Hd-dvd price?

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
  • Reward points : 0
Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 06:19

Taiwan game industry favors Microsoft' s adoption of external HD-DVD dives for Xbox 360
Printer friendly

Related stories

Comments

Email to a friend

Latest news

Related topic

Hot systems

Yen-ting Chen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DigiTimes.com [Monday 14 August 2006]

Microsoft will launch external HD-DVD drives for its Xbox 360 at a retail price of US$200 by Christmas of this year, and Taiwanese games developers and gaming services providers indicated this this is a smart marketing strategy as compared with Sony' s adoption of built-in BD drives for its PlayStation 3 (PS3).

External drives have more flexibility than built-in models, the companies pointed out, while adding that despite BD having a much larger storage capacity than HD-DVD, pre-installation of BD drives may decrease the market competitiveness of PS3 units.

Microsoft adopted HD-DVD instead of BD mainly because HD-DVD is compatible with existing DVD formats while also having much lower production costs, the Taiwanese companies noted.

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060814A5023.aspx

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 06:35
200 quid? Wasnt everybody expecting it to be a 100?

then add that up, it equals the ps3 price.

but ps3 has free online and larger disc capacity.

more or less the same now eh?

Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 06:40
I dont think it' s the squid I think it' s just dollars mind you these days it equals off a lot of the time any way....but not sure if it' s official. If it is true well I think it explains why the price drop may not happen because the 100 might go there instead with a package like I was saying before.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 14 Aug 06 22:41:47 >

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 06:55
I read somewhere... can' t remember where, but i read that M$ wanted to provide the hd-dvd at a price which would make owning it and a 360 (obviously) cheaper than a ps3.

I need to start remembering where i read this stuff...
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 07:02
If I remember right I think they did mention something of pricing it to be competitive. But if it is priced with the same as the ps3 it' s gonna be an interesting christmas to say the least. Because hd-dvd has had a good start so far and to people wanting to adopt it 200 is a crazy offer however for people willing to give blu-ray a try with hardly any gaming intentions thats gonna look good to them too so.....

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 07:06

I need to start remembering where i read this stuff...

hmm internet maybe?

:)

if it' s 200$ -it sucks.I' d rather get a fully featured (one) device with bigger hDD and next gen HDMI for the same price.

That is if I would care at least a bit about HD movies - and I don' t.
It' s all about games.

as a gaming system 360 looks like much better value for money.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 11:46
lol thats just as much as the ps3 400 360 then an 200 drive lol you just got to love that one so i guess the ps3 price is justified

it seem like every body is sticking it to every body but hey its all good in the end

ms should sell there drive for 99 bucks now that would be nice but the again we all know how external drives work for consoles dont we but hey its all good

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 11:56
Actually, even though the HD-DVD + 360 is more or less = PS3, how abt the accumulative cost of buying Blu-Ray movies/games? Or the movies/games combo on one disc that Sony and Dreamworks are thinking about?

Eventually, you' re still spending more on the PS3 once you start buying those games. Worse is that if they' re only better than the 360 ones in terms of graphics, I have no idea what the extra 20+GB of space on the Blu-Ray is for anyway...

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 15:16

but ps3 has free online and larger disc capacity.

The blu ray discs are more expensive! and you might get free online, but there is no guarentee of quality of service, if say you are playing your favorite online game Goldfish and the goblers, and the company that made that game has to shut its doors, no more Goldfishes and goblers for you! Same if they simply decide to discontinue the servers! With Live, you are guarenteed quality servers and services!

Dyack
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 15:51
The key here is you have a choice to buy that drive for the 360.

People buying these consoles for the games not the damn hd-dvd or blu ray drives. You don' t have a choice with the ps3 you are forced to a pay a premium for blu ray whether you want it or not.

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 17:35
I agree the key is the choice thing. Because not to justify it or anything but you can look at it as which to be honest it is another added accessory that doesn' t relate to your gaming experience directly. I have no idea either what the extra 20g on the blu-ray is for either but sony' s all about quantity. And were' nt there some other wireless apparells they said were coming this ' ' fall' ' too?.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 15, 2006 18:49
I don' t care about the price I only need to know two things about this HD-DVD add-on. 1. what are the drive speeds? and 2. is it possible to connect it to pc in order to use HD-DVD video or even better HD-DVD Rom.

Mass X
  • Total Posts : 4491
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 16, 2006 00:18
$200 hm? Well that' s a shame. Maybe if the movie selection is better, then I' ll be more interested...It' s a good value for a HD-DVD tho, just no cheaper then PS3 internal Blu-ray player.

However, that' s funny tho, that I can say that and still have a good gaming console at the same time.

Silentbomber
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 16, 2006 00:44
Yeah choice is good, but wont you perfer if games could be devolped with Hd-dvd in mind?

In a few years ps3 will get things that 360 cant, simply becuase hd-dvd cant be used. They have the same issue with the harddrive.

Consoles arent Pc' s, you dont update them, leave out parts or install new ones, every console should be more or less the same, each having all the same the key components as each other, this way games can be brought to the full potential without devs having to worry about low end users.

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 16, 2006 01:48

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Yeah choice is good, but wont you perfer if games could be devolped with Hd-dvd in mind?

What you mean just like wii?...

In a few years ps3 will get things that 360 cant, simply becuase hd-dvd cant be used. They have the same issue with the harddrive.

Such as?.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 16, 2006 02:21

ORIGINAL: dasher232

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

What you mean just like wii?...

Such as?.

Just like wii... I guess your trying to make a point here, but lets face it, why would a SD game console have anything to do with HD. whereas 360 is a HD console.

As for the second point about the HDD... well, i think to the xbox vs ps2, i think of faster loading, if nothing else. I don' t know if devs are gonna use the hdd to speed loads on many 360 games if not everyone can do it. But guessing the future is pointless so i' ll look to the past.
Sony used a next gen format, sure it was probably more expensive than cd, but now games all use dvd' s for their capacity, not cd. So I guess that in a few years we could think like, sony were smart to use blu-ray, but... maybe not... Where has that crystal ball gone...?
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 16, 2006 02:57

Just like wii... I guess your trying to make a point here, but lets face it, why would a SD game console have anything to do with HD. whereas 360 is a HD console.

As for the second point about the HDD... well, i think to the xbox vs ps2, i think of faster loading, if nothing else. I don' t know if devs are gonna use the hdd to speed loads on many 360 games if not everyone can do it. But guessing the future is pointless so i' ll look to the past.
Sony used a next gen format, sure it was probably more expensive than cd, but now games all use dvd' s for their capacity, not cd. So I guess that in a few years we could think like, sony were smart to use blu-ray, but... maybe not... Where has that crystal ball gone...?

Sony using the dvd as a format is slightly different in that the costs for developing couldn' t be avoided if you wanted a console that was in the disk age. However would it not make much more sense to utilise the dvd format to it' s fullest meanwhile keeping costs down and learning how to manage the next format better?.

You said something about ' ' what would a sd have anything to do with the hd era' ' . However aren' t they using the same dvd format to achieve it?.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 15 Aug 06 18:58:30 >

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 06:35
If PS3 games will look as good as those for 360 , then it will be clear that PS3 is worth it' s price with all that shit inside (HDD isn' t optional - it' s there to make loadtimes shorter and EVERY game uses it).

We don' t know, as of yet, how much disc capacity can influence next gen games

It will soon be clear if next gen disc format is a big advantage over DVD in games or nothing but a stupid high-end gimmick.

I' m no PS3 fan, but I' ll hold my judgement for a while - assuming too much won' t do us any good.

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 16 Aug 06 22:39:05 >

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 06:50

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

I' m no PS3 fan, but I' ll hold my judgement for a while - assuming too much won' t do us any good.

I swear you shouldn' t go to the ps3 forums those guys seem to hate the wii for some reason. Anyway I think like you said if the difference cant be seen then it won' t be important.

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 07:02

I swear you shouldn' t go to the ps3 forums those guys seem to hate the wii for some reason.

They sense their impending doom.

However would it not make much more sense to utilise the dvd format to it' s fullest meanwhile keeping costs down and learning how to manage the next format better?.
Definately. CD was being implemented for at least a generation before the original Playstation, and DVD games like Oblivion prove that capacity isn' t a major issue at the moment. At least November is next month (If I say it enough, It' s gotta come true, right?)

Silentbomber
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 08:12

(If I say it enough, It' s gotta come true, right?)

No.

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 08:33

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

They sense their impending doom.

It' s so much fun winding those guys up and for some reason on the playstation site there is no sub-forums for other platforms but there is on the 360 and I think nintendo' s.

Ikashiru
  • Total Posts : 649
  • Reward points : 24890
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 18:27

The difference is not as vast as the hype would have us believe.

PC Games on DVD did not truly affect CD game sales for around 5 years, the same will be for this generation. Developers in the majority are not going to go out on a limb to develop content in quantaties larger than the studio can manage within time & budget constraints. Especially when the majority of developers keep an eye on the other platforms for porting.

MS have sussed out that as a gaming format 10x space is not needed yet - this is a correct assumption. Now factor in the cost of 3-5 years depreciation of standard DVD, where as sony will keep the re-manufactuiong costs of their own media high to make money.

Surely the DVD' s will just go to dual layer, giving a insanely cheap 8gb solution. Studios just arnt ready - the development hardware simply doesnt exist yet to put out games that are that big.

Id prefer an optomised 4-8 gb than thrown on CG content vids - which seems to be the only real plus point people can add about this. Especially when scripting realtime 3d uses a fraction of what traditional video uses. So all this talk of extra video doesnt really wash with me as if they rendered it using their in game engine each cut scene would be 1-5 meg not 100' s, the other is just a cop out as I prefer the feel of ' ingame' cutties.

To sum up, I think there is some great hardware inside the PS3, but I' m dam sure that 8gb of DVD will be more than enough for 5 years or more. Unless you think for one second that the PC games industry is going to miss out on HD games? When developers have widespread high def pc rom drives then maybe, just maybe you will start to see the odd title which requires a little extra space. But seriously, games will be unafected by " extra storage " this generation. There is too much else that needs to change before it could even be profitable for them.
< Message edited by musashi -- 17 Aug 06 10:29:54 >

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 17, 2006 18:37
And dont forget if the dev adds one extra DVD, you have a whooping 16 gigs to use! with only one DVD swap

dasher232
RE: Hd-dvd price? - Aug 18, 2006 00:04
Well said musashi I completely agree with everything you said there....I was just not that compitent to write it...

By the way about the speculations on hd-dvd games.

A senior Microsoft employee has once again used an online weblog to clarify policy for the Xbox 360, with the company' s John Porcaro stating officially that there will be no HD-DVD format games released for Microsoft' s next-gen console this year.

Porcaro, communications manager at Microsoft’s global games marketing team, wrote on Gamerscore Blog that, “I' m seeing lots of speculation about our upcoming HD DVD Player, and whether we have plans to publish HD DVD games. The answer is no.”

His comments were apparently in reference to the reporting of a Consumer Electronics Daily newsletter article, in which Microsoft Games Studios general manager Dave Luehmann is quoted as saying that the publisher has ruled out any HD DVD game titles for “this holiday”, but with the suggestion that a decision post 2006 had not yet been taken.

Porcaro’s comments continued, “Since announcing the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player accessory at E3 2006, we’ve been clear that it is designed exclusively for playing HD DVD movies. It will not play games on HD DVD.”

“At this point, we haven’t seen anything to suggest that next-gen DVD formats offer a better game experience than current DVD. What we do know is that these formats will bring added cost to game developers, disc manufacturing and could even result in added costs and longer load times for the consumer, which would negatively impact the game experience,” added Porcaro.

This announcement continues Microsoft' s seemingly successful strategy of bolstering official press releases with weblog statements from senior Xbox 360 team members such as Larry ' Major Nelson' Hryb - as well as more personal opinions from figures such as Microsoft director of games platform strategy, Andre Vrignaud, who recently stepped up to describe 1080 pixel screen resolutions as “meaningless”.