Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Heavenly Sword.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 00:23
I am really debateing if I should get this game, but the whole 6 hour game for 60 quid [and little replay value] is tearing me up inside, cos I know I will finish it and thats that. I would wait untill its 30 quid but that will be more than a year...

Who else is getting this? when is the Warhawk bundle out in the uk? [edit: thats next week]
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 13 Sep 07 16:25:15 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 00:39
PM' d.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 00:54
I am pretty sure that first party Sony PS3 games are £40 not £60.

Check out our review that went live today: http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/ps3/heavenlysword_p1.asp
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 01:33
Gamereactor gave it 5 and 7.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 02:18
I expected this one to get good scores actually after reading the initial impressions from different sites. On the other hand, Lair also looked more promising at first.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 02:26
Looks like a rental.
Silentbomber

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 02:58

Sony PS3 games are £40 not £60.

I was talking Euros, lol.

Looks like I am going with warhawk next week and getting this whenever its cheap-er. Looking forward to it though...

I see Uumai is playing this, the only game I ever completed on a rental was Enter the Matrix..
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 03:20

I see Uumai is playing this, the only game I ever completed on a rental was Enter the Matrix..

Really? I used to only rent games. I never bought games, but I played all the good ones that came out. It' s only in the last few years that I started actually buying the games instead. I would rent 2-5 games every week, I did that for about 7 years. I think I' ve played over 1000 games.
Silentbomber

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 03:33
when I was younger I rented the hell out of games, they where only one pound for a night or two, I think I completed ff8 and ff9 that way. ever since the Euro renting is way to expensive, a fiver for a night? no thanks.

I havent rented a game in a long time.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 03:55
Well, Heavenly Sword has been dubbed the perfect rental..

I' d buy it though just for cutscenes and art direction...
Nitro

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 04:05
Heavenly Sword and Stranglehold arrived today. Impressions over the weekend

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 04:08
Id have to rent games for 2 weeks to complete them, i simply dont have time to rent.

On heavenly sword, it seems like a game id have fun playing!
Tiz

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 09:09

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Id have to rent games for 2 weeks to complete them, i simply dont have time to rent.

On heavenly sword, it seems like a game id have fun playing!

Clearly you never touched the demo...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 15:28

Clearly you never touched the demo...

No i have yet to afford a PS3, and with all the games i " have" to buy for the 360, i have no need to get one untill something truly amazing comes along
Nitro

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 14, 2007 16:32

ORIGINAL: Adam Doree

I am pretty sure that first party Sony PS3 games are £40 not £60.

Check out our review that went live today: http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/ps3/heavenlysword_p1.asp

Two things:

It' s a crossbow, not a bow and arrow.

You don' t have to use the tilt control for the shooting sections. You can switch to the sticks in the options menu.

uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 15, 2007 05:49
Having completed the game this evening, I can say I love it. It' s up there for me with soul reaver 1, shadow of the collosus, ico etc... short games that are amazing and love to go through again.

Fortunately you can turn ff the motion as Nitro says. Whilst it' s fun for most of the game, it rally makes some of the mission a hell of a lot harder, especially one of the last ones.

And unlike GoW the end boss battle in this game IMO was a million times better, Aboslutely loved it.

I can' t wait for a sequel or something.

As a note though, i already loved the demo. thought it was great, love the combat in it production values etc.

Not to mention the game is beautiful.
Some annoying parts are being unable to skip cut scenes when retrying areas (and the loading to do so).
The shooting sections at first (but i grew to love them).
And my god do you have to be lightning FAST to get the QTE' s 100% everytime. I' m not that quick anymore so Trial and error.
and there is something else that bothers me but i can' t remember what it is.

I saw an Ad for this game in the cinema today, but rather than really advertise the game, they use the game to advertise the ps3 and blu-ray. Sony really aren' t doing so well with the advertisements for ps3 over here imo.
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 17, 2007 07:04
I got this game on friday, and finnished it yesterday.. It' s definately the best action-adventure in my opinion this generation, and also the best money I' ve spent on a game for a very long time. :)

I am one of the few people who spent some time on it, I' m not that good in these types of game, it took me 15-16 hours to finnish the story-line.
I spent 7 hours on the boss-battle with general Flying Fox alone, since I never were able to get the life bottles at the second plateu, wich you are supposed to be able to get in range stance, but weren' t able to get them. :-/
I also hadn' t learn how to master the counter-ability then.

I really enjoyed playing as Kai, I think she' s my favourite ingame characther since the Wing Commander-days. :)
I didn' t have a clue on how to use her on the first mission I played her, but during the second mission with her, I learnt how to use the six-axis aftertouch, wich is very cool, and in this game it gives the game a extra dimmension.

I had a friend visiting when I were stuck on a boss, so he got to try some aswell.. Normally he would only get to try Flying Fox since I were stuck there, but in this game you can go back to the main-menu and replay every mission you want, since you start out in Purgatory and can select whatever mission you want from there as long as you' ve come that far, it' s a really nice option, and this way you can just replay the fun missions if you wish.

The story-line is good in this game is awesome.
The gameplay aswell, I' ve heard that alot of people complain about framerate, but I didn' t notice anything..
Not even in the final battle when I were killing hundreds of people in a single strike.. Dunno if this is because I got the european version, or if it' s just me not noticing it.
I usually don' t get bothered by that anyway as long as the experience is good.

You will feel incredible awesome in the end of the game, in the start aswell offcourse, but it takes off in the end, since then you can pull of superstyle-moves at will since you get into range with 20-30 soldiers around you, and builds up to the superstyle-combos real quick. :)

My favourite movies from the game where when Kai retrieved the password for the armoury, real refreshing humour there.. :) There is one part I burst out laughing for atleast half a minute, I won' t spoil it, but that part is alone is allmost worth the money, especially if you know the backstory to the particular dialog beeing used. :)

I highly reccomend this game to all with a PS3, I think it' s also a game wich is worth to own, it' s also a nice game wich eventual friends can come over and play and be able to pull of insane stuff without having to practice all that much. :)
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 17, 2007 07:33
LOL. the game is terrible.
Nitro

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 17, 2007 07:58

ORIGINAL: KongRudi

I spent 7 hours on the boss-battle with general Flying Fox alone, since I never were able to get the life bottles at the second plateu, wich you are supposed to be able to get in range stance, but weren' t able to get them. :-/

Nah, you' re not supposed to be able to get at them. They' re actually there for you to shoot at when you jump back to Kai (before you fire at Fox), just to max your meter up and add to your overall final score for that stage.

The trick to killing the bosses is to just be relentless. Fox killed me once after he spawned 4 or 5 clones in, ...but the on the 2nd attempt i didn' t give him the opportunity to get away and caned his skinny ass until he spawned the 11 clones in at the end of the battle.

Same thing with Bohan at the end. I died a couple of times but if you don' t give him the chance to escape, and deflect his blasts back at him every time it' s not that hard.

I really enjoyed playing as Kai, I think she' s my favourite ingame characther since the Wing Commander-days. :)
I didn' t have a clue on how to use her on the first mission I played her, but during the second mission with her, I learnt how to use the six-axis aftertouch, wich is very cool, and in this game it gives the game a extra dimmension.

See, i just turned it off straight away because it isn' t sensitive enough. I used the sticks to guide the bolts every time and found it to be a blast.

But yeah, Kai is a way better character than Nariko.

The story-line is good in this game is awesome.

I wouldn' t say the storyline was good, i' d say it was generic. However, i' d definitley call Bohans dialogue and the cutscenes in general the best [non-CG] i' d ever seen.

The gameplay aswell, I' ve heard that alot of people complain about framerate, but I didn' t notice anything..

The framerate is comparable with SotC. In certain scenes it' s fine, but get more than 11 enemies onscreen and it gets choppy. I' m used to playing DMC and Ninja Gaiden which are 60fps, and even though having tons of enemies onscreen makes it more epic i would have prefered it to have been scaled back and running at a higher framerate.

You will feel incredible awesome in the end of the game, in the start aswell offcourse, but it takes off in the end, since then you can pull of superstyle-moves at will since you get into range with 20-30 soldiers around you, and builds up to the superstyle-combos real quick. :)

Meh, i thought the final 2 chapters (the whole army thing and the boss battle) were awful. The first 4 chapters were pretty good though, for what they were.

My favourite movies from the game where when Kai retrieved the password for the armoury, real refreshing humour there.. :) There is one part I burst out laughing for atleast half a minute, I won' t spoil it, but that part is alone is allmost worth the money, especially if you know the backstory to the particular dialog beeing used. :)

I liked it too. In fact, i think they managed to nail Kai' s character i her cutscenes. The short clips when she' s trying to get into the armoury and is told she needs the password are fukking brilliant. The expression on her face and in her voice is 100% perfik.

I [kinda] enjoyed the gameplay in the first 4 chapters and i like how it' s all tied together, but some of Nariko' s voice acting is too butch and you can tell where they spent their money when it comes to the cutscenes because some are meh, and some are near-CG quality.

The framerate pissed me off, as did the screen tearing, and some of the texturing could be better. But for the most part it' s technically solid, and it' s definitely the best looking PS3 game available.

The story is so-so but some of the characters are fantastically realised so it balances out. I didn' t like Shen whatsoever, i think he' s a really poorly designed character, and they didn' t explain why Whiptail is like she is or flesh her character out at all. Parts just seem really rushed, which is odd because the game started out as an Xbox game waaaay back when. Actually, the same thing happened with Kameo; it was in development for years and then made 2 system jumps and ened up being only 6 hours long.

The combat is flasy but really badly implimented. It' s not even as solid as God of War' s, and compared to other premium action games even that is very weak. The idea' s are there but it just doesn' t work as it should. The countering and reversals are the best parts of the combat and i thought the part where you have to disable 14 of your clanmates one by one was really good, but there' s a very imited number of combos, you max out really early on and it doesn' t feel satisfying or even like your doing what your pressing half the time.

I like the art direction, i like some of the characters and i like the cutscenes they spent a shitload on. The game itself is pretty lame.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 17 Sep 07 0:01:21 >
Tiz

RE: Heavenly Sword. - Sep 17, 2007 08:01
It' s too hack n' slashy to be honest, and the QTE' s so far have been quite
unimaginable...

What I do like however is the fact that everything good could have gone to a
successful CGI movie. The games strengths are in its art direction and amusing
storytelling, the characters are brilliantly detailed as are the graphics of the entire
backdrop of the game.

The music always kicks in at the right moment, from desperate situations to
heartfelt bonding sessions.

Sai Tong Man should be fired.

Anyway, this is their first attempt at an epic game since Kung Fu Chaos, so I am sure
the second Heavenly Sword should set the world ablaze, but they missed their
opportunity of being recognized as a worthy contender in the action/adventure
genre, when the next Heavenly Sword hits, it will come out amidst the greasy
elbows of:

Ninja Gaiden 2
DMC4
Versus XIII

.... to name a few.

That being said, I can see why people like the game, but to be honest the fights
in between cut scenes feel like a bore fest of random button-mashing and pad
jumping, but what keeps the steam going is the promise of a lavish cut-scene
inextricably sewn together by Gollum-madman Andy Serkis, who' s comical
timing and directorial brilliance shines through in moments that would
certainly come across as cliche, however, Serkis manages to break them with
a snide comment, quirky remark or amazingly accurate and highly believable
facial animation.

The story line that Heavenly Sword falls on so far feels as if it has been done to
death, I' ll wait till the ending for my final verdict on whether it breaks new grounds
in story-telling, that being said, it is also quite easy to get confused between
amazing character development amidst a bad storyline and say that the game
tells an amazing story when it' s the realness put into the characters that creates
the illusion that they have been woven into these perfect set-pieces.

Well, this is probably the most creative game to come out on PS3 since launch, as
Lair isn' t finished yet so people that do have PS3' s will probably make it the Holy
Grail of the console yet.

I for one think Ninja Theory' s strengths lie in deceptive story-telling and amazing
character development, and employing the right people for the right amount of
hype which strings in distant followers who' s tongues follow more out of this world
words like:

" Mellon" and " Sauron" ..

Sai Tong Man should be fired.

Yeah, buy the game w00t w00t..
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 33

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages