Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii Shortage
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Wiifan89

• Total Posts : 11
Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 14:03
If anyone has info on the Wii Shortage, please update me on it. I wanna know if there will be enough wiis by december 6th-15th. If anyone has this information, please post it on this thread.

Thanks.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 19:44
The Wii shortage is being orchestrated by Nintendo. You can thank them

Almost eight months into it' s release and you can' t buy one on shelves? Screw them. 360s were widely available by March-April, and they' re far more time-consuming to manufacture than an overclocked Cube.

And yes, you' ll be able to buy a Wii come 13 months after it' s release. Lord knows that' s good news.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 21:14
Do you really think that it' s orchestrated? Has it been proven somewhere? I' m just wondering.

I namely understand the reasoning behind that " theory" . But I can' t help but think that it doesn' t seem such a smart or realistic move. I mean, isn' t it better to sell a lot of consoles now that they have the opportunity? Instead of creating an artificial shortage? With a shortage, I would suspect that there is a risk of people not buying one later on because they have gotten tired of waiting. I actually believe that that risk is more disadvantageous than any possible hype they could build up a year later or something. Especially if they are after a " mainstream" audience. I believe that it' s better to make those buy one as fast as possible after launch. Those people aren' t that much into gaming and wouldn' t probably be too bothered anymore after a year of waiting.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 21:28
Shortage breeds hype, hype breeds demand, and demand = sales.

It' s worth adding that once supply and demand equalize sales will drop drastically and since the current library leaves a lot to be desired Nintendo need to maintain hype and demand until they get to a point where sales will be software driven.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 21:29
I don' t really think you can blame Nintendo.

According to vgcharts the Wii has sold 7.81 million in other words soon reaching the 8 million and that in such a short time.

Nintendo couldn' t know the Wii would be selling this good since the console was a bit of a gamble.

You can' t blame Nintendo either that the second Wii' s get on the shelves that people buy them right away. If this trend keeps going Nintendo will need to dramatically raise their production for the holiday season this year.
Nitro

RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 06, 2007 21:47

ORIGINAL: Demonoroth

According to vgcharts the Wii has sold 7.81 million in other words soon reaching the 8 million and that in such a short time.

VGcharts data isn' t welcome here. Why? Because it' s made up. If you posted data from VGcharts on NeoGAF you' d get banned instantly.

Only figures announced by Nintendo in their quarterly reports or at tradeshows etc... is acceptable.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 02:58
Still though, Nintendo, or someone up there, has told us that they sold 6million a while back (April?, March?). I don' t think the 360 sold that much by that time.

To the average consumer, the Wii is the cheapest " next gen" system to them. Add on top all the extra media hype, its hot. Everyone and thier mothers want one (now are they constantly playing them... probably not) but the Wii shortages probably will last until late July or Augest.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 03:13

Shortage breeds hype, hype breeds demand, and demand = sales.

It' s worth adding that once supply and demand equalize sales will drop drastically and since the current library leaves a lot to be desired Nintendo need to maintain hype and demand until they get to a point where sales will be software driven.

That was what I was wondering actually. If hype built up that way would last long enough for a mainstream audience? Now that the Wii isn' t as often in the news anymore they might forget about it or not be bothered anymore. If the Wii' s had been there from the start Nintendo would already have earned all that cash. It' s just something I' ve been wondering about. If the potential profit from this hype (due to shortage) would be bigger compared to selling as much as possible from the start?
< Message edited by ys -- 6 Jun 07 19:14:51 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 03:52
Every person I know (save one who secured a launch unit) who wants a Wii is still waiting for the chance to buy one. They' ve had no chance to be let down by the (let' s face it) lackluster library of titles and it' s working for Nintendo.

As a small side, I don' t want to hear anything about numbers unless it' s straight from Nintendo' s mouth. There' s too many places to screw up with third party analysis.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 04:53
i dont know about you guys but i can walk into a store now and pick one up, if i wanted too, i see the ' in stock now' posters alot.
Nitro

RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 05:03

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

i dont know about you guys but i can walk into a store now and pick one up, if i wanted too, i see the ' in stock now' posters alot.

Yeah, i was in HMV earlier and they have them in.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 05:23
Still hardly noticeable round here. Unless you work for a store and special order one like my girlfriend did, you pretty much have to wait a bit longer.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 07, 2007 10:32
-None at all 3 of the local EB Gamestop locations.
-None at Target
-They had them in for 3 hours at Best-Buy before flying off the shelves according to whoever it was I called.
-Don' t care enough to call Circuit-City or somewhere else.

They' re out as far as I can see.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 08, 2007 10:28
I' ve had opportunities to get about 5 or so in the past 2 months. 2 days ago i saw this one get put on the shelves at walmart and no less than 10 min. later a little kid bought it. If they were still selling well on Ebay i would have picked it up. Originally i was going to try to get a ps3/wii to put on ebay back when they were selling high on ebay.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 08, 2007 10:41
There was a lot of money to be made on the PS3 eBay schemes if people weren' t so greedy. They put up starting bids of 1200 when they should have shot for around 800 or 900 USD. They would have made $300 profit & gone their merry way, but most of them ended up selling them under MSRP after they started to stack up in stores.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 08, 2007 11:20
EBGames are selling Wii bundles. $450...wow.

http://www.ebgames.com/productmerch.asp?groupid=654

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 08, 2007 11:24

They would have made $300 profit & gone their merry way, but most of them ended up selling them under MSRP after they started to stack up in stores.

Yeah, the day they stopped selling so high, i found them in gamestop the day before christmas eve and the workers were offering them to everyone who came in and everyone was looking for a wii
stills46

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 12, 2007 16:22
I know of a site that has several online stores listed that sell Wii. But sadly stocks are still very limited and they could be out anytime. Here' s the link: http://www.smartratings.com/review/electronics/video_gaming_consoles/86 . Hope it helps.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 12, 2007 16:25
Just wait with getting a Wii, there are no titles with the cash on it!
Talex

• Total Posts : 22
RE: Wii Shortage - Jun 12, 2007 23:32
I' ve seen a fair amount of bundles around but not anyone just selling the console
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message