Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 GDC
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 54
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
GDC - Mar 21, 2006 02:36
Started a few hours ago and runs until Friday.

I managed to find the floorplan, ...check out the Nintendo Interactive Lounge! Early Revolution demos maybe?!

Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 02:40
I have 6 friends from school that went. One is staying with the developers of The Elder Scrolls.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 02:56
I wanted to get a pass for E3 this year but can' t. We' re going to TGS instead which i' m telling myself is even better.

As for GDC, none of the keynote speaches are today or tomorrow so it' ll probably be Wednesday before anything of real interest comes to light. If Nintendo have playable Revolution demo' s, it' d be pretty cool and give eneryone a reasonable insight to how Revolution games will play.

On another note, i' m hearing that the GPU in Revolution (Hollywood) is comparable to an x800 which if true is a VERY good thing seeing as the card can run games like; Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Doom 3, Quake 4 and FEAR on maximum settings.

While 360 and PS3 can obviously do much more than current PC' s, it still means that Revolution could possibly run a game like Oblivion since they won' t be supporting HD. It' s also very possibly true since it' s definately an ATi card that the console will use.

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 20 Mar 06 19:08:31 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 03:17
Thanks for the info majik. I completely forgot about GDC, can' t believe it.

I have no doubt about how nice the rev' s gfx will not, given it wont be supporting HD there is a lot more room for things, if you get what i mean.

I am looking forward to hearing the speeches from the 3 companies.

I would like to see some rev demos, and maybe concrete spec.
Sony release information, (as in price) and some game demos would be nice.
MS... Well it' s the last machine on my wishlist, and i can' t think of anything i need to hear right now, but something cool.
And that sega have been secretly developing a new system that wipes the floor with ps3 rev and 360, combined. Both innovative and powerful, and with sega back as good as the old days, with shenmue complete as a launch game, with After burner, VF5, NiGHTS, Outrun 3, Streets of rage, altered beast (real sequel)...
.... Ok, I' ll shut up now....
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 04:20
going to be interesting, the Microsoft evangelism chaps were being cagey about some big announcements regarding XNA and they let slip what it could be about, I hope it is regarding what they said, if i is, it ties in with the theme of all the support they are giving dev teams working on 360 titles.

Would be funny if the rev came out with a trump gfx upgrade at the last min, unlikely, but would be oh so funny!

aaah dreams of another Sega console! *weeps*
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 20 Mar 06 20:21:41 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 05:15

On another note, i' m hearing that the GPU in Revolution (Hollywood) is comparable to an x800

Revs GPU is a completely original design -nowhere near anything else from Ati - that' s what Ati guys said in an interview.They said that N came to them , told them what they want and how to do it and they just made it.It' s supposed to be very original and unlike any PC GPU.

This interview is about 1-2 months old so I don' t really remember where it was sorry :)
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 05:39
Maybe I mis-understood your point Gansta, but i think what majik is getting at is the levels of performance and visuals
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 06:14
the Sega DreamStation540! YEAH!!! The main difference between this console and the Playstation 3 is subtle. they both said they' ll make toast. but see, Sega is actually honest about release and performance, and it' ll make toast on release date! yay for consumer honesty!

Moving on, i completely forgot about GDC, but looking at it objectively, i' m thinking that...
1-Sony will release an exact date, if not an exact price, for their console.
2-Microsoft will have something to say about their HD-DVD add-on.
3-Nintendo will do something quirky and offbeat that is beyond speculation, just because it' s Nintendo.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 06:38

ORIGINAL: uumai

Maybe I mis-understood your point Gansta, but i think what majik is getting at is the levels of performance and visuals

Exactly. Everyone knows Revolution and 360 have custom built GPU' s, with PS3 being the only console to use pre-existing technology.

What i was getting at is that the visual output will be comparable to an ATi x800.

Sony will release an exact date, if not an exact price, for their console

Noooooooooo, not until E3 at the earliest. I think Sony will want to get an idea about how much the Revolution will cost and whether a 360 price drop will happen towards the end of the year before committing to anything.

Microsoft will have something to say about their HD-DVD add-on.

I doubt it. They' ve avoided the issue lately and distanced themselves from Toshiba. It' s possible when you take into account the problems Blu-Ray has had but i find it unlikely. Most people haven' t really expressed much interest in a HD-DVD add-on for 360 as it is and i would expect Microsoft to wait longer and see what happens with Blu-Ray.

I think Microsoft will formally announce their handheld gaming device (not Origami) and stuff about Xbox Live, ....maybe the DirecTV blade...

Nintendo will do something quirky and offbeat that is beyond speculation, just because it' s Nintendo.

While they won' t announce everything about Revolution, it' s possible they' ll use their keynote speech to announce the consoles final name. I doubt they' ll talk about things like the price point but they may talk about how much NES, SNES, N64 games etc... will cost to download.

I expect they' ll showcase the controller and hint at the consoles final secret but they' ll need to conserve some ammunition for E3, specifically because they need to keep the console on everybody' s minds.

If only Nintendo and Sega united!
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 07:02

I wouldnt like to play VF5 on the Rev controller.. I wish SEGA just made a Dreamcast 2 and launched with VF5, Sonic and Shenmue 3

Seriously, im not too bothered about PS3 i know its gonna be along the same lines as 360 and wont offer much new.. Ild be watching Nintendos news, the thought of playing Zelda: TP with Rev controller alone has sold me.

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 20 Mar 06 23:06:45 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 07:55
GDC is not really a media event, like E3 or Tgs, its a game devolpers conference so dont ecpect alot of news to come from it, if any. Like all GDC' s before it.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 09:26

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

GDC is not really a media event, like E3 or Tgs, its a game devolpers conference so dont ecpect alot of news to come from it, if any. Like all GDC' s before it.

Erm, GDC has always been key. Annoncements are made every year, ...i don' t understand where you would get the idea that just because it' s not E3 or TGS, that it means big announcements aren' t made.

For example, ...at GDC 2005 Microsoft announced the first official details about 360. Epic showcased the Unreal Engine 3.0.

It would make sense for Sony and Nintendo to give us new details on their next-gen hardware.

Just this morning Microsoft distributed pre-release versions of XNA studio and announced they would be opening up Xbox Lives server platform to studios working on 360 titles.

Sony' s Phil Harrison will be giving a keynote speech on Wednesday entitled " PlayStation 3: Beyond the Box," and is likely to reveal important details of Sony' s online infrastructure.

It' s Nintendo' s keynote speech i' ll be watching for though. It' s said Iwata will be revealing something huge, and it was Reggie who said it...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 09:37

That OR Namco and Sega *sigh*

Why do these companies merge with companies they have almost nothing in common with.. Namco-Bandai? WHAT THE HELL???? Sega-Sammy? WHAT THE FOOOK???

Sega-Namco would have been SO friggin SWEET!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 21 Mar 06 1:40:06 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: GDC - Mar 21, 2006 09:44
Majik, I think what Silentbomber is alluding to is the technical aspect of the GDC, which focuses of the development side (obviously), as opposed to the game shows, which focus on the WHIZZ, BANG, BOOM of consumerism and titillation. There won' t likely be any new games announced at the Game Developers Conference, nor any announcements about pricing, which is what most gamers are in a state of anxious anticipation over. Demos, and videos, y' know.

What I' m saying is that while you will be masterbating at the news given at the GDC, most of us will hold off on blowing our load ' til E3!
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 22, 2006 02:14

In a recent interview with Firing Squad, GDC director Jamil Moledin hinted at big news to come from both Sony and Nintendo. In response to a question regarding this year' s conference, the director replied: " Yes, I would strongly recommend attending the two platform keynotes from Sony’s Phil Harrison and Nintendo’s Satoru Iwata. Trust me!"

For the recored, Mr. Moledin has a interest in the show' s attendance, so teasers are only a good thing. Regardless, let' s hope Iwata’s speech on Thursday from 10:30-11:30AM will deliver. We' ll be blogging live from the event so stop by for all the goods.

http://xbox360.joystiq.com/2006/03/21/gdc-director-hints-at-big-nintendo-sony-news/
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: GDC - Mar 22, 2006 07:06

You got it right the first time - I' m saying that guys at ATI said some really strange things about Revs GPU.It made me think of it as something that' s more original than just GPU Features - it' s not your typical GPU.That' s what I think after reading it - I wish I could find this interview for you.

What they basically said is that it is impossible to compare it to any PC GPU because of it' s unique purpose and shit.Not like 360 GPU that is hard to compare because of it' s innovative features.

I' m not saying that to argue - it' s just really interesting.
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 22, 2006 23:50
Well SOMETHING big is DEFINATELY going to be announced by Nintendo tomorrow...
NGC magazine' s Martin Kitts has said...

" it would be nice to delay [this issue] slightly longer, so we could tell you all about the exciting news that' s scheduled to break about the day after the magazine hits the shelves. Ho hum. Keep your eyes on the internet, then, and I' ll see you back here on 27th April for a full, frank and devastatingly funny analysis of what may well turn out to be the second most interesting announcement of the year..."

...and Nintendo Official Magazine has delayed theie issue until the 25th due so so called " printing issues" ...

My guess is that NOM already know what' s going down and have been told to hold the issue until the announcements have been made.

I wonder what it could be...
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 22 Mar 06 15:50:33 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 00:06
Sequal to " tales of symphonia" ?! :P
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 00:14
Unlikely.

More like them announcing the final name for Revolution, and maybe actual launch dates (could be sooner than November).

Other than that, probably the official ' DS Lite will be available in the US' announcement and maybe they' ll be pimping the Brain Training game...

I doubt they' ll release any info on Revolutions final secret, but it' s possible they' ll show some Revolution demo' s. I guess we' ll find out tomorrow, ...but whatever it is it' s big enough for NOM to hold this months issue until after the show...
Nitro

RE: GDC - Mar 23, 2006 01:35
This is a leaked picture of one of the PS3 demo pods at GDC...

...and as you can see, it' s being displayed with a Dual Analog 2 pad and still isn' t in the final shell. Looks like the final hardware STILL isn' t finalized and they' re using what is essentiallt a dev-kit to show it off.

Also note that on the monitor, Windows XP is displayed, not Linux.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 54

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message