Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK)
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 05:18
By 60k...

LINK

...and at 3x the price too.

Yeah, Wii f**kin' blows!
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 05:35
Dam Kick Ass Its good to see something going right for Sony.
The 360 to me as a machine was cheaply made. I not saying that the PS3 is better but if you compare the two just as a machine than yeah the Ps3 was just built better hell the wii as well Ms needs to step it up on the hardware. Sony Needs to step it up on the Online Support. Nintendo needs to just step it up on getting me a dam wii. I cant find anywhere lol.

Yo Majik How do you like your PS3...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 05:50
You' re not going to break something that weighs the same as a forklift, so the PS3 is pretty well designed by default.

The Wii is really freaking dense, but it' s a little topheavy. All together well designed though.

The Xbox 360 is held together with the will of god, some bloody farts, & about 9 clippy thingies on the back.

Back on topic though. This proves that Europeans love buttsex, because for all the fxxing with them behind their back Sony has done, they keep coming back for more! Teh confuse.

It really does suprise me though, I expected a moderately good sale, but... outselling the Wii? I wouldn' t have been the first to bet on that.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 06:15
I think it' s time to look beyond the actual consoles. Build quality is not interesting, it only deserves mentioning once. We all know that the PS3 has much better build quality than the 360 or even the Wii. I would have expected Kikizo to not even waste time discussing or arguing over it. It' s like Steak and Pizza, we all know Steak is better so it' s not even worth talking about. That' s how much better the PS3 is over the 360 in terms of the physical machine. Is it a surprise that a 200$ drive is more reliable and more quiet than a 12$ drive? Is it surprising tat Sony' s in house factories were better prepared for manfacturing than MS third party manufacturers?

I' m not talking about specs, which is much more interesting by the way. CELL vs. XENON, RSX vs. XENOS. I guess the problem is that too many people here probably don' t understand the computer hardware in the machines, simply because their not interested enough.

If that' s the case then lets at least talk about them as a platform. The linup for exclusive PS3 games does not look good at all. The only franchises that look interesting on Sony' s fence to me is MGS4 (maybe), TwistedMetal, Tekken, Dynasty Warriors 6 (maybe). Most of the best games will be multiplatform between the PS3 and 360. There is very little reason to actually buy both imo, even though I probably will get a PS3. It all depends on which platform has that one game you have to play. Every gamer has at leaste one franchise that they can' t resist that will make someone buy a console regardless of build quality, specs, or company.

So the real question is not build quality. People don' t buy consoles because of build quality. They buy them for the games. I' ll end up getting all three because I' m a sucker. But to those who chose one or two consoles over the other(s), which games prompted your decision?
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 26 Mar 07 22:15:49 >
Nitro

RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 07:08

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

But to those who chose one or two consoles over the other(s), which games prompted your decision?

GRAW/2, Vegas, Alan Wake, Huxley, Gears, Halo 3, Dead Rising, Lost Planet etc...

I bought PS3 because i could, although i' m enjoying MotorStorm a hell of a lot more than i expected i would.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 07:37
For Xbox360: Mass Effect, Fable 2, Forza 2, Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3(so I can see if it deserves the hype it will surely get).

For PS3: Motorstorm, MGS4, FF13, GT5, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet!, Lair, Warhawk, The next team ICO game, Coded Arms Assault, God of War 3(eventually), VF5, Tekken, Sports games in general because I prefer PS3 controller.

For both: Assasins Creed, DMC4, Oblivion and Shivering Isles, Half Life 2 orange box, and some others I can' t think of atm.

For Wii: I probably won' t buy one for a couple years. I figure I will have my hands full with all the games the ps3 and xbox360 have, plus PC. I don' t have enough money to buy a new TV an Xbox360, and a Wii, plus all the games I want within the next year. Given that I would have to give one up, I would choose the wii. There are more ps3 and xbox360 games I look forward to than with it. Also, in 2 years time the wii should be cheap and finally have the nintendo games it needs to make me consider it.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 09:18
Well it looks great for sony, but lets get things in perspective.

They waited 4 months time, this give them ample time to stock up and ensure that there was plenty of supply. The Wii had a True worldwide launch that forced them to have very few levels of stock in every region. Had the Wii waited 4 months it would have blown the ps3s UK launch out of the park. Besides 4 months after the Wii launch it is still sold out WorldWide, the ps3 is still readily available 1 sec after it launched in Europe.

It was sonys decision to make it that expensive by adding all those high tech components, and Nintendos decision to use more affordable by using more conventional components. Don' t think that Nintendo could not have made a more powerful console if they wanted too, because they could have, but 2 generations of trying to win using graphical supremacy (N64 and GC) both met with failure. Hence the Wii moving away from that goal and attempting something new. Besides Nintendos decision currently is paying dividends (earning a profit) whereas sonys is not.

If you think the build quality of the ps3 is impecable, take a look at these ps3 consoles on Ebay -

http://search.ebay.com/as-is-playstation-3_W0QQfromZR45QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStation-3-PS3-AS-IS-20GB-Broken-Needs-Repair_W0QQitemZ180100618427QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are non-working ps3s probably sold for spare parts. Hang on, ps3' s not working only 4 months after its launched? Who says the ps3' s build quality is perfect?
I' m not saying the Wiis are any better, but saying ' the ps3 is the best quality unit' so soon after its launched with some evidence to the contrary is a little premature don' t you think.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 27 Mar 07 1:52:26 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 10:20

These are non-working ps3s probably sold for spare parts. Hang on, ps3' s not working only 4 months after its launched? Who says the ps3' s build quality is perfect?
I' m not saying the Wiis are any better, but saying ' the ps3 is the best quality unit' so soon after its launched with some evidence to the contrary is a little premature don' t you think.

True, but i still dont think it will be as bad as the 360' s red light of doom!
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 14:17

I bought PS3 because i could, although i' m enjoying MotorStorm a hell of a lot more than i expected i would.
I Told you lol

I had a 360 I will buy another oner when halo3 comes out I want be out of the loop this go around.

It took me a whole year to play halo 2 I was in Denial

Yeah I can see that but man I had a 360 to me the PS3 was just built better
Way to big if ya ask me but hey.

I not saying that they dont have broken PS3 but you got to give it to sony they built a better machince . But we will see ... I just they hope the black 360 is a great build. I gotta to get the sexy black one yeah I am buying it because its black. lol Black is sexy.
< Message edited by mikayd2 -- 27 Mar 07 13:39:45 >
Nitro

RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 16:06
Terrak, every single one of those machines is within the warranty period so i doubt they are being sold on eBay by people like us. A normal person would just get a replacement.

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 27, 2007 18:59
What products people buy is decided by marketing and brand strength.
That' s all there is to it.
Sony has the strongest videogame brand that has ever existed and their marketing campains are smart, even though they sometimes appear to be stupid. But stupid marketing works.
And I guess the huge PS2 userbase is securing a lot of PS3 buyers since Sony has gained their trust and loyalty.
The only thing that really has the ability to prevent PS3' s from getting sold is the price. But if you have the money, then you get a PS3.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 27 Mar 07 10:59:48 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 07:11
Anybody that can find time to post here regularly, can afford a 600 euro console.
Nitro

RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 07:29

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Anybody that can find time to post here regularly, can afford a 600 euro console.

Why?
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 07:39
Yeah, what if you' ve not got a job
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 09:01
I could easily afford a ps3, my complaint about the ps3 price is the fact that the average consumer will find it hard to justify the price no matter how much technology is packed in it. The only reason i don' t have more then one console is primarily because i would not have enough time to play even one console & My PC, let alone 2-3 consoles & a PC. If don' t have enough time to play all 3 then it would be a waste of money.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 09:06

Why?

Think about it, people who can post here can afford a computer, can afford a broadband connection and I say alot more. I guess there is a standard of living to be had, I doubt many homeless post here.

Even if you have no job or very little source of income, using dail up on your shitty cheap ass laptop. If you want something enough you can get it. maybe if it was 6000 euro maybe, then it would take time. 600 isnt very much money in the long run.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 16:02
I think its unbelievably stupid to sell a console before its replacer is here, unless you really need money for buying food or paying the rent. especially if your getting it further down the line.

anyways.

360: Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Ghost Recon, R6:V, Splinter Cell, Fable 2, and the sequals to those.

PS3: MGS4 :S

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy

So games coming out for both ps3 and 360 will be bought for the 360, since it has a controller worth using, i dont like disjointing my thumbs to use analog sticks
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 16:19
I can afford a computer, have a full time job and a few consoles about the place and I can' t afford a PS3. £425+ games would cripple me, thats almost half my wage for a month.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 16:26
I would agree with that, I have other financial commitments that £400+ is a huge whack out of my monthly income.

Was in my local chav town centre on Saturday (looking for DS games) so went through all the shops, everyone has PS3s in stock, I didn' t see a single one being purchased or being lugged round town. I think beyond the hardcore or mega-fanboy, no-one else will buy it until Xmas or a big price-drop.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: PS3 beats Wii launch weekend, sets new record (UK) - Mar 28, 2007 17:47

360: Halo 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Ghost Recon, R6:V, Splinter Cell, Fable 2, and the sequals to those.

PS3: MGS4 :S

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy

So games coming out for both ps3 and 360 will be bought for the 360, since it has a controller worth using, i dont like disjointing my thumbs to use analog sticks

I see it more like this........

Xbox360: Mass Effect, Fable 2, Forza 2, Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3(so I can see if it deserves the hype it will surely get).

PS3: Motorstorm, MGS4, FF13, GT5, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet!, Lair, Warhawk, The next team ICO game, Coded Arms Assault, God of War 3(eventually), VF5, Tekken, Sports games in general because I prefer PS3 controller.

For both: Assasins Creed, DMC4, Oblivion and Shivering Isles, Half Life 2 orange box, Splinter Cell, GRAW, Resident Evil, and some others I can' t think of atm.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Using the " MGS4" quote that every Xbox supporter uses is ignorant, its obviously not the only good game coming for ps3. It would be just as stupid as a ps3 supporter saying 360 will have Halo 3, thats all. I look forward to the games both consoles have coming as should anyone.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message