Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Lair @ CES just not up to scratch
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 10, 2007 17:09

Last time I was presented with the opportunity to get my hands on Factor 5 and Sony' s Lair, I had to rush it. Not out of disinterest, mind you, but pure time crunch. The Tokyo Game Show floor is thicker with meaty gamers than even E3 was during its busiest days. Later, during my time at the PlayStation Lounge at Sony HQ, I opted to hound Phil Harrison and Ken Kutaragi for caught-on-tape potential embarrassment instead of actual gaming.

What I had played, I' d liked. It had a few rough edges, but hope they' d be smoothed out.

So when given another chance at CES to try out the dragon-flying PS3 exclusive I jumped on it. Unfortunately, my latest impressions were underwhelming. From an artistic standpoint, the game looks fabulous. You are given huge areas within which to fly, with typically no HUD whatsoever obscuring the screen.

The game starts to lose its luster is in a number of places. The framerate is just not up to par. During the training missions and the initial fly through, it held up at an decent level. But during dragon-to-dragon battles and the scorching and clawing of thousands of troops while on foot, it sank to rates that I' d consider bordering on unplayable.

The game also appeared to be heavily aliased, with jagged edges most noticeable on dragon wings and when viewing the hordes of troops from above. This may have been due to the monitor set up, but these were Sony Bravias. Not exactly entry-level.

Now, the PlayStation 3 is being asked to render literally hundreds of armored knights, in addition to fire effects, as well as detailed architecture in a truly massive environment (the expanse is breathtaking), so some drops in frame rate are unexpected. But when those horned tank beasts were dropped by enemy dragons, I had difficulty staying in control. During dragon-to-dragon fisticuffs, the frame rate made the combat look silly, instead of as cool as two dragons biting and clawing eachother to death in midflight should be.

Speaking of controls, while the SIXAXIS-only control system works well, I occasionally had difficulty keeping my dragon on the ground. Taking off from certain ledges off the main bridge were also frustrating. Flying and mid-air combat were easy to pick up, with the motion control feeling very natural after only a few minutes. Still, can we please get an option to use the left analog stick, Sony? It' s currently doing nothing.

The gameplay is varied, from flying, targetting enemy dragons, engaging them in combat, it' s frantic and fun. The satisfaction from burning to death dozens of hapless pawns gives the dragon a real sense of power.

I suspected that the Lair demo may have been an older version of the game (possibly from TGS), but a Sony rep confirmed the game was a " refined" build and that it' s still expected to ship in the spring. As someone who has had Lair on his must-buy list since the game' s debut, I hope that the frame rate issues and graphical hitches are resolved. The game seems like fun, maybe a bit shallow, but still fascinating. While Lair is most likely not the type of game that can be fully absorbed in fifteen minute chunks, I' m hoping to spend even more time with the game in the future.

I just hope those graphical hitches get resolved. Keep your fingers crossed.
Michael McWhertor

LINK
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 10, 2007 17:21
i was about to post that on the PS3 thread, well i have great hopes in this game and i really cant whait to play it, im worryed that the games is still set to release in spring, i belive they should delay it until july or so because it can be a true killer ap. well, will see what happens
< Message edited by fernandino -- 10 Jan 07 9:22:32 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 10, 2007 17:24
Wow...they better fix those.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 10, 2007 18:30
Sad to hear this is on my must have list... i was really expecting a lot from this title... i wonder if it was running in 1080p? if it was maybe they can just cut it down to 720, should help with the slowdown i imagine.
Fingers crossed the guy there was just chatting crap, you know how these sony reps are.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 10, 2007 18:55
Wow... Erm... what happened to Lair?

I was really looking forward to this like 100%..

I wanted freedom, I wanted power! I WANTED DRAGONS!!

Of course I still want them, but I wanted them at a " Sony' s promise" level.. Damn.
Still keep my eyes peeled of course for this one.
< Message edited by Tiz -- 10 Jan 07 10:56:19 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 11, 2007 02:13
Never had much interest for Lair, always seemed a bit shallow to me. Panzer Dragoon seems like much more fun.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 11, 2007 02:16
That doesn' t sound like a Factor 5 game at all.
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: Lair @ CES just not up to scratch - Jan 11, 2007 02:49
Framerate and Bugs are always the last things to be fixed. And he said it was fun.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll