Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What is it with Camera angles in games
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
What is it with Camera angles in games - May 27, 2007 09:22
Just been playing the demo of Pirates and the only thing I can say is, why are game devs putting in crappy camera controls? I personally thought the game wasn' t too bad, not stunning on the graphics front but gameplay wise, it was fun, until you start to play around with the camera, there is no such problem with the Wii version (which graphically is on a par with the 360 version when you take the dirfferences into consideration.) There was also the same thing with Spiderman3 it almost gave you motion sickness, are Devs trying to experiment or is this really the way they want to go?
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: What is it with Camera angles in games - May 27, 2007 11:42
I think a lot of the time the camera controls are an afterthought in game development. I' ve played many games where the camera controls were so poor it made me want to turn the game off in disgust.

It' s probably a little bit of experimentation too but I really hate it when they experiment a little too much with features such as motion blur. R6 Vegas comes to mind here. The game is great but bloody hell the camera in that makes me feel like I' m tripping on acid or something - especially when flying in the chopper on the way to missions. I don' t get motion sick from games but I' d hate to think what would happen to people who did and tried to play Vegas. Motion blur != " next gen" . Subtle use is great but some games take it to extremes.

I' m looking forward to see what the guys at Silicon Knights do with the camera in Too Human. It seems like they' re putting a lot of effort into it. It certainly is risky taking the camera controls away from the player but if done right I think they might nail something really cool.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll