Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely)
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 04:43
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 04:50
thats 70 hours of gameplay on one disc, thats super!
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 04:58
Thats good, not that changing the disc would have been a problem, the game uses 100% ingame right? no cg?

Although this thread is just asking for the whole blu-ray vs dvd argument. But it' s amazing really just how much they can squeeze on a single disc these days...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 05:09
Microsoft has some of the best compressions arthrograms in the world.

What' s that UE3.0 based XBLA game called? The one with the robots?
Dead Saint

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 05:12
RoboBlitz
Nitro

RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 05:36

ORIGINAL: Dead Saint

RoboBlitz

That' s the one. It' s only 50MB right?
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 05:51
Yeah, its like 49.7MBs or 49.3MBs.

I' m shocked they were able to put that game on one disk. The sense that games will start to be on 2 disks is always looming and its going to hit one day...
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 05:59
Glad to know that when I get it I won' t have to use multiple discs.

Does compressing data such a large amount slow down loading or take longer for the system to access files? I' m not an expert at this stuff, so if someone like Eddie could answer that would be great.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 06:08

arthrograms

Surely you mean algorythams?

It is dependant on the algorytham used to compress the data, but if there is a slowness in querying the data then it will be negligable.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 07:29
i guess the interesting thing is, while they say this game just barely fits on a dl dvd. I wonder how much of the space is bonus conect and not actual game data. also can you imagine in years to come when things like blu-ray or whatever are at the same stage, without dummy files and cg, compressed as usual... they will be some huge ass or amazing looking games,
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 07:39

ORIGINAL: Avarice

Glad to know that when I get it I won' t have to use multiple discs.

Does compressing data such a large amount slow down loading or take longer for the system to access files? I' m not an expert at this stuff, so if someone like Eddie could answer that would be great.

I think it really depends. Nowdays I think compression is done well enough to the point that it helps game loading times, rather than hinder them. A compressed file can be processed faster because it' s smaller than the raw file. You' re less likely to saturate the available bandwidth with smaller files.

Like I' ve said before, Nintendo had some amazingly good compression techniques for their GC discs. I found that load times for most of the GC games I played were less than other consoles.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 09:54
Although I have absolutely no interest in this game, I am wondering how long the loading times will be since it probably has to decompress.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 12:14

whole blu-ray vs dvd argument.

Lair had to have data copied throughout the disc so that the Blu-Ray reader could pick up the data faster And that' s what all the extra space on a Blu-Ray is for lol.

algorythams

algorithms - Use Firefox, it' s got built in Spellcheck (which I never expected and love lol)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 16:53

arthrograms

An arthrogram is an X-ray of a joint after injection of a contrast medium. The injection is normally done under a local anesthetic. An arthrogram can be performed similarly to an MRI scan; as such, the patient can be scanned from many angles at once and the consultant/radiologist can assess the images produced by the scan in real time.

The contrast medium used during an MRa scan may vary among hospitals, but iodine is generally used.

Purpose/Description/Indications: Radiography to visualize the soft tissue structures of a joint or joints (menisci, ligaments, articular cartilage, bursae). The contrast study can be done on any encapsuled joint; however, the knee is the most frequent site of investigation. Arthrogram examinations are usually done with a local anesthetic. The injection is made under careful aseptic conditions in combination with fluoroscopic-radiographic examining room, which should be carefully prepared in advanced.

Contraindications/Risks: Contraindications are patients who are allergic to or sensitive to medications, contrast dyes, local anesthesia, iodine, shellfish, or latex. Potential risks are infections at the puncture site where the radiopaque substance and/or air are injected.

Contrast: For pneumoarthrography, a gaseous medium is used, for opaque arthrography a water-soluble iodinated medium is used and a combination of both is used in double-contrast arthrography.

Patient Prep/Patient Position: The patient is asked to remove any clothing, jewelry, or other objects that may interfere with the area of interest. The area around the joint is scrubbed with an anti-bacterial soap and covered with sterile drapes, usually leaving a small space for the injections.

Equipment/Types of Images: The exam is done under the fluoroscope to guide the needle into the correct place in the joint.

Findings: Shoulder arthrography can be used to study tears of the rotator cuff. The procedure can also define subtle abnormalities of the bicipital tendon and sheath, and can demonstrate the nature of periarticular soft tissue masses. Alternative Exams: MRI allows a noninvasive imaging technique to evaluate joints.

Nitro

RE: Mass Effect fits on one DVD (barely) - Mar 01, 2007 16:58
Arthrogram, algorithm, ...same thing

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages