Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 AI
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
AI - Apr 14, 2006 03:28
My spelling is really out of whack today lol

What do you think makes Good Artificial intelligence in a game .

I will pick out Killzone for reasons some won' t understand.

Well in KZ on multiplayer when your are fighting the com your
likely to be able walk up behind an opponent and kill them.
Some people think it is bad AI.
It is actually more realistic AI, as the com can' t see you for without reason.
I like this some think it is stupid AI but it is really artificially flavor intelligence.
Since it is not an actual human it has to tas.. put in something that is made
to perform similar without side effects of the com just
knowing exactly where you are

DON' T GET ME WRONG (darn capslock) I still like the Omni All Knowing A I too
(for direct difficulty and predictability)but I would still rather have both.

What are some of your examples and hopes?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 04:13
Oh now this is the kind of thread i like to see!

Y' know, i don' t think it' s possible to program anything that would mimick an actual person effectively. AI, and bots in particular made leaps and bounds thanks to id Software and Quake 3 in particular, but even though huge advancements have been made since then, evident in games like CoD2, Advanced Warfighter and FEAR, ...i don' t think it will ever get to the point where you would be unable to distinguish between a CPU controlled bot and a real person.

There' s simply too much to take into account. I mean, it' ll get better, but you would have to be able to program thing like; cunning, intuition, spacial awareness, self preservation etc, along with a whole host of subconcious attributes.

AI would have to be able to " think" about it' s options and what the outcome of performing them might be.

You' d have to give it logic and self awareness.

I don' t think i' ve played a game that has had totally accpetable AI. I mean, Oblivion' s Radiant AI is nice, but random NPC interaction is nothing new and everything else is pre-defined. It put on a good show, but falls down when you test it.

I think one genre that could really do with better AI is fighting games. Fight Night Round 3 is cool, and the opponents again put on a good show, but games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter need some work. Dead or Alive 4 masks it' s AI by just being very hard, even on easy it' s harder than other fighting games.

I want to see enemies that are afraid to die.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 06:19
I like dumb enemies - this way I can just go and shoot like crazy with blood all over me singing " oh I' m gonna go straight to hell , I' m gonna go straight ..."

:)

I think VF4 has a fantastic solution - they copied fighting data from Arcades - styles of real people.I think that playing with AI will never be the best experience of fighting games.

FPS games and RPGs like Oblivion definitely need great AI the most.

Racing games - another area where AI doesn' t seem to exist.

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 09:05
Unreal Tournament 2004' s AI is ridiculously amazing.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 16:35

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Y' know, i don' t think it' s possible to program anything that would mimick an actual person effectively. AI, and bots in particular made leaps and bounds thanks to id Software and Quake 3 in particular, but even though huge advancements have been made since then, evident in games like CoD2, Advanced Warfighter and FEAR, ...i don' t think it will ever get to the point where you would be unable to distinguish between a CPU controlled bot and a real person.

There' s simply too much to take into account. I mean, it' ll get better, but you would have to be able to program thing like; cunning, intuition, spacial awareness, self preservation etc, along with a whole host of subconcious attributes.

AI would have to be able to " think" about it' s options and what the outcome of performing them might be.

You' d have to give it logic and self awareness.

I' d have to disagree with you on this one, Majik. I think, with enough processing power you could mimic a human player with a bot. It' s just a matter of variables, you know. And you can only do so many things in a game, anyway. For example, in a fps you can only move right, left, forward, or back! You can only jump, stand or duck. You can only shoot, not shoot, or lob a grenade. My point being that video games are relatively simple. They have to be because the interface is simple. As such, if you take into account all the variables (or most, anyway) and create a response that a human would do, then it' s possible.

As far as giving it logic and making it self-aware... no. Actual A.I. might be right around the corner, but I doubt it.

The key phrase here is " mimicry" . Can you simulate human behavior to the point where you can' t tell the difference? I believe it will happen. Probably soon, too.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 20:32
But bot' s aren' t afriad to die or get worried because they don' t know where you are. They don' t stalk you or run away and hide when they lose the upper hand. They don' t think to walk to minimise the noise they create or crouch in shadows to minimize their visability.

There' s a lot more to a players response, much of it subconcious that is almost impossible to program into a CPU controlled character.

Enemies in games like Half Life 2, Advanced Warfighter or FEAR simulate basic teamwork, trying to flank you, whatever. But it' s far from realistic. We are a long way off AI that is advanced enough so that you wouldn' t know whether you were playing a human or not.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 21:46
Gotta agree with you majik, long long way off yet... But still forgetting fps... We so need better AI in racing games. Most of these games seem to use the rails, it needs to be more like players play... AI that would adjust to the way you play a racing game would be really cool... to play in a similar way... to make mistakes and not know when to take every turn perfectly... etc etc etc.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: AI - Apr 14, 2006 22:18
I would say the A.I in Fear is the best i came across,,or no wait,Oblivion has the best A.I i seen :)

PDZ ai is one of the worse,hey you shot me? and im in the opend? wtf,wahat are you the player wiating for,im standing here dont even know i got shot,shoot me again ffs,now i shot some bullets at your way and pretend like im a threat :P
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: AI - Apr 16, 2006 11:55
AI doesn' t have to be overly complex for some games like in stratergy rpgs
like Makai Kingdom where they basically go after your weakest character and
kill them depending on the com' s strength.

This game made harder by this tactic and a increase of enemy strength.

But what they could add is... they know when is a good time to do what and
where, what they can and can not take who is doing the most damage\benefit (ally or enemy)
Disabling a source of healing and strengthening and weakening.

Rate of approach
mov----> attack range---------->

and whatever else I don' t feel like typing

I wanted to go into more depth but lol...
I need a money for gaming school the details matter too much to me
< Message edited by Kannon -- 16 Apr 06 3:58:05 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread