Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy?
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 23, 2008 11:09
Looks like the re-vamped PSP 3000 could be showing some signs that it's 'better' screen might be showing up bad code, either that or the little handhelds screen might be that good that it is just too powerful for older games.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/22/psp_3000_scan_lines/

You'll see in the screenshots in the article that either way this might dent the PSP's future.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 23, 2008 17:38
I dont see how. Anyone who is truly a hardcore gamer and interested in the PSP has one by now.

The real killer is the even shorter battery life. I dont know what pisses me off more, the PSP or Zune's  battery life, especially now that they have games (Hexic is my crack) on the zune.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 23, 2008 19:15
I'm trying to figure out what's gone wrong with Sony over the past few years.  Maybe it's just too big a company with too many different agendas to keep things organized well.  Perhaps also the vast majority of people who drove the phenomenal sales of the PS1 and PS2 are actually the main userbase of the Wii, while Sony's strategic shift to market the PS3 as a high-end machine -- and M$'s aggressive strategy of acquiring cross-platform titles that were previously exclusive to Sony -- has split the hardcore base.

Just today Sony announced they've slashed their projected profits for the fiscal year by a stunning 59%.  The 360 keeps chugging along in Japan and actually increased its weekly sales lead over the PS3 this past week.  One silver lining for Sony is that the PSP has a commanding sales lead over everything else.  But this statement doesn't bode well for Sony:

"The economic situation has rapidly deteriorated," quoted an AFP news report of Sony CEO Nobuyuki Oneda, who also described the downturn as "beyond our expectations". Oneda indicated that the company was looking for ways to continue to cut costs and did not rule out further job losses.

ys

• Total Posts : 532
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 25, 2008 19:26
Zoy

Perhaps also the vast majority of people who drove the phenomenal sales of the PS1 and PS2 are actually the main userbase of the Wii, while Sony's strategic shift to market the PS3 as a high-end machine -- and M$'s aggressive strategy of acquiring cross-platform titles that were previously exclusive to Sony -- has split the hardcore base.

It is actually like this. I saw some numbers a while ago which showed that a big majority of the PS2 owners went to Wii. I'm not sure anymore though which console came second and third there. It did surprise me though since I thought that most PS2 owners would go to the PS3 automatically. Or at least a very big part. Even despite the price then.

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 25, 2008 21:13
ys

Zoy

Perhaps also the vast majority of people who drove the phenomenal sales of the PS1 and PS2 are actually the main userbase of the Wii, while Sony's strategic shift to market the PS3 as a high-end machine -- and M$'s aggressive strategy of acquiring cross-platform titles that were previously exclusive to Sony -- has split the hardcore base.

It is actually like this. I saw some numbers a while ago which showed that a big majority of the PS2 owners went to Wii. I'm not sure anymore though which console came second and third there. It did surprise me though since I thought that most PS2 owners would go to the PS3 automatically. Or at least a very big part. Even despite the price then.

A vast majority of PS2's were given to young children and teens as gifts for X-mas. Try to find a non-gaming parent who is going to buy their kid a 360 or PS3 over the Wii. The mainstream media, who knows nothing about games, is always praising the Wii as "the best gaming system", and uneducated parent buy right into it. Simple enough, in the land of the Sheeple, have enough TV time and people will believe anything. Its worked wonders for Obama.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 25, 2008 21:33
The PS2 was relatively inexpensive, looked nice enough for the average joe to get behind it, and had an absolutely massive amount of third party software support.

There's simply nothing comparable this generation.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 26, 2008 01:54

The PS2 was relatively inexpensive, looked nice enough for the average joe to get behind it, and had an absolutely massive amount of third party software support.
It came out before the Xbox and had EA. That was enough to bring in the rednecks and blacks who thought videogames were nerdy prior to 3-D graphics.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 26, 2008 02:05
i dont think this is a sony/programmer's problem.. its pruely a hardware problem, the older games are not designed for this better screen.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Have Sony dropped the ball again or are programmers lazy? - Oct 26, 2008 03:41
Interesting point Cheif. Games became far more acessable in the last eight years than ever before, though I'd argue that it was everybody embracing them, not just blacks and rednecks.

I find it odd that when people try to compare markets, and they do so on a company by company level. Sony won't be playing the same game they were last gen, nor will Nintendo be playing the same hand they did this time in 2000. It's really not a cumulative market. Unless your sales last generation were so abyssmal that you can't afford to cover hardware development overhead, there's no reason you can't make a screaming comeback in the next generation, as best evidenced by Nintendo.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll