Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox live accounts getting hacked.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 22, 2007 22:10
Anyone come across this problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6477155.stm

Not sure if the guy this is about is trying to make a quick buck, but it is something that might be worrying.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 23, 2007 04:25
It can only happen if they hack your computer and get your credit card number. I know of a guy who did it to people on Halo 2 XBL. Really its your own fault for not having a firewall and having important info on your computer.
alijay034

RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 23, 2007 05:48
Apparently there are ways of getting round even having to do this, if you have a small amount of knowledge of the account by calling into XBL support you can glean more and more knowledge, the guy Kevin Finisterre, has a site which has details on this, whether he is talking bollocks(which is very possibly true.) He claims this is the way these hackers are doing it.

This is the site.

http://www.digitalmunition.com/StolenUpdate.aspx
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 00:22
...expect the hacks to become more sophisticated and frequent....
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 03:45

It can only happen if they hack your computer and get your credit card number. I know of a guy who did it to people on Halo 2 XBL. Really its your own fault for not having a firewall and having important info on your computer.

Not true, there are other methods. I won' t go into details ofc, as I don' t condone the malicious hacking of anything but rest assured, it is possible. I know somebody who has over 5 years of Gold, but the nice Xbox support couldn' t confirm that it was stolen, so nothing got done.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 04:27
Ah, now this is why i use pre-paid cards for XBL. I' ve never had money stolen but i' m also not willing to risk it. The only time i use my card online if ordering from paces like play.com, ...but then i guess i don' t know how secure that data is either...

the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 07:07
hmm... that real hard, nothing isn' t safe.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 07:39
I didnt know of other ways, thanks for informing me guys, but Ive spent too much on XBL market place and will be taking off my credit card anyway and going to prepaid cards to ensure I dont go on another spending spree (4 arcade games: Doom, Small Arms, Spades, and Castlevania, an entire season of Jericho)
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 24, 2007 09:34

hmm... that real hard, nothing isn' t safe.

Nothing is safe, you mean?
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 27, 2007 18:47

btw, immortal, you from America?

Just asking, ' cause that statement really sounded like a U.S citizens way of thinking.

So if I have a bad lock on my apartment, is it my fault if I have a brak in?

Or if a girl is wearing a short skirt, is it her fault if she gets raped?

Or if I do not carry a gun when taking a walk at night, is it my fault if I get mugged?

I' m not ridiculing you, just that I cannot agree that it' s peoples fault, for the crimes of another, and the lack of security provided by Microsoft. But people would ' no' by now, Microsoft products are rarely the safests choices, in terms of security.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 27 Mar 07 11:51:45 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 27, 2007 18:52

btw, immortal, you from America?

Just asking, ' cause that statement really sounded like a U.S citizens way of thinking.

Yeah, I reacted to that statement as well and it does sound American. Or like something an immature teenager would say. Americans, immature teenagers, same shit different name
No offense to you smart yankies out there
mastachefbkw

RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 05:34
Just what exactly does a credit card being stolen over a computer have in common with a girl getting raped for wearing a mini skirt?
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 05:58

Just what exactly does a credit card being stolen over a computer have in common with a girl getting raped for wearing a mini skirt?

Everything and nothing..............................
mastachefbkw

RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 06:02
It all makes sense now
alijay034

RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 06:26
Dionysis your comments make for a very bad arguement. People are aware of the threat of being hacked and can take measures to prevent it, however a rapist is going to rape someone regardless, same with a burglar or a mugger, a hacker will try and hack a machine that has ports open, think of it as leaving your front door open with a sign listing all your valubles and where they are kept. If you leave a port open on a PC a hacker will exploit it, a rapist will rape no matter what a person is wearing.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 06:36

ust asking, ' cause that statement really sounded like a U.S citizens way of thinking.

Yeah, I reacted to that statement as well and it does sound American. Or like something an immature teenager would say. Americans, immature teenagers, same shit different name
No offense to you smart yankies out there

I' ve been thinking about this point of view for a day or so, and I have to take exception to it. This attitude, " it' s all your own damn fault" and " blame the victim," might be exclusive to Americans, but only to right wing, conservative Americans. But I think it extends beyond national identity and has something to do with unfettered capitalism and the drive for privatization via neoliberal economic policy. Then again perhaps there is a uniquely American right wing naivete which is related to the outlook that " if you' ve done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" -- a twisted logic that gnarls its way around to the absurd conclusion that if something bad happens to you, you deserved it -- something that only the most privileged and wealth-insulated people could possibly believe.

In short, I am processing an intellectual feedback loop of national, political and cultural identity. Whee!

And speaking of cultural identity, although it' s commonplace for Europeans to refer to all Americans as Yankees, Americans from the South consider this to be a rather derogatory term strictly referring to Americans from the North.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 09:51
" In short, I am processing an intellectual feedback loop of national, political and cultural identity. Whee!"

You look like a feedback loop.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 10:15
I look like this?!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 10:44

Dionysis your comments make for a very bad arguement. People are aware of the threat of being hacked and can take measures to prevent it, however a rapist is going to rape someone regardless, same with a burglar or a mugger, a hacker will try and hack a machine that has ports open, think of it as leaving your front door open with a sign listing all your valubles and where they are kept. If you leave a port open on a PC a hacker will exploit it, a rapist will rape no matter what a person is wearing.

I should be able too leave my door open and list all my values, without anybody doing anything else, but warn me that it might ba a bad idea.
Me being uncareful does not make it right for others to exploit me.

Also, about the rapist statement, I was merely using an old metaphor, that' s often usedregarding these kinds of issues.

BTW: Why do U know how rapists think?
< Message edited by dionysius -- 29 Mar 07 2:45:41 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Xbox live accounts getting hacked. - Mar 29, 2007 10:49
" I look like this?!"

Acually it' s this thing I do. I swear it gets funnier every time.

Whenever someone uses uncommon words or any noun for that matter. They' re subject to me doing the exact same thing I did with you. Saying they look like whatever word(s) they used. It' s never funny the first time, but the more times you try it with different words with the same people the better it gets. This is the first time I tried it online and you can expect me to do it more often here. It' s probably not as good as it is in person because it loses some of its spontaneity and I can' t express a tone of voice. Regardless I' m going to try it anyways.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 29 Mar 07 2:50:16 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread