Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Retro
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Retro - Jun 26, 2006 07:51
To make a break from all those ps3 vs. 360 threads, some retro goodness might be nice [and encourage the oldies to get back stuck in here, looking at you two Terry and Joe]

Retro, when would a game be considered retro? is it just limited towards the 2d era or can it be used for 3d games, sure some classics like ghouls and ghosts are considered true retro but would you pair it along side ff7?

What criteria makes a retro game? does it have to be a classic, or a game that you truely love? will games of today [Halo, GTA etc] be considered Retro in a short few years?

Looking back, do you think the games are getting better or worse? are we heading into a dead end or a stairway to heaven?

and please try to make a led zeppelin homage in each of your posts. For the Children.
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Retro - Jun 26, 2006 09:07
well...i believe retro is just a matter of age...for example: now that next-gen is becoming current gen i think that halo:combat evolved as a launch title is now a retro game since it´s out-dated to current standards.

plus...the fact that the game is a classic also gives it the retro label, at least that´s what i think

for instances: playing zelda in snes is retro...playing spyro in psx is retarded

see the difference?

That' s the way... That' s the way it oughtta be (i hope this is the kind of homage you mentioned, bomber)
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Retro - Jun 26, 2006 21:50
.....i thought the term Retro was used to describe anything several decades old which has become ' in fashion' again?.....

...i also associate it with strange brews and stairways to heavens....
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: Retro - Jun 27, 2006 02:06
I consider retro games to be solely from the 2D era. I just think 3D is too new to be considered, well, old. So a game like FF7 would for example be a classic, but not a retro classic, which would be breakout or pong.
industrocyberbot23

• Total Posts : 108
RE: Retro - Jun 28, 2006 00:37
I agree with Hidemoto about retro here - now I' m 360' d up, Halo is " Retro" . I wouldn' t draw a line anywhere between my spectrum/NES/SNES/N64/PS2/Xbox in particular, so really anything older than this generation is officially retro, although I probably wouldn' t play last gen' s games now because they are still fresh in my memory, Goldeneye on the N64 is just as Retro as Target: Renegade as far as I' m concerned.

But you would have to be an idiot to pick up retro games that were no good the first time round, however I also don' t agree that it has to be a " classic" to be retro game.

One thing I really don' t understand is the retro gamer mags I' ve seen! Why don' t people just order back issues of Your Sinclair or Gamesmaster or whatever???

In fact, I' m goign to call people who play PS2 retro gamers just to piss them off!!
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Retro - Jun 28, 2006 01:01

In fact, I' m goign to call people who play PS2 retro gamers just to piss them off!!

lol

you mentioned target:renegade...man i haven´t heard about it in a really long time...i was a great renegade fan but renegade 3 sucked...just like streets of rage the 3rd instalment wasn´t near as good as the 2 first.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Retro - Jun 28, 2006 02:23
Personaly, I wouls slpit it up into 3d and 2d retro.

Alltough 3d is realitively so new, its hard to call retro.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll