Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 05:14
For you Ginj, A nice thread devoted to the fun of gaming, and some of the great consoles out there who have maybe past their limelight, but still remembered fondly in our hearts as true classics.
Not forgetting of course some current gen handhelds and consoles, but without the spec wars.

Please all your favourite games of past times, anything, just have fun.

So Well the Saturn, i' ll start with, way unappreciated in it' s time, i understand it faired worse of all in the US. I loved my saturn in the days and loved to defend it against all those who wouldn' t accept the machine for all it' s great games.

Home to some great games, some you may not agree with but i loved:
Guardian Heroes,
NiGHTS
Burning Rangers
Sonic Jam
Story of thor 2
Saturn Bomberman
Steep Slope Sliders
Sega Rally
Daytona (the original version that even with my switched saturn, i was unable to remove the huge boarders from the screen, PAL users should at least understand)
Capcom Vs. Series
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (fave entry into street fighter to date which I played Religiously)

Infact there are so many, that my mind is too full to pluck anymore from, weird...
Well on with the discussions.

Remember, have fun!
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 05:37
Saturn was the only system I didn' t own from Sega. I loved Dreamcast, PS2 has had a great lineup, PSP has some great games as well! I like them all! :)

DC Favorite Game - Soul Caliber
GCN Favorite Game - Eternal Darkness: Sanity' s Requiem
PS2 Favorite Game - This is hard, I loved The Bouncer and Metal Gear Solid 2/3 (I think MGS wins though).
PSP Favorite Game - Infected, a lot of people don' t like it, but I' m a zombie fanatic :)
Etc Favorite Game - Halo, Super Mario 64, and Poy Poy!
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 05:58
I mostly stopped playing video games between 1993 and 2000, so I missed the whole Saturn era. I did continue to read about games in that time. I finally got a Dreamcast in late 2000 about two months before they announced it was being discontinued! I couldn' t believe it. I was under the impression that it was a huge success, based on its launch day.

Anyway, after having been out of gaming for that long, it was amazingly fun to get into 3D gaming. The Dreamcast has to have been the most fun system I' ve ever played. My favorite game was Jet Set Radio, the sequel of which was definitely the deciding factor when I got an Xbox.
uumai

RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 06:15
You both missed out on saturn, I cannot believe it, i' d say that the saturn era, was the time i was most into games, since i have lost a lot of that interest, maybe games are just getting too..... i dunno.

The saturn definately had some classics, and you should both feel really bad for missing the games it provided.

As for the fave ps2 game alecrein, really it is Bouncer and the metal gear games. Ok metal i guess i can understand, though i' ve never enjoyed the games, but bouncer? Over games like ICO, and SotC? and all the other good games.
steptechdotnet

• Total Posts : 91
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 07:24
Yeah, the saturn rocked me hard,so did genesis & dreamcast. Sega games had that magical feeling that I don' t get in games anymore, the things that would let me pause the game & say, it can' t get any better than this. so here' s some of my favorite:
Saturn: radiant silvergun, DJ wars(import), nights, clockwork night 1 & 2, burning rangers, Astal, street fighter vs capcom, panzeer dragoon 1,2 & saga, virtual fighter, fighting vipers, fighters, mega mix, there' s alot more I can' t remember

Dreamcast: ecco the dolphin, jet grind radio, vanishing point, sonic adventure 1 & 2, space channel 5 1 & 2, rez(import), fighting vipers 2, code veronica & many, many more, shit I had so much fun with the dreamcast, I cried when they went under, when i played jet grind radio for the first time & put the harnest on my dolphin in ecco, it reminded me why I was such a sega fan boy to begin with, Ristar anyone?
uumai

RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 07:41
Aren' t sega just amazing?

I agree with you steptechdotnet, can' t believe i missed some of the titles you mentioned, i feel ashamed....

Ristar, yeah i remember that, and i know what your saying, those days the games, they were just better, they had a certain quality to them that i and it seems you dont find much at all these days, if ever.

It is sad as i loved sega to pieces...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 10:14
The Saturn was beyond Awesome !!! I still play mine frequently..
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 24, 2006 12:36
All of the Ecco the Dolphin games, and especially the DC one, were beautiful but very difficult.

I was particularly fascinated with Seaman, especially after reading an interview with the lead designer in which he stated that he hoped the game would annoy people. Seaman himself was a bit of a jerk.

I didn' t ever get Rez for DC, but I am actually still thinking about getting a PS2 solely for Rez.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 25, 2006 03:36
What a nice thread

Here are some of my memories from those consoles

Some things about my Saturn:
-It took ages before I got a memory card, I saved everything on the built in memory. One day the battery died and all the saves where somehow erased. A sad day indeed.
-There was only two people in my whole school who owned the Saturn. I was one of those two.
-When I wanted to buy my Saturn the guy who owned the shop said
" Are you sure you want that one? The other one is much better" , as he pointed at the PS1. " Nobody wants the other one"
" No, I want the black one, it' s made by Sega" I replied.
" Suit yourself kid, don' t blame me if you get disappointed"
I bought it and I wasn' t disappointed!

Some things about the Dreamcast:
-I played the minigames on the VMU' s alot. It' s too bad the idea wasn' t used more than it was.
-Virtua Fighter 3tb with arcade stick, The House of The Dead 2 with light-gun, Daytona USA with racing wheel, that fishing game (always forget the name ) with that fishing rod, Crazy Taxi. The DC was like having an arcade at home.
-I saw Half-life DC for sale in a store despite some people claiming it was never released. What the hell does that mean?
-HeadHunter made by Swedish developer Amuze was really great. Play it!
-Shenmue

Some things about the GCN:
-Nothing has impressed me as much as the GCN controller when it comes to ergonomic design. It was simply fantastic and still is the no1 analog equipped controller to me.
-You can' t live through a generation of consoles without playing Nintendo' s first party titles. If you haven' t played Metroid Prime, Super Smash bros, Zelda Windwaker, F-Zero GX and all the other games, then you haven' t really experienced the past gen.
-GameBoy connectivity: Makes me angry . I hate it when some games feel less interesting because you don' t have a GBA. I didn' t have one and as such I felt I was missing out on stuff in games like Windwaker, Final Fantasy CC, and Splinter Cell.

Some things about the PS2:
-I never owned one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However, I played my friend' s PS2' s (leeched) so much that I covered the console anyway
-I' ll never forget the MGS2 demo. One of those games that actually are jawdropping.
-I hoped they would change the d-pad but they didn' t. F***!
-The PS2 OS (menus and stuff at start up), wtf was up with that? It made no sence at all!
-I was disappointed that they removed that cool chime from PS1, you know the beeeeeeeeeeooooowwww,beeeoowwww and that cool orange/yellow twisted logo followed by the mysterious japanese sounds. That' s what I loved the most with the PS1 .

Some things about the PSP:
-I was so sure I would hate the PSP and love the DS. But then I actually got a PSP instead of a DS (why I don' t know ).
-The PSP pleasently surprised me, the games were awesome and there were tons of them that I liked!
-I have two dead pixels. Took me a week before I noticed them.
-Without the wristwrap my PSP would be no more
-The speakers are pointing down. Who the hell has ears on the knees?

Some things about the Xbox (yeah I' ll mention that too)
-You didn' t have to buy any damn memory cards to save your game. Halleluja!!!!
-My friend and I got really pissed when we found out you couldn' t play DVD' s without the remote.
-When I played the XBox for the first time I used the small controller but I thought it was the big one, " my God, this controller sure is too big" .
You have no idea how freaked out I was when I later got to play with the real big controller. I thought it was a joke.

Ah, the memories

< Message edited by ginjirou -- 24 Oct 06 19:40:35 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: A thread for all those who like Saturn, DC, GCN, PS2 and PSP etc - Oct 25, 2006 05:25
I was worried when I saw the topic name, but this thread completely surpases the Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo stuff. It' s older than the 3D0 by now. Oooohhhh!!! 3D0 got burned!!!

I got a PS2 in 2003, but had been in a line at launch, and played most of the AAA games, so it was really familiar to me. My favorite titles were Jak & Daxter, and Okage: Shadow King.
That game was awesome.

I wasn' t much of a Sega fan, so I never had a saturn. I finally got a Dreamcast, and I was hooked on that for a while, & sold it for PS2 cash. Silly, silly me.

I just purchased a new one from Ebay, and I was shocked. The guy I got it from kept it in terrible condition. For one, he was a smoker, so tobbacco grime was piling up against the plastic raised parts on the VMU ports. His cables were so corroded they wouldn' t fit into the port, and when I opened up the case, I shook out something like 3 or 4 dismembered bugs. It was not sexy at all.

I don' t have a PSP, but I' d like one. I just don' t want one bad enough to warrant the hundred and whatever purchase to get one.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll