Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 16:21
First of all, i dont care about the techonial junk, i dont care if the ps3 can do 1.8Tflops of extra floating point things than the 360, or that the 360 has built in ram to aviod slow down or whatever.

Looking at the PS3 in game pic compared to that of the 360, i have to say that the ps3 is looking better. Yes you may say that ps3 only has a handful of ingame shots but just compareing that early code like MGS4 to something like Quake 4, which when i saw it, didnt really impress me, unlike MGS. Even the fact that quake 4 is much closer to final code than MGS4 is, is a real eye opener. Hell, its not just quake 4 and mgs4, look at warhawk for the ps3 and perfect dark zero, In generall dispite the early code, ps3 is generally looking better than 360 in my opoion. Of course i could be wrong.

As more and more ingame shots are shown [i am not counting those vids shown at e3] the comparison is made more clear. And with the 6 month or so time to work on the ps3 things can only get better. The 360 is basicly finshed as of now, the realse is drawing ever nearer [10th december].

While Nothing can be said as of yet which is more powerfull, as nobody has either machine, so this is pure speculation and should be treated as such. But just looking at those pics makes me think. How will the two compare? and will earlyer hardware prove to be more powerfull than newer hardware? Only time will tell i guess.

Thats my two cents.
If i had two cents.
Which i dont......
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 17:17
Basically ff13/gran turismo and mgs4 will probably be the best good looking games for ps3 untill their sequals come.
So i dont expect much better graphic,and yes i still think gears of war look better then mgs4.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 17:23
i do think as well that PS3 looks stunning, beter than xbox360 that has very few impressive games (gears of war, Project gotham..)
MGS4 video looks way better than any xbox360 game trailer i' ve seen so far, you can feel that PS3 is the true next gen hell that' s even Next next gen (mgs4 and killzone ) i wish that whatever they displayed was real or almost real, i believe in sony since the ps2 tech demos have been out performed (apart from the lady of ridge racer may be) and surely i believe in hideo san, so when he said it' s real time then it is and that' s daaaaaamn big for what microsoft can handle, at least that' s what it seems so far...
Abasoufiane

RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 17:25
QuezcatoL are u serious ???
about what ??
maaan about everything you said
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 17:31
It' s not fair to compare exlusive next gen games like MGS4 and GTwhatever with 360s multiplatform games. Even games exclusively for both ps3 and 360 won' t look as good as games exclusive to just either system. In other words only exclusive games will have the potential to push the hardware to its limits. You can expect the first wave of 360 games to look inferior to future 360 games as we will see much more multiplatform games with pc. Besides we really havn' t even seen complete games for either 360 or ps3. The games on 360 so far have been designed on alpha kits, even if they are now running on the final hardware the games will still be limited by the Alpha kits limitations to some degree. The fact is that 360 will get UT2007 and the new Fight Night both look amazing and both will look identicle to the ps3 versions. Anyone who makes a choice between ps3 and 360 purely based on hardware will be disapointed as they are more or less on par. It' s really just a matter of what games you like.
Disbeliever

• Total Posts : 1
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 17:52
None of these consoles was able to really impress me and I guess I' m not alone with my thoughts...
most of the titles look like the best ones from the current generation of consoles - for example:

just take a look at Dead Or Alive 4 - is it really pretier than DOA 3/Ultimate, if at all?

or

Next Gen Sonic - it looks not a far way better than Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast, which is a 5 years old game...

and new Gran Turismo? I see few more cars on the track and some people here and there and that' s all... is this supposed to be an improvement?

oh, and I forgot about MGS4 - believe me, I' m a die hard MGS fan and I could kill to spend 1 hour with Hideo Kojima(think what you want), but the shots from TGS are just disappointing - much lower polygon count than expected(from such a " powerfull machine" ) and this overall " Artificiality" . I really dunno what to think about this... I don' t wanna only small improvements, so if I can' t get a serious leap, I guess I want then something completely different, because at this point it' s less than a jump from NES to SNES.

That' s why I' m going to buy a Revolution on it' s launch.

and forgive my bad and simple language, that' s how it is if you' re an east european :P
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 18:34
It can easily be argued that neither system trumps the other graphically at the moment. Just look as these comparison shots of MGS4 and GOW.

GOW

MGS4

Two blatantly different artistic styles going on in those pics, and it all comes down to which style of graphics you prefer. Some think GOW looks better, others MGS4.

Personally I' m not that happy with either (MGS4 background textures are weak, and GOW has STUPID looking characters). Honestly, give me Sonic Next. \m/-^_^-\m/

But as I was saying... I personally feel that j.devs are usually better when it comes to artistic style. Not always, but on average. So I feel the PS3 will overall have a better looking library of games. Not to say the PS3 is definitely the superior system, I' m just saying it' s not always about what you got - but what you do with what you got. A perfect example of this is GT4 vs Forza. Sure Forza is on a more powerful system but GT4 SMASHES Forza in the graphics department. So with the PS3/360 you can stack their best looking games side by side and which system you think looks better won' t be based on technical specs, but what artistic style is more pleasing to your eye.
QuezcatoL

RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 17, 2005 18:46
For me gears of war look better,but as you said lotusson its about taste,for me the graphic engine unreal 3.0 looks better.
But also,gears of war graphic shocked me more then mgs4,basically i was expecting that kind of graphic for ps3 mgs4.
nvm,i still claim and think mgs4 will be one of the best looking game for ps3 for a long time.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 05:40
Yes, both of the systems are basicly the same. It isnt such an obiovus as say compareing the ps2 to xbox. Graphics arent everything, but are the first thing you notice when you look at next gen consoles, Gameplay still regins supreme, I' ve heard people say that Gears of War has very nice graphics but is just a bog standard FPS underneath it all. I suppose that can be said about all next gen games, So i hope that devolopers wont get lazy, instead useing the power of the new consoles for new gameplay elements than simply makeing the game look better. Here' s Hoping.
QuezcatoL

RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 05:55
Well i could say like kojima,i wanna do something else thats why this is the last metal gear game.
I dont want to much of snake :) wanna try something new from him.
And for me this game doesnt looke like a fps,as cliffy said:" if you dont take cover you gonna die,we gonna from the begining slap them on their fingers and say that is not gonna work you gonna die if you run out" .
I like that system,always wanted a game like that,where you took real cover instead of thinking;hm im behind cover am i not? in a fps for ex.
You never knew how well hidden you was etc.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 18 Sep 05 14:51:00 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 06:08
MGS4 could look REALLY cool, if they' d get rid of the MULLET!!

LOL
Naked Snake

• Total Posts : 228
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 06:33
Ditto. But I think they should leave the future stuff for games like " Ghost Recon" or " Terminator" . It isn' t the art of Metal Gear to be that way.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 13:39

I' ve heard people say that Gears of War has very nice graphics but is just a bog standard FPS underneath it al

But GOW isnt a FPS, isnt it in 3rd person perspective and doesnt it include a lot more then just running and gunning...actually I think they said yer screwed if you just go out there running and gunning leaving your team behind.

Anyway, the PS3 is looking damn impressive and they did say it was all in real time...but then again it was just a small peice of the game, somthing that techincally yes was real time but not really a look at the entire game. Could they keep up that style thueout a full length game? Would they have to cut corners here and there such as the AI or whatever else? And also at what point in the consoles life would we see this? Like with any console the longer it its life the better (more often then not) the games become (visually at least). This could be a game in production for the next 4 or 5 years.

However, I have not read all the articles so this is an opinion based off just a trailer and screens.
QuezcatoL

RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 16:43
And how much of gears of war was that dark place at the gas station shown in E3/tgs?
We seen art on outdoor enviroment in some grassy area,how good with the grass look? and the trees?
And how will the cities look when its daylight?
A lot of things that can still suprice us big time from gears of war.
I mean all we seen was just like 3-5 min of the game max.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 18, 2005 20:09
Well if you have seen any of the SpeedTree things for Unreal Engine 3 you would know just how amazing the grass, trees, and other natural outdoor things are. Trust me, it is teh pwn.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 19, 2005 00:48
Lotusson is right - the Japanese Devs are really cool when it comes to artistic aproach - what they did with MGS3 for PS2 is amazing.Resident evil 4 for GCN also had incredible artistic creations.

Some of you compare MGS4 to Dead or Alive 4 or other games - we all know that when MGS4 hits the shelves it will be the best looking PS3 game (and it will be like that for a year after) so if you wanna compare it with Xbox 360 titles go against the Gears of war or PGR3.

We' ve all seen the footage of PS2 games and tech demos for them yet when they arrived they just didn' t deliver (from graphics standpoint).I' m pretty sure that MGS4 will make use of almost everything PS3 has to offer while all current Xbox360 games use only 1 of 3 CPU cores.

Still I bet that games for PS3 will be more fun than those on Xbox 360 - I' ve been playing Xbox for years now and having finished most games worth something (1st Splinter Cell ,Outrun 2 , Dead or Alive ,PGR2, HAlO' s , Ninja Gaiden , Otogi 2 and a few more) I' m goin for the PS2 and it' s gorgeus high quality gameplay games.

But PS3 is not a good system to get at launch not only cuz it' s always flawed in some way but it also has crappy games for the first 1-2 years of existence.

I just wonder if MS finally got the gameplay that won' t feel SEMI-PC
Abasoufiane

RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 19, 2005 07:05

We' ve all seen the footage of PS2 games and tech demos for them yet when they arrived they just didn' t deliver (from graphics standpoint).I' m pretty sure that MGS4 will make use of almost everything PS3 has to offer while all current Xbox360 games use only 1 of 3 CPU cores.

sorry but you are dead wrong, playstation 2 did deliver what it promised and even outperformed it (may be an exception for the ridge racer lady), you have to see those videos again shown in E3 2000 and you' ll notice how PS2 nowadays games are better...

The video of Tekken they showed, well Tekken 5 looks better

Gran turismo 2001 ===========> Gran turismo 4 or even 3 look much better

The old man ===== just have a look to Faces in Silent Hill3... this is just one exemple.

oh and that FF8 video, actualy it doesn' t match The true CG of the real Game, you can see that in this Video, the background was Empty (no crowd or people dancing) , low polygons and low textures ... so just Have a look at God of War and MGS3 characters ... man the whole game look better...

]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 19, 2005 12:23
yeah that' s right but what they promised was " ultimate technology / Emotion engine" and shit.

Now the face from tech demo is far superior to SH3 faces man.

Plus if they didn' t lie to you than that means you just bought a PS2 cuz most of us where playing games that are far from the Tech demos and we were playing them for a few years.

What about all the jaggies? and PS2 being the least powerfull of all ? No they did not say that quite the opposite.

The games are cool but they lied about graphics just like they lie that killzone Demo is Realtime and that' s no speculation it' s a fact already.

Still it could be powerfull I' m just saying I' m not convinced.

And HELL YEAH MAN that RR girl was hopeless why did they change Reiko she was drop dead gorgeus man :)

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Sep 20, 2005 16:27
I disagree with jap devs being more artistic than usa devs.
Halo has an awesome blend of artistic and realistic graphics and so did UT2k4.
Pretty much any game made by blizzard has a nice artistic feel to it.
Of coures there are jap games that have good artistic graphics too, but I don' t think usa or jap devs can be classified as more artistic.
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: Is it Just me or is the PS3 Looking Better? - Oct 05, 2005 02:25
It' s difficult to say what mgs looks like because the hardware has yet to exist(the rsx is still not ready, and wont be till before the ps3 launch)
Almost all ps3 videos are concepts.
So to be honest, the xbox360 impresses me alot more, seeing as the final kits are here and are running gears of war in real time.
I also think sony should realize not everyone is immune to the wave of naive people in the gaming comunity are suffering from.
And some people don' t yet realize that mgs4 and killzone were premade concept videos.

Only an idiot would believe that..don' t you agree?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message