Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Lost Planet single player demo
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
jars

• Total Posts : 148
Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 03:03
I always assumed this game was 60fps. I never heard anyone in any forum or website mention that it was 30fps. But when i downloaded the single player demo i found it to be 30fps! But WHY??? i had such high expectations for this game! How can a Japanese developer make a 30fps game! (ok they do for some genres), but not THIS please! I thought this would be the game that quenches my 60fps thirst, while GOW would be the game that quenches my (normal mapping) thirst. :P
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 03:30
60 fps is overrated!
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 03:38

I always assumed this game was 60fps. I never heard anyone in any forum or website mention that it was 30fps. But when i downloaded the single player demo i found it to be 30fps! But WHY??? i had such high expectations for this game! How can a Japanese developer make a 30fps game! (ok they do for some genres), but not THIS please! I thought this would be the game that quenches my 60fps thirst, while GOW would be the game that quenches my (normal mapping) thirst. :P

Capcom might aswell, your average 360 owner dosnt care about playing most of their games at 30fps..
So long as it looks good in screenshots.

60 fps is ownage
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 04:02
Gears uses way more bump mapping than normal mapping, ...and i' d rather play a game locked at 30fps than one that' s supposedly 60 (like say Moto GP 06 or MotorStorm) yet suffers visible drops.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 04:09
....noooooooooo!!!....

...when did they change to 30ps??? .....

...is that why a lot of people have started trashing it lately??..
f3hunter

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 04:24

MotorStorm

That runs at 30.

Nitro

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 04:29

ORIGINAL: f3hunter

MotorStorm

That runs at 30.

Really? And it still has an unsteady framerate? So doesn' t that mean it actually sucks then? Or does 60fps not matter if the game is on PS3?
jars

• Total Posts : 148
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 15, 2006 22:25

Gears uses way more bump mapping than normal mapping, ...

How can you tell the difference between something bump mapped and something normal mapped?
< Message edited by jars -- 15 Dec 06 14:40:44 >
Nitro

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 00:38

ORIGINAL: jars

Gears uses way more bump mapping than normal mapping, ...

How can you tell the difference between something bump mapped and something normal mapped?

Normal mapping is a kind of bump mapping, ....it comes under the same banner per say but isn' t identical. Real bump mapping uses height maps and vector points on which light reacts accordingly. They look more 3D if you liken as the lighting changes on the surface of the model as the camera moves around it.

Normal mapping works in a similar way but is a more commonly used, cheaper method of achieving comparatively impressive results but light reacts to it in a less realistic fashion. Gears, and UE3.0 in general uses normal mapping but uses more dump mapping in the form of directional light mapping. The light sources are pre-computed and actually stored within the texture maps as it allows high performance lighting with a minimal performance hit.

When 360 games start using more parallax mapping then things will look even better.
f3hunter

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:21
This map, that map.. Meh..
Fuck overly detailed Textures, They are overrated, especially when they affect the frame rate

I showed a few friends from work (all own 360s).. GOW on my Marquee Projector.. Their reaction was something like.. " Dam, that looks alot better than our LCDs" both had very excited looks on their faces as they played GOW on a 150" Razor sharp, Super high contrast image.. (not showing off, but thats how a 13k projector Marquee image looks)

After about an hour of GOW play..

I asked if they' d seen Pc games running on decent pc before? Being console fanatics the both claimed they hadn’t and actually neither looked bothered and actually asked me to keep GOW on.

I told them hold on a seceond as I switched on my PC (which is also integrated with my marquee setup, so no need to change any wires)

The desktop come on, and they was like:

" Holy shit!!!!!!! that looks crystal clear"

" what resolution is that running on?"

Then while laughing to myself i put HL2 on.. And waited for the still screen to turn into life.. (this is the way HL2 loads).

This part:

As soon as it kicked in, both of their mouths dropped to the floor,

" that looks unbelievable, them flying things look like they are right infront of me" .. and that was just to a few tracers hovering about.

I started the game from the first level (the train station)..

lol..the look on thier faces said it all.. Just silent ' AWW' , engulfed eyes constantly at the screen..

Then the words that did come out of their mouths was

" i seriosuly cant unbelievable it"

" i feel like im there" "

" WTF?????"

" But how can this look this good, when 360 has a better Graphics card?"

" So this is what PC gamers have been playing all this time?"

And the one what made me show them more PC games.....

" shit, there’s me thinking GOW had the best graphics"

I was like.. No!!, most of my PC games run like this..

Showed them, Far Cry, Prey, Quake 4.. All totally blew them away.. both wanted me to build them a PC like mine, both felt cheated into thinking that 360 onwed Pc.

Why??

High contrast and constant 60fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, ive lost count how many 360/ex360 owners ive brought back down to earth by showing them my PC in action.. Even with the older PC games..

So long as games are well anti aliased, have decent textures, have nice lightening, at high contrast. The constant 60fps+ you cant f**k with..

(and please 360 fans, dont start posting high res pictures of GOW for the love of god)

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 15 Dec 06 19:32:22 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:33
So er... How much was all of that PC gear/150" Razor sharp, Super high contrast screen..?
Nitro

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:33
Hahaha, you' re long winded nub posts about your HD projector never cease to amuse me. Seriously dude, you need to fuck off to NeoGAF where they all have lavish set-ups because nobody here gives a damn. You go on and on and on and on about CONSTANT 60FPS!!!! and the only console game other than VF5 that you feverently defend is MotorStorm - a game that you tell me runs at 30fps and still has framerate problems.
f3hunter

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:49
Tiz, your missing the point.

Ive compared 360 / Pc on my 42 LCD?? or my 15inch CRT monitor, the same inpact has happened..

As for Motorstorm, you missing the point again.. IVe Never rated it as a game, just its engine, its physics.. it has a true next gen physics system. nothing to do with its framerate..

60fps > 30fps, live with it, stop giving developers reasons to be lazy, no wonder graphics 360 development is so slow. Most of the owners too far stuck up their own nd M$' s arse to notice.

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 15 Dec 06 19:53:41 >
Bishonen

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:52
..pic aint working man...

....but your comments are interesting because i always thought PC fans were more or less the same as x360 fans....

...anyway, there has been a LOT posted recently about the 360' s cheap build quality, parts and general unreliability as a physical product... ...so i would guess that this is probably why your PC pwans it? ....how does your Wii compare to your PC?, and what kind of results do you expect a PS3 to achieve?.....

I' ve always been a strong believer in the consumer maxim: " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" , so perhaps your expectations for your x360 are a little unfair...
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 15 Dec 06 19:54:42 >
f3hunter

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 03:57
The thing is Bishonen, edit--maybe it isnt more powerful-- after your ' cheap parts comment, actually makes more sense) ,

360 has potential but most of its Users/owners completly piss me off by giving developers even more reason to be lazy by wanking over nearly every 360 game screenshot that uses decent HDR texturing..

And when told that things can look better (and do on other platforms).. they go all totally defensive... Its like cutting off their own nose ETC.
< Message edited by f3hunter -- 15 Dec 06 20:05:08 >
Bishonen

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 04:31
...how does the Wii perform in comparison to your 360 and how do you expect the PS3 to perform?....

...i ask because although the Wii is the cheapest of the three, it' s using much simpler technology (no HD for example), so i imagine that Nintendo could cram it full of the best parts ect that are currently available...

...similarly, at around $600, i' d expect the PS3 to be a damm fine physical product in comparison to the $300 people are paying for the x360...

360 has potential but most of its Users/owners completely piss me off by giving developers even more reason to be lazy by wanking over nearly every 360 game screenshot that uses decent HDR texturing..

...im just wondering if x360 avoids 60fps because of some sort of technical limitation, ...there isn' t any sane reason to avoid it if you can achieve it...

Edit

...actually that' s a dumb thing to say cause of DOA4, Dead Rising & DOAX2... ...perhaps it' s just a case of developer preference then...

....or developer incompetence....

...btw, do you know if Resistance is in 60fps?....
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 15 Dec 06 20:59:29 >
Nitro

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 06:24
What' s HDR texturing?! ...or was that a lame joke???

Some developers are rushing games for release, ...others (Epic) are locking the framerate at 30 so they can go all out visually. It' s the same developers that in the previous generation managed to create stunning games and have them running at 60fps that will manage the same this generation. Just because there' s more power doesn' t mean all of a sudden developers will all start making 60fps games. Team Ninja will raise the bar again like they did with Ninja Gaiden, and they' ll probably do it with Ninja Gaiden 2. Nothing has really changed.

Resistance looks good and runs at 60fps but from all accounts it' s fallen short of expectations, although i' ll obviously reserve my judgement until i' ll played it myself. It looks nicer than the majority of 360 shooters but doesn' t come close to matching the visual fidelity of Gears of War or even Lost Planet.

As for Motorstorm, you missing the point again.. IVe Never rated it as a game, just its engine, its physics.. it has a true next gen physics system. nothing to do with its framerate..

So all of your stupid comments about technical gaps are about physics?! That' s retarded. You want impressive physics, ...AGEIA PhysX is all you need dude.

I' m curious about your projector though. I mean surely it has a maximum resolution. 720p? 1080p? Because you' re PC games and 360 games would display in the same resolution wouldn' t they? How would your PC games look sharper?

I running a Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram and a 7900 and even on maxiumum settings Lost Coast doesn' t look anywhere near as good as Gears of War. Do i need somthing special that enhances things past what can be achieved on maximum?! Which begs the question; why didn' t you show them Lost Coast, and why show them ugly as fuck games like Quake 4?!
Bishonen

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 07:45

Some developers are rushing games for release, ...others (Epic) are locking the framerate at 30 so they can go all out visually. It' s the same developers that in the previous generation managed to create stunning games and have them running at 60fps that will manage the same this generation. Just because there' s more power doesn' t mean all of a sudden developers will all start making 60fps games. Team Ninja will raise the bar again like they did with Ninja Gaiden, and they' ll probably do it with Ninja Gaiden 2. Nothing has really changed.

...yeah, but i think what he' s saying is:

" if those same devs can do all that high-brow lighting AND 60fps on titles for the PC, why can' t they achieve at least the same results on the supposedly superior x360?"

.....although when he says things like the 3 year old Half life 2 looking better than GOW i' m VERY sceptical......

...how about some working vids of your get up f3? ...or if you don' t have the tech, some links to vids of other killer PC rigs?....
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 15 Dec 06 23:46:24 >
Nitro

RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 08:16
Not only Half Life 2 [which does hold it' s own], but Far Cry and Quake 4?! Please, i' ll capture some screens of games that are on both 360 and PC running on my machine and we' ll see if they look as nice as Gears.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Lost Planet single player demo - Dec 16, 2006 08:34
You cant expect more from shitbox360
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages