to get tempted (because it' s so easy) into getting copied games.

I for one am not fussed about multi languages on 1 disk, just english (So the US release) would be great for me, but I' m not sure the publishers of games would want it. Surely they would lose sales in respective countries? I mean weren' t SOny mad that people Imported PSP?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 16, 2006 23:35

Sony are trying to push region free, one of the better things I' ve heard lately about PS3. Living in europe it' s annoying with games to have to wait months after a US release to come here

No, ...Sony want to APPEAR to be pushing region free.

While PSP was region free, and something that Sony are playing on, ...it didn' t stop them suing companies that were shipping the units and games to other contries.

The console will be region free for games, but the final decision will come down to the publisher and most will want to region lock their games. It' ll be like it is on 360, with some titles region free and others locked.

Companies like EA and Ubisoft generelly lock their games to specific regions since they sell their games at a higher price in places like Europe and Australia. If everyone could import US titles, comapnies wouldn' t make as much profit.

uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Regions free ps3 games or not? - Apr 17, 2006 00:10
That' s basically what I was saying.. though I didn' t know some 360 games were region free. Sony seemed to be suggesting from the Phil Harrison interview after E3 that Sony will do it with their games though.... To me this all seems to be leading towards E-distribution of the games.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll