Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Problems with Gears of War
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 08:34
Awesome, awesome game. Possible the best game i' ve ever played. Virtually no loading whatsoever ingame, no long initial load times like Ninja Gaiden or Halo 2, loading is a non-issue because there is almost none. Best looking game so far, nothing comes close. Geat dialogue, story, characters, art direction, AMAZING sound, superb controls and the best multiplayer ever created.

Gears of War has 1up' d my all previous all time favourite game - Resident Evil 4, but I do have a couple of minor issues with it...

1. Why do i only get to fight one Corpser?

2. The Corpser battle could have been so much better than it actually was.

3. Why didn' t i get to fight a Brumak?

4. The slight yet noticable textures load at the start of every level. It' s 1-2 seconds but it' s annoying. The same thing can be seen in the mot recent Lost Odyssey footage and so i' m guessing it' s and engine thing.

5. Why is rumble not used when using the Hammer of Dawn?

6. Team-mate AI can be frustrating. Epecially when Dom steps into the darkness and the Kryll kill his numb ass.

Told you they were minor. Anybody else have something that they would change/fix/do differently???
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 20 Nov 06 0:36:00 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 08:46
Nr 6,made me replay that boss 20-30 times,not joking,might be to easy with co-op though.

The loading stuff you talk about has happend to me 4-5 times,and takes 1 sec,dont mind it at all.

The corpser fight was kind of fun ^^ i was so scared of him,but so easy kill,just hit stomach then throat,.
He never hitted me once.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 08:55
Mine are also minor and some are just personal preferences, but:

-Veichle part of game felt poorly integrated and executed.

-Enemy A.I didn' t impress me (guess I got to BIG hopes)

-The lack of freedom and open enviorments (Halo spoiled me)

-Some doors you can actually walk right into and half your marine dissapears.

-Lack of a catchy musical theme... actually lack of music in all.

-The A button!

-No four player split screen multiplayer (this was actually the biggest let down for me :(

-The lack of variation in gameplay (might not be true as I' ve only just gotten out of the locust nest and haven' t seen all of the game)

-And the stuff you just mentioned Majik.

I won' t complain on the Ultra cliché story and comments by the character, in fact I feel like it' s part of the games charm... Like Epic tells us to Shut Up, IT' S A SHOOTER!

BTW: Corpser was the spider like one, right?
< Message edited by dionysius -- 20 Nov 06 0:58:19 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 08:56
I completely agree with 2,3,4,and 6.

The Corpser fight is too linear. It takes a while to fgure out exactely what you need to do, if you' re playing on Hardcore for the first time through this could be very fustrating.

When I finished the game my first though was where the fuck are the Brumaks. Oh well GOW2.

The texture thing is something that is more prominent in multiplayer matches, it could have been avoided with half a second more loading. Like you said more annoying than a big problem.

Number 6 is the only real problem with the game. Maybe it was a design choice to make revivals part of the game but most likely its a matter of good A.I. being difficult to accomplish. This is certainly something I expect the sequal to improve upon.
QuezcatoL

RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 09:07
Well i could make up 20 things that i didnt like about any game,i dont know why for ex someone would complain about the A button like dino.

I felt like it was perfect with how they made it to the cover/rush button.

Anyway i had only problem with the nr 6,the A.I combat was awesome :)

Oh yeah,the end is made for sequal,no real end.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 20 Nov 06 1:12:38 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 09:12

Cross your fingers for inclusion in the sequel. My biggest issue is Dom. He needs to die.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 09:18
The problem I had with the A button is simply about the times I wanna perform an evasive manuever and end up clinging to a wall. It' s an annoyance, but other than that there is no prob.
QuezcatoL

RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 09:20
Hmmm never happend to me yet.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 10:00
I don' t really have any problems with the " A" button assignment, I can more or
less move through cover effortlessly like a knife through butter, 95% of the time I
latch onto the appropriate wall.

-Enemy A.I didn' t impress me (guess I got to BIG hopes)

Please tell me you' re saying that after completing it on Hardcore?

They don' t flank on casual, and don' t jump over and out of cover when you' re
reloading (and fail) or switching to grenades (Where the a.i knows that
you' re pretty helpless up close and personal)

Insane is a different level in general... The a.i is pretty much close quarters
combat. It will hear if you fail an active reload, and if it is close enough, it will
come out and destroy.

Casual, hardcore, and Insane are all different levels of A.I, Insane being the
mother of all f-ups because of how ridiculously intelligent the a.i is sometimes...

Some of them flank in 2' s... o_0

It usually rumbles if you fire it quite close to yourself accidentally... (I managed to
try and aim for a berserker, then the curser followed through to my left shoulder
and I could feel the vibration.... I don' t think the gun should vibrate when
using it as the HoD is just a navigational link to the satellite and doesn' t really fire
anything.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 11:09

Wait, it doesn' t!? That is the most awe-inspiring uber-weapon I' ve ever seen in a shooter (from videos unfortunately) and IT DOESN' T HAVE RUMBLE?!

Bah! That better be in a patch

On another note, how' s the rumble for the other weapons?

Oh, and I can' t answer the questions cos I as yet, don' t have GoW, since I' m waiting for my big brother to come back (this week ^^) to rope him in for co-op (and joint purchse XD).
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 13:48

4. The slight yet noticable textures load at the start of every level. It' s 1-2 seconds but it' s annoying. The same thing can be seen in the mot recent Lost Odyssey footage and so i' m guessing it' s and engine thing.

6. Team-mate AI can be frustrating. Epecially when Dom steps into the darkness and the Kryll kill his numb ass.

1. I think this was something the Developers opted not to include, as the same with the Brumak...as well if I remember correctly Cliffy B was talking about the game and saying that he wanted to keep a perfect blend, where everything didn' t feel like you had done it already.

2. I know and completely agree, but for what it was it was great.

3. Unless you got some freaking huge guns to take that sucker down you aren' t going to be fighting it. As I stated in 1, I think it was just something that they left out for the sake of a " blend" and because of development time.

4. It might be an engine thing, Halo 2 had the same issue.

5. Because it is a laser, you aren' t firing the beam directly from the gun so it really isn' t relative to the character. However if you aren' t feeling rumble when it hits there might be something wrong, cause I feel it perfectly fine.

6. As I stated in another Thread, Epic really designed this around the Co-op experience I can tell you straight off though, the AI in this game though dumb is not even close to the stupidity of Dead Rising' s AI!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 14:32
Yes, my first problem in Gears of War!

It' s a multiplayer bug, but sometimes, after chainsawing somebody, the game will
lag, and the person will be in pieces on the floor.

Then I can' t move afterwards....

What????!!!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 15:32
I played it at a friends houdse and got massive disconnects in MP, i didnt when playing at home, though i only played it once, with mass x, ninja g, and Majik
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 16:31
When i played it on launch day i couldn' t play any ranked matches because it would never connect. Then the next day it worked fine every time. I almost never have connection problems, only when I try to join a game that is already full and I have an extremely strict firewall.

It is amazing how few times clipping shows up in the game but there still is the occasional clippage. So I guess that is a " flaw" in the game but it manages it better than any other game.

Chainsawing isn' t perfect. Sometimes people aren' t directly underneath the chainsaw which leads toglitches like the stuff mentioned. But most of the time it works fine.

The texture popping thing that plagued Halo 2 happens once and a while in Gears, but it is very minimal and less noticeable. Not a big deal but an imperfection.

As said before all hammer of dawn is is a laser pointer directing a satalite with a destructive laser. It isn' t supposed to rumble.

I would like to add on that I think the map Rooftops sucks. It is way too linear. I like the other 9 maps though.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 18:24
I haven' t notice any clipping or freezing of any sort. The game is very very polished, especially for a western title

Lack of a catchy musical theme... actually lack of music in all.

Huh? There' s loads of music all throughout the game! There' s Halo-esque orchestral pieces, Star Wars-esque moments and Resident Evil-esque suspenseful moments. I love the music in the game. It' s not like Halo where you have one main theme and it' s repeated over and over but Gears has a better pacing and the music helps set the scene.

As said before all hammer of dawn is is a laser pointer directing a satalite with a destructive laser. It isn' t supposed to rumble.

I know but it' s detaching. The orbital platform hits the target and it doesn' t rumble. That sucks. I' d hoped the controller would go nuts when you used the weapon but it doesn' t. Lasers don' t do an awful lot, but it' s a game and having rumble would, in my opinion, be more immersing.

Y' know, i spoke to a guy yesterday who was saying that the controls suck and the game is really stiff. Idiot... In comparison both GRAW and the much much improved Rainbow Six (over GRAW) feel slow and clunky. The way you can move through a level, and multilayer especially is fantastic. The SWAT turns are badass!

I fought Mass and had my ass handed to me, but he had had it a week and i only had it that afternoon Now i' ve spent some time with the game and had some serious practice in multilayer i want a rematch!

Oh, actually i wanted to ask you guys something. How did the Berserker get onto the train?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 18:43
" Oh, actually i wanted to ask you guys something. How did the Berserker get onto the train?"

Well a Berserker goes wherever the fuck she wants, if there is one person on the train that doesn' t need a ticket it' s her.
QuezcatoL

RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 20:05
Why would dawn of hammer have rumble?
You point a target with a laser,you think that should shake?Yes the impact of the hammer shakes closeby.

stop it ^^
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 20:12

It has to do with the DVD drive not being able to stream data off the disc fast enough. It tends to happen in graphically intensive games. I remember when I modded my Xbox and had Halo 2 installed on the hard drive, the problem of popup dramatically decreased.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 20:38
" Oh, actually i wanted to ask you guys something. How did the Berserker get onto the train?"

I thought the same thing as soon as I saw him. I guess we have to assume he rode one of those flying things and landed. I don' t think he was hiding behind a crate.

The only times I saw clipping was when you push the button to open doors.
QuezcatoL

RE: Problems with Gears of War - Nov 20, 2006 20:39
Or he was being transported and especaed somehowe,and the other locus was looking for him,thus having guns ready.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message