Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 29, 2007 20:51
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 29, 2007 21:35
Halo 3.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 00:15
why are Ms in this business at all esp since they cannot make a profit. Since they have such deep pockets you think they would build a superior machine that nothing could touch it, instead of making cheap hardware.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 00:39

why are Ms in this business at all esp since they cannot make a profit. Since they have such deep pockets you think they would build a superior machine that nothing could touch it, instead of making cheap hardware.

I think Majik nailed it on the head the other day when he said MS went into the console business to take a bite out of Sony. Sony has been very successful in the past especially with the gaming market. They were making enough money to possibly expand in some of th same markets as MS.

I never thought of it that way untill Majik said it but it makes a lot of sense.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 29 Oct 07 18:04:57 >
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 00:56
That has been said from time. Everyone knew that but you.

Halo 3.

Funny how, even with it' s Killer App, 360 barely managed to sell more than the wii with no games.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 01:50

Funny how, even with it' s Killer App, 360 barely managed to sell more than the wii with no games.

The Wii userbase are easily tricked by commercials!
Agent Ghost

RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 02:09

That has been said from time. Everyone knew that but you.

I knew MS was going after Sony' s marketshare, but I looked at it as an offensive move as opposed to a defensive one.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 02:33

I think Majik nailed it on the head the other day when he said MS went into the console business to take a bite out of Sony. Sony has been very successful in the past especially with the gaming market. They were making enough money to possibly expand in some of th same markets as MS.

Why would Ms care? they were not in direct competition [back then] Ms got the majority of its money from Windows. Windows is not going away, I cant imagine in 20 years pc' s arent running some sort of windows.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 29 Oct 07 18:34:24 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 02:43
But if Sony would tap too much into the game market it could' ve lead to making Windows as a gaming plattform becoming obsolete. And when that happened it would' ve made Windows itself obsolete, because, after all, the big game library is still the biggest advantage Windows has got.
Teardrop

• Total Posts : 47
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 03:50
and nintendo has been making a profit on every wii sold since launch.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 04:05

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

I never thought of it that way untill Majik said it but it makes a lot of sense.

Yeah well, gamer4eva hasn' t been here long enough to know who Majik is has he?

Nitro

RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 04:11

ORIGINAL: Teardrop

and nintendo has been making a profit on every wii sold since launch.

100% true, ...but Nintendo are the only company making any real profit on Wii and so it' s not all good is it!?

The thing is, i doubt Nintendo give a fukk about 3rd party success on their machine. If Wii starts to lag then they can just stop supporting it and do something new, because they know now that they can sustain themselves with their own software and minimal 3rd party support.

There will be big 3rd party success stories, and i think companies like EA and Square-Enix will do really well, ...but i' m still not convinced the console will make the whole 5 year life cycle.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 05:19
So long as Wii' s are selling (especially at this this rate) , the Wii will remain.

All Nintendo need to do is make a few catchy, Original ' Casual' games a year to keep the casual waiting in line, fill the gap with a few Killer Titles for the Hardcore and thats the Wii sorted for years. This may sound easy but when you think that no developer has not even made a better casual game than Wii sports, you have to respect Nintendo for creating something that looks soo simple but is actually Hard to re-create.

3rd Parties

Generally, If 3rd parties make good games, they will sell (look at the Resident Evil 4 for a Good alternative HC game, look at Raymond, Trauma Center for a good alternative casual game). 3rd parties Need to make good games and come up with idea' s that Nintendo have not covered. For Wii They need to think of better, effective ideas that can catch the mass or Hardcore just as good or better than Nintendo can. As Iwata already stated along the lines of:

" 3rd Parties need to think up ideas that we have not" ..

" Wii is a tool for Developers to show how good they are as videogame developers"

3rd Developers Need to stop being Pussies and actually bring their first teams to try and out-do Nintendo on their own machine. Capcom done this With RE4 on Gamecube, they went for it, Went specifically to make a game that' ll kill everything Nintendo made on the GC previously. This is the Mentality 3rd Parties need to gain any success on Wii.

PSP ports, just won' t cut it.
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 29 Oct 07 21:32:10 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 05:31
I' ve always held the impression MS were bothered about Sony because PC and console markets are slowly becoming one in the same (apart from Ninty of course). I wouldn' t be surprised if the next XBox ran Vista.
Nitro

RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 06:05

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

So long as Wii' s are selling (especially at this this rate) , the Wii will remain.

All Nintendo need to do is make a few catchy, Original ' Casual' games a year to keep the casual waiting in line, fill the gap with a few Killer Titles for the Hardcore and thats the Wii sorted for years. This may sound easy but when you think that no developer has not even made a better casual game than Wii sports, you have to respect Nintendo for creating something that looks soo simple but is actually Hard to re-create.

3rd Parties

Generally, If 3rd parties make good games, they will sell (look at the Resident Evil 4 for a Good alternative Hanything releasing on Wii in NC game, look at Raymond, Trauma Center for a good alternative casual game). 3rd parties Need to make good games and come up with idea' s that Nintendo have not covered. For Wii They need to think of better, effective ideas that can catch the mass or Hardcore just as good or better than Nintendo can. As Iwata already stated along the lines of:

" 3rd Parties need to think up ideas that we have not" ..

" Wii is a tool for Developers to show how good they are as videogame developers"

3rd Developers Need to stop being Pussies and actually bring their first teams to try and out-do Nintendo on their own machine. Capcom done this With RE4 on Gamecube, they went for it, Went specifically to make a game that' ll kill everything Nintendo made on the GC previously. This is the Mentality 3rd Parties need to gain any success on Wii.

PSP ports, just won' t cut it.

Bingo.

But then you have the issue of tie ratios - which in most cases (save for things like Dragon Quest) makes 360 the more viable platform. It' ll take serious success from more than a handful of notable studios to make the publishers take note. EA already has and Playground, as much as i hate to say it, will sell by the bucketload. That' s good for Nintendo, and for Wii, but it' s not good for me because it' s another Ware-esque title and i want more traditional games.

RE4 on Gamecube is a good example, but i' m pretty sure it was outsold by the PS2 port by a mutiple factor. You can' t read too much into that though because the install bases were vastly different and the main point is that one of the biggest 3rd party developers/publishers signed into an exclusive deal for multiple games, the most successful of which turned out to be to arguably the best game on the platform.

But i never understood the RE deal fully. It didn' t extend to total RE exclusivity because the awful Survivor games and the half assed Outbreak games were released on PS2. Then there was the lame RE2 and 3 ports for the Gamecube which were more than likely something to do with lacklustre sales of REmake and Zero. Maybe, just maybe, Capcom will take another shot at RE2 using the same engine and stylings as the Remake. Now that would be badass! But i' m rambling...

Wii has some cool 3rd party software coming, but we' re a year in now and the software lineup is still very weak. Like on DS, the best games are Nintendo' s own and that' s something Iwata touched on while ago saying that he realizes that 3rd parties would like to control 2/3rds of the software market for the platform and that currently Nintendo control 2/3rds. It' ll change, but not quite yet - Galaxy' s less than 3 weeks away for fukks sake and it' s going to kill everything sales-wise, at least on Wii, if not in general.

Agent Ghost

RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 06:09

Yeah well, gamer4eva hasn' t been here long enough to know who Majik is has he?

I don' t care about him. Or would you rather I refer to you as Nitro?

EDIT: typo
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 29 Oct 07 23:28:13 >
Nitro

RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 06:15

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Or would you rather I refer to you has Nitro?

Nah, ...i' ve always liked Majik. I should change it back really.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 06:26

Bingo.

But then you have the issue of tie ratios - which in most cases (save for things like Dragon Quest) makes 360 the more viable platform. It' ll take serious success from more than a handful of notable studios to make the publishers take note. EA already has and Playground, as much as i hate to say it, will sell by the bucketload. That' s good for Nintendo, and for Wii, but it' s not good for me because it' s another Ware-esque title and i want more traditional games.

RE4 on Gamecube is a good example, but i' m pretty sure it was outsold by the PS2 port by a mutiple factor. You can' t read too much into that though because the install bases were vastly different and the main point is that one of the biggest 3rd party developers/publishers signed into an exclusive deal for multiple games, the most successful of which turned out to be to arguably the best game on the platform.

But i never understood the RE deal fully. It didn' t extend to total RE exclusivity because the awful Survivor games and the half assed Outbreak games were released on PS2. Then there was the lame RE2 and 3 ports for the Gamecube which were more than likely something to do with lacklustre sales of REmake and Zero. Maybe, just maybe, Capcom will take another shot at RE2 using the same engine and stylings as the Remake. Now that would be badass! But i' m rambling...

Wii has some cool 3rd party software coming, but we' re a year in now and the software lineup is still very weak. Like on DS, the best games are Nintendo' s own and that' s something Iwata touched on while ago saying that he realizes that 3rd parties would like to control 2/3rds of the software market for the platform and that currently Nintendo control 2/3rds. It' ll change, but not quite yet - Galaxy' s less than 3 weeks away for fukks sake and it' s going to kill everything sales-wise, at least on Wii, if not in general.

Yes, i agree, totally.

It does seem that too few HC games are on Wii but then again.. this is why i own a PC, PS3 and 360 for.
Teardrop

• Total Posts : 47
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 17:56

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Bingo.

Yes, i agree, totally.

It does seem that too few HC games are on Wii but then again.. this is why i own a PC, PS3 and 360 for.

im not sure i fully understand what the fat hairy kid in the sonic tshirt is talking about. can somebody please explain it to me? is nintendo winning or not?
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: M$ Xbox division makes a profit!!! - Oct 30, 2007 20:58

ORIGINAL: Teardrop

im not sure i fully understand what the fat hairy kid in the sonic tshirt is talking about. can somebody please explain it to me? is nintendo winning or not?

You' re not making very many friends here right now. Nearly all of your posts so far have been rather pointless and taking pot shots at one of the most senior members of this forum is not going to get you very far.

As for Nintendo winning or not, read his post again. If you can' t understand that, read it again. If not, then I' ll sum it up for you.

Nintendo has sold a lot of Wii' s but that' s about it. This is due to the fact that the system is cheap and accessible to many. There are very few good games for it at the moment and their 3rd party support (extremely important to console success) is trash. 1st party support (Nintendo' s games) is fine but they need 3rd party support if they' re to get out of the same rut the GC ended up in. Their software tie ratio could be better and studies have shown that even in Japan, not many people are playing their Wii' s anymore because there' s nothing to play that' s new (and good). Software is what really means success to a console, not simply " X" number of consoles sold.

edit: This is just a summary. There are many other factors but writing them all out is something that I couldn' t be bothered doing and it' s been discussed a billion times before in this forum alone. If you need more info, just search " Wii" in the forums and you should strike further detail.
< Message edited by unluckyone -- 30 Oct 07 13:07:13 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread