Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Anybody here run Linux?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 02, 2007 03:38
I just installed Xubuntu for sh17s & giggles.

I' m liking it so far, although I' m relatively sure I' m going to throw a fit over compatibiility at some point in the near future.

My brother' s already disowned me as a mouthbreathing linux-f@g, I' m interested to see if anybody here is running, or has run it in the past.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 02, 2007 08:30
I' ve done it a few times. One thing I' ve discovered is that Linux requires a lot of patience. It' s fine if you want to do basic things but once you start to get into more advanced things it' s quite involved.

Main reason I don' t use it is because of games. A PC without games is like heresy in my opinion. (Yeah, I know a dozen linux people are probably going to say " but you can with virtual machine software blah blah" . Fact is VM ware is highly inefficient and if you want to play games properly, it doesn' t cut it.)
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 02, 2007 09:32
make sure u install beryl.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 02, 2007 16:30
Yes I run a dual boot system with Vista and Ubuntu
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 2 Nov 07 12:13:29 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 03:25
Really? Excellent. Expect a PM or two from me.

I killed Xubuntu & threw on XP BlackMarket. The OS made me feel like a disgruntled geriatric. I had no clue where anything was, & it had massive issues (like not recognising any of my drives). I' m considering dual-booting with Ubuntu if I can nab a spare hard-drive.

Main reason I don' t use it is because of games. A PC without games is like heresy in my opinion. (Yeah, I know a dozen linux people are probably going to say " but you can with virtual machine software blah blah" . Fact is VM ware is highly inefficient and if you want to play games properly, it doesn' t cut it.)

If I was doing this on a PC worth gaming on, I' d probably agree with you. All this is being done on my secondary, & to be honest I' m doing it more out of curiosity than anything. I' ve always been interested in Linux, I just never really had the time or the patience to try it.

make sure u install beryl

Was ist das?
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 2 Nov 07 19:26:16 >
alijay034

RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 03:51
A few issues, I have been having are with drivers for various things, also for the opengl python bindings, however seeing as I am using for to brush up on skills, I am not too worried.
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 06:39
Yeah the driver issue can be annoying. However, if you know how to code then you should have no problems finding the build for your drivers and program Linux to direct itself to use those drivers. Ubuntu really is the best way to go for Desktop performance if you' re not running a server.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 07:29
do some youtube searches for beryl and you can see the cool stuff it can do, it is a 1337 interface.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 17:08
If you use Linux you get laid as often as you have to reboot your computer
alijay034

RE: Anybody here run Linux? - Nov 03, 2007 18:23
Immortal, that might be true for the young ' uns on here, but count me out I am married and.....no wait your right.....

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll