Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 12:23
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4776

Ridge Racer and Genji are already known to support this feature.
A 15 second load could turn into 4 seconds. Not bad... If all gamers supported this feature, you could save your favorite on the HDD and enjoy really short load times.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 12:29
This is where i think sony thought good over MS, Including a HD in every PS3, developers have this feature to work with as standard.

All adds to the bomb of potential the PS3 has.

EDit: obviously the advantage of the HD isnt just Loading.
< Message edited by f3hunter -- 1 Nov 06 4:38:53 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 13:08
That is really nice, I think PS2 would have had a better stronghold and less " haters" had the load times not been so bad. Now to see if 360 takes any cue from this.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 16:07
I was seriously pissed with MS for excluding the harddisk from all consoles! Its annoying to the users and to the devs.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 16:11
I think if MS knew how expensive the PS3 is going to be MS would have not even made the Core pack.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 16:14
That' s a most,if u have only x2 speed on the laser.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 17:08
Ridge Racer needs 5GB of HDD space. It' s not necessarily a good thing for people like me who will own a shitload of titles. If i have to install parts of them then even 60GB isn' t going to be anywhere near enough, especially seeing as i' ll also be downloading HD video content, demos and other stuff.

How will the 20GB model fare?!

Also, is this mandatory? Are you going to have to look and see what the requirements are and work out whether your PS3 can handle it?!

Ok, that' s a bit melodramatic but while this is very cool and will benefit most gamers, it' s going to piss me off no end.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:00
I think it' s dumb. There sould be no reason to install a game on a videogame console. that' s for PCs. That' s what' s always been nice about consoles is you just pop the game in and go. A ten second change in loading times isn' t worth the amount of time it' ll take to install a 5Gig+ file. Just thing how long it' ll take to install freaking Resistance. I think it' s a stupid feature.

I agree with Vx though, MS was dumb not to make the HD standard.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:09

There sould be no reason to install a game on a videogame console. that' s for PCs

Agree. It is stupid! Thats one of that advantages of console gaming so you don' t have to go through all that installation bullshit!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:30
like if the instalation process take FOREVER... how much would it take with CELL to instal a game, let' s suppose the worse , 10 min? yep 10 min and you' re good to go, i don' t think it is mendatory to instal the game, it can' t be , may be this is an option like for pc' s (minimum instal or full install) so you guys make it sound tragic but in fact it' s only to enhance the experience ... my only concerne is the space it' ll take on the hard drive, THAT IS THE REAL CONCERCN, specialy for those owning the 20gb model.

UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:33

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

like if the instalation process take FOREVER... how much would it take with CELL to instal a game, let' s suppose the worse , 10 min? yep 10 min and you' re good to go, i don' t think it is mendatory to instal the game, it can' t be , may be this is an option like for pc' s (minimum instal or full install) so you guys make it sound tragic but in fact it' s only to enhance the experience ... my only concerne is the space it' ll take on the hard drive, THAT IS THE REAL CONCERCN, specialy for those owning the 20gb model.

Cell has very little to do with how fast game files are going to transfer to HDD. It doesn' t matter if you have a the fastest CPU in the world, you' re still going to be restricted/limited by the transfer/bus speeds to the HDD, the speed of the optical drive (the most limiting factor) and the speed of the HDD itself. So if the game is huge, it' s still going to take a fair amount of time. And because of the fact they usually use crappy low end model HDD' s for consoles, they' ll probably be slower than your PC HDD.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 1 Nov 06 12:42:05 >
Rampage99

RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:47
UnluckyOne hit it pretty much spot on. The Cell has nothing to d with it. I' m dumb-founded that people actually think the Cell makes that much of a difference. Instalation only realy concerns HDD write speeds and the disk dirive speeds along with the bandwidth to tranfer the info. Considering the BluRay drive only has a read speed of like 2x, expect installation to take a while.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 20:51
you guys are definitly right, i didn' t pay attention to other more important factors, still it won' t take that much, and may be it will install only the minimum needed to boost downloading speed.. i think that' s what will likely happen.
Nitro

RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 21:00

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Considering the BluRay drive only has a read speed of like 2x, expect installation to take a while.

That' s something that everybody seems to have gotten confused about. I' ve posted about this before so i' ll just post what i posted in the " When did Blu-Ray become Slow-Ray?" thread...

" The lies...

PS3 uses a 2x Blu-Ray drive with a transfer speed of 72Mbits/s or 9MB/s

Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD with a transfer speed of 16MB/s

The truth...

Xbox 360 uses a CAV drive. It only achieves 12x for approx 15% of the outer disc and 5x on the inner ring, with an average of approx 8x. The drive also max' s out at 8x for dual layer (DVD9) discs and so since virtually all games are on DVD9, it' s only reading at 8x maximum. While the specs for peak performance (16MB/s) are correct, it' s peak performance and not what the system operates at in general use. For most loading it only achieves a transfer rate of about 10MB/s.

PS3 on the other hand uses a CLV drive and has a transfer rate of 8-9MB/s under all circumstances.

The difference is negligible."
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 1 Nov 06 13:03:14 >
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 21:36
You sure do know your stuff Majik!
Rampage99

RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 22:47

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Considering the BluRay drive only has a read speed of like 2x, expect installation to take a while.

That' s something that everybody seems to have gotten confused about. I' ve posted about this before so i' ll just post what i posted in the " When did Blu-Ray become Slow-Ray?" thread...

" The lies...

PS3 uses a 2x Blu-Ray drive with a transfer speed of 72Mbits/s or 9MB/s

Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD with a transfer speed of 16MB/s

The truth...

Xbox 360 uses a CAV drive. It only achieves 12x for approx 15% of the outer disc and 5x on the inner ring, with an average of approx 8x. The drive also max' s out at 8x for dual layer (DVD9) discs and so since virtually all games are on DVD9, it' s only reading at 8x maximum. While the specs for peak performance (16MB/s) are correct, it' s peak performance and not what the system operates at in general use. For most loading it only achieves a transfer rate of about 10MB/s.

PS3 on the other hand uses a CLV drive and has a transfer rate of 8-9MB/s under all circumstances.

The difference is negligible."

I wasn' t comparing the 360 drive to the PS3 drive. I was simply saying that much information will take forever to install. It doesn' t matter whether it' s on DVD or BluRay. Even running at it' s max speed with BluRay it' ll take a huge period of time to install a game the size of Resistance for example.
Nitro

RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 01, 2006 23:59
Not all files would be installed, and the disc will still be required to play the game. I' m actually wondering whether it' ll be installed and stay there or whether 5GB will be used as a buffer.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 02, 2006 01:03

I was simply saying that much information will take forever to install. It doesn' t matter whether it' s on DVD or BluRay. Even running at it' s max speed with BluRay it' ll take a huge period of time to install a game the size of Resistance for example.

Installing, isn' t that something you' d only have to do ONCE?
If so, then it doesn' t really matter if it takes time to do it.
I hope the installation procedure will be automated so you don' t have to go through a boring setup as with PC' s.
If it is automated then I think this is a good thing. But if this is more of the PC kind of installation, then it sucks.
When Sony said the PS3 is a PC I thought they meant it in a good way... not that they would take all the bad sides of PC gaming as well.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 02, 2006 03:13
You' re all complaining like they' re taking away a feature here. They' re giving you an option that will improve gameplay, nobody said you have to use it. For some it' s practical, and for some it' s not. But I don' t see why anybody is complaining about more features.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 1 Nov 06 19:14:19 >
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: PS3 to allows games to be installed on HDD to shorten load times. - Nov 02, 2006 16:25

Agree. It is stupid! Thats one of that advantages of console gaming so you don' t have to go through all that installation bullshit!

It' s a new age...where even PORTABLES have load times!

This isn' t as big a deal so much as it' s just a good thing =/

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message