Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hd-dvd price?
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 25 of 25
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 08:12

(If I say it enough, It' s gotta come true, right?)

No.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 08:33

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

They sense their impending doom.

It' s so much fun winding those guys up and for some reason on the playstation site there is no sub-forums for other platforms but there is on the 360 and I think nintendo' s.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 18:27

In a few years ps3 will get things that 360 cant, simply becuase hd-dvd cant be used. They have the same issue with the harddrive.

The difference is not as vast as the hype would have us believe.

PC Games on DVD did not truly affect CD game sales for around 5 years, the same will be for this generation. Developers in the majority are not going to go out on a limb to develop content in quantaties larger than the studio can manage within time & budget constraints. Especially when the majority of developers keep an eye on the other platforms for porting.

MS have sussed out that as a gaming format 10x space is not needed yet - this is a correct assumption. Now factor in the cost of 3-5 years depreciation of standard DVD, where as sony will keep the re-manufactuiong costs of their own media high to make money.

Surely the DVD' s will just go to dual layer, giving a insanely cheap 8gb solution. Studios just arnt ready - the development hardware simply doesnt exist yet to put out games that are that big.

Id prefer an optomised 4-8 gb than thrown on CG content vids - which seems to be the only real plus point people can add about this. Especially when scripting realtime 3d uses a fraction of what traditional video uses. So all this talk of extra video doesnt really wash with me as if they rendered it using their in game engine each cut scene would be 1-5 meg not 100' s, the other is just a cop out as I prefer the feel of ' ingame' cutties.

To sum up, I think there is some great hardware inside the PS3, but I' m dam sure that 8gb of DVD will be more than enough for 5 years or more. Unless you think for one second that the PC games industry is going to miss out on HD games? When developers have widespread high def pc rom drives then maybe, just maybe you will start to see the odd title which requires a little extra space. But seriously, games will be unafected by " extra storage " this generation. There is too much else that needs to change before it could even be profitable for them.
< Message edited by musashi -- 17 Aug 06 10:29:54 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 18:37
And dont forget if the dev adds one extra DVD, you have a whooping 16 gigs to use! with only one DVD swap
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 18, 2006 00:04
Well said musashi I completely agree with everything you said there....I was just not that compitent to write it...

By the way about the speculations on hd-dvd games.

A senior Microsoft employee has once again used an online weblog to clarify policy for the Xbox 360, with the company' s John Porcaro stating officially that there will be no HD-DVD format games released for Microsoft' s next-gen console this year.

Porcaro, communications manager at Microsoft’s global games marketing team, wrote on Gamerscore Blog that, “I' m seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.”

His comments were apparently in reference to the reporting of a Consumer Electronics Daily newsletter article, in which Microsoft Games Studios general manager Dave Luehmann is quoted as saying that the publisher has ruled out any HD DVD game titles for “this holiday”, but with the suggestion that a decision post 2006 had not yet been taken.

Porcaro’s comments continued, “Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we’ve been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD.”

“At this point, we haven’t seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disc manufacturing and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience,” added Porcaro.

This announcement continues Microsoft' s seemingly successful strategy of bolstering official press releases with weblog statements from senior Xbox 360 team members such as Larry ' Major Nelson' Hryb - as well as more personal opinions from figures such as Microsoft director of games platform strategy, Andre Vrignaud, who recently stepped up to describe 1080 pixel screen resolutions as “meaningless”.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 25 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message