Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii fit RPG???
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 17, 2007 17:42
In a recent interview with IGN, Square-Enix have shown interest in the Wii' s new peripheral, Wii Fit:

Do you have interest in using the microphone or Wi-Fi in future DS titles?

Toriyama: We' re definitely interested in the multiplayer and local connection element. And we' d like to look into it for the future. We don' t know about the mic function so much because it might not be too convenient if you' re playing on the train. Right now we' re mostly interested in Wii Fit. We' re really intrigued by it.

Is there going to be a Final Fantasy-themed fitness game?

Toriyama: There are no actual plans to take Final Fantasy into the fitness genre, but that whole system and mechanism of using your weight and balance to control games is something we' re interested in incorporating into future RPG titles.

Source

Intriguing.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 17, 2007 22:26
Hey if developers can use this for something else other then Wiifit, I' m all for it. Developers like SE thinking outside the box because of this device shows exactly how Nintendo is shaking up the industry. Codename ' revolution' seems more and more fitting with every new thing Nintendo tries.

I realize the ' hardcore' crowd can' t see it but if SE can see the possibilities thats all that really matters to me.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 17, 2007 23:13
It' s interesting that developers are interested, even intrigued, in this for other genres than fitness based things. I didn' t expect this actually.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 17, 2007 23:31
Add wiimote+wiifitnes and a make a Matrix title!
DontPeeOnBilly

• Total Posts : 216
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 00:10
For all of Sony stealing Nintendo it sure seems like Nintendo' s peripherials are eerily similar to the Dreamcast' s and the Eyetoy peripherial made by Sony. I mean, Wii Fit is 100% Eyetoy: Kinetic.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 00:37

ORIGINAL: DontPeeOnBilly

For all of Sony stealing Nintendo it sure seems like Nintendo' s peripherials are eerily similar to the Dreamcast' s and the Eyetoy peripherial made by Sony. I mean, Wii Fit is 100% Eyetoy: Kinetic.

Your comments confuse and frighten me.

Dreamcast? How??

How is the Wii' s weight sensing peripheral similar to the Eyetoy?

Of course Wiifit and Eyetoy:Kinetic look similar, they' re the same basic kind of game. No one said Wiifit was the first workout game.

And who said Sony stole anything from the Wii??

Head...hurting....aarghhh.
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 17 Jul 07 16:38:48 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 00:58
Well Sega released a Cam for the Dreamcast that was similiar to the Eyetoy.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 03:38
So how much will the wii-fit footpad cost? Upwards of $50 I' m assuming considering a wii-mote is already $50 CAD. So, add that to a wii zapper, and a classic control that you must have to play many VC games and you have a console costing over $400 CAD........................
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 03:46
Exactly, as I' ve been saying: I HATE WII-PERIPHERALS!
Terrak

RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 07:43
Hmm the price, that something i forgot to consider. I guess the device and the game Wiifit for $50 is reasonable - though i agree the cost of the console is going up with every new thing Nintendo releases. AS for the Wii Zapper, i' m looking at the Brando Wii gun attachment, it looks heaps better -

http://wii.qj.net/Annie-get-your-Brando-Wii-Light-Gun/pg/49/aid/93311

Well if developers can create whole new gaming experiences with this and the Wiimote its more then worth it IMO.

Anyway i don' t think every game will require this thing largely due to it being a peripheral and not a standard controller, so it won' t be necessary, but it might be an option should you have one to add something to the game. Who knows? We' ll just have to see what new things developers will come up with in the next year won' t we.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 17 Jul 07 23:45:02 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 08:19
This is not suprising atall.

As Soon as i seen the thing at E3, i was thinking loads of different games that could take great advantage of it. I bet alot more developers are really curious to play with the thing..

Its better to have the option to buy additional Hardware than not to.
Its better for developers to have additional Hardware at hand than not to.

Especialy one that' s garuneteed to be in millions of homes by mid 2008 (lets face it, Wii Fit will sell loads, i bet it' s already got 10' s of thousand on pre-order from other non-game companies). Developers are definately going to take more advantage of this thing.

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 08:38
Why would anyone buy this? People bought wii because it was cheap and thought that it came with the ultimate controller. It makes no sense to spend so much money on more peripherals for a consoles that' s supposed to be cheaper. A consoles that won' t have any value in three years anyways.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 08:55
Lol cheap?? you think thats the main reason why wii sells soo much?

Was Ipods cheap compared to Portable CD players / Mini Disks? (a kind of bad but good example)

Wii sells and will sell alot more than it' s competitors for one reason.

It has a much Wider Appeal to a much wider audience.

PS3 and 360 can drop to a lower price and Wii will still increasingly sell alot more.

Wii Fit is simply a way of widening that potential market to crazy levels, now you' ll see contracts with TV stations (expect Wii fit sessions on Oprah ffps), Gyms, physical therapists ect, ect, ect. Moms, kids, dads even your dogs are gona want to get fit with Wii fit lol

This thing is going to be HUGE. and it' s gona take to Wii with it! Cant you see? lol
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 09:35
No I can' t see. Wiifit won' t be nearly as big as Guitar Hero, and that' s only meh. Do you honestly think Americans will get off their fat asses to excersise in front of a Wii? I don' t know about the Europeans but I know the Asians won' t put something that takes so much space to use in their homes. They might have it in the arcades but that' s it.

If the PS3 and 360 were priced the same as Wii, we wouldn' t be talking about wii right now. Wii is an interesting concept but it' s still old technology and is very limited by the fact that' s it' s still a gaming console regardless of how Nintendo dresses it up. It doesn' t have the super massive appeal you say it does.

You must be the only person in the world that thinks the Wii would outsell the PS3 if they were priced the same. By the way, the 360 still has a lead over Wii in terms of total sales.

You can' t even tell me what' s so special about the damn thing in the first place. Wii doesn' t meet a single expectation I had for the next nintendo console. People have only given me vague praises for it, followed by exaggerated claims. To me it just looks like a glorified GameCube with a nunchuck controller. How is that revolutionary? The cursive thing can' t even play CD' s, something the PS1 could do a billion years ago.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 18 Jul 07 1:42:28 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 09:49
i would love to buy a wii and be a proud owner of the wii60, Unfortunatly Nintendo so far didn' t give me good reasons to buy their console, i' d love to, i can get all the games but for god' s sake there is no game but zelda... i need more than that... I loved the trailer about mario galaxy that game rocks and it has nothing to do with mario sunshune, this one feels oddly as a true Mario ... still not enough two games?? ok Metroid ... but when you have a 360 with already so many fps on it , can the control REALLY and i mean REALLY make a totaly different AND AND AND a very enjoyable experience ?? SO what 3 games ?? should i pay 400$ (accessories + modchip) to just play 3 games?! ...

oooh i know i' ll Get a DS for fun quick games !! damn right PLUS with games like mario and the upcoming zelda , castlevania 2d (aaaah i love it love it) plus many more, it should give me a better deal and experience. DS i guess then
Evilkiller

RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 09:56
I don' t really think it' ll be that popular either. Look at EyeToy Kinetic - that game didn' t sell millions even though there was a lot of buzz around it because of EyeToy. The only way I can see that the Balance Board would do well if Nintendo would offer it at a price point of a normal game (Wii Fit included, of course) and even then I doubt it' ll sell that good.

But I think a Wii bundle with the Balance Board might be killer, though.

EDIT: Go and buy Zelda for the Gamecube!
< Message edited by Evilkiller -- 18 Jul 07 2:58:54 >
Terrak

RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 10:17
I have absolutely no doubts you will NEVER ever see the potential of the Wii platform regardless of whether or not fulfills on its promises. From every response you' ve given regarding the Wii you' ve given the same close minded response. You don' t see any potential in the concept, & most probably never will. Thats your choice and i respect that.

As for price how long do you reckon it will take for sony or microsoft to drop to Wii prices? Almost 2 years in and the 360 has not got a price drop (not yet anyway) and ps3 price drop is more like a clearance of old inventory before the US$600 80GB ps3 becomes the only version. Neither sony nor microsoft are making money of the console with microsoft who just announced a rather generous but very expensive warranty plan ($1 billion) and sony who had to cut another US$100 of the original ps3 SKU which already cost the company alot of money. Neither are selling at the rate the Wii (is which is making a profit). The only company that would truly benefit from a price drop is Nintendo but considering the fact they supposedly are still selling out up till now don' t need a price drop until demand slows. So Agent give me your best estimate on when we can see a 360 or ps3 at Wii' s price? 2 years 3 years. Forget that Nintendo can drop there price too in that time. You ignore too many facts to get to your conclusion.

The 360 has a lead over the Wii but how long will that last? The 360 sold 10 million in its first 12 months, but in the next 6 months it sold only just under 2 million.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26435

Can' t really say how many the Wii has sold but a figure of around 8 million wouldn' t be to far off the mark considering how well it seems to be doing in all regions. At this rate the Wii will over take the 360 within the next 6-8 months (very rough estimate there). The 360s lead is slowly but surely declining.

I won' t even try to change your mind on the Wii. Its obvious your mind is made up - thats your right. The Wii is not for ' everyone' & can' t cater to everyones needs, and thats just the way it is.

< Message edited by Terrak -- 18 Jul 07 2:40:36 >
Evilkiller

RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 10:25
Which is again where we have to see what happens this holiday. If Microsoft manages to win, they' ll most likely be able to stay up front till maybe the next holiday season. While, if Nintendo wins and therefore gets the biggest market share I doubt they' ll lose the majority of share for this generaion ever again.

As far as price discussion is concerned:

Just imagine that rumors about 360 price drops would come true. Then we' d suddenly have a 360 for 199$. That would be cheaper than Wii, wouldn' t it ;) ?

Though I think you are pretty right, that the Wii will always stay ahead as far as the price is concerned(or at least the majority of the time). Just wanted to point out this possibility.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 12:50

So Agent give me your best estimate on when we can see a 360 or ps3 at Wii' s price?

Arent they guessing that all the 360s will drop $50? If that happens I dont see too many people buying Wiiis unless they already have a 360/ps3.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Wii fit RPG??? - Jul 18, 2007 15:41
I don' t think many of you understand the true power of hype. Whether it come from the media, or through social networking, hype helps things sell.......a lot.

When the iPod came out, it was well known in tech circles, but it never really took off until the slick advertising campaign that followed the PC version release. All of a sudden everyone NEEDED an iPod. I knew tons of people who barely knew how to use mp3' s, let alone never used them for their computers prior to the iPod, saying how they needed one all of a sudden. Not to mention, mp3 players had been around for long before it, just not with as much storage capacity(though quite a bit cheaper as well). And don' t say it was because it was way easier to use. The iPod interface is nice, but it doesn' t let you sort it(it has to do it itself, for fear of letting people do what they want!) not to mention iTunes itself is a slow, basic media centre.

The same is happening with the Wii. Once you get enough people talking about something, others will think they should have one too. Add in the fact that Nintendo did a great job of making people feel unashamed that they have or play a Wii and the number of people talking about it grows. A lot of people don' t want to admit they play ps3 or 360 when in their offices or at get togethers for fear of sounding " nerdy" even though it is no more so than the Wii.

At work(I' m a chef at an upscale restaraunt), I talk to a lot of people, and so far, I have heard over 15 mentions of the Wii, many from women. Usually the conversation goes a bit like this " I was playing it" or " I heard from a friend" " that it is a lot of fun" . So I ask them what game, and its always Wii Sports. They proceed to say that they would like to have one, and that they might end up getting one. Or when I talk to anyone that isnt a gamer about video games, they always say they' ve heard a lot about the Wii and they would probably get it if they got a console. So you see, even though the Wii is no better a console, lots of people want one because they A) have heard from people its fun, B)it' s not considered a nerdy thing to have, which leads to C) they want to fit in with their social group.

Which leads me to what I have heard from Wii owners. They loved it at first, and still enjoy it from time to time when they have friends over, but have grown tired of Wii sports, and don' t really know what to play. Remember that a lot of people don' t like RPGs so the Wii' s best game(Zelda) is either already owned or off the list. I don' t ever hear this from 360 owners, and rarely hear it from ps3 owners.

I would also like to add that when I mention to these people(whilst sounding like a bit of a nerd) that the Wii is basically a jumped up gamecube, they never have any idea that it was the case. Most think it is nearly as powerful as a 360 or ps3, and when I ask why they don' t think about getting a ps3 or 360, they just mention price, never games, never performance or capabilities.

So, my findings from talking to many people that aren' t " hardcore" gamers, is that they first think of price, then what they have heard from friends/acquaintances, and third, what would seem " cooler" .

So, if you really think price isn' t a factor you are an imbecile. So if you think that hype isn' t a factor, you are ignorant. So if you think that Nintendo' s marketing it as a mainstream machine that isn' t for " nerdy gamers anymore" doesn' t change the way it sells, then you are shortsighted.

I realise this won' t change many fanboys opinions, but oh well.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message