Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 11:48
Hello everyone i found this article saying that the XBox 360 GPU is slightly faster then the PS3 GPU. ALso i was thinking that if ATI is making the GPU for the Revolution if they use the same one then the Rev will also be more powerful wouldn' t that be a trip? The Sony PS3 claiming to be the fastest and being last haha. Also since it wil most like be the most expensive and i just read another article saying that the games on the PS3 wil be upwards of $70-80 this could be a tough sell for sony

I am not trying to be a fanboy or bash sony i just thought this article was interesting and funny.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/

hehe also notice that the article is coming from some place called " TEAM XBOX" gee i wonder why they favored the xbox 360.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 12:25
I' m gonna wait on Game Developers to confirm from actual hands on experience what they believe is the most powerful of the GPUs ;)
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 12:43
I don' t know all the numbers, Rampage99 is your man for that, but I do know that GPU' s arent' the whole story. It has to work in combination with the main motherboard, as well as have system RAM toback it all up. On benchmarking tests PS3 is claiming 1.8 Tflops while the 360 is claiming 1.15 Tflops. I personally don' t believe either system is going to be hitting the 1.0 Tflop range when it hits the market, but that' s just me being a little cynical, and in my opinion, a little realisitic.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 13:26
From what I' ve heard the 360 GPU is indeed more powerful than the RSX that' s in the PS3. I really won' t go through the whole number crunch thing because I don' t even know the entire extent of it and really no one does entirely. Over all though the 360 GPU is a better performer overall. As I' ve stated before, the integrated ram that is built directly on to the GPU is what gives it the serious edge. It can do numerous graphical enhancements without any strain on overall system performance. It can do all sorts of nifty things with that ram including full screen 4x anti-aliasing, pixel shading, poly shading, and so on without ever bogging down any other system resources. That means everything will have more realistic shadows and will be much smoother all around. Those types of things often strain a system so with that completely freed up the GPU has a lot more resources to work with on making everything else better. That' s what I' ve come to understand.

The RSX is still a beast though as is the PS3 as a whole. It does technically have the ability to number crunch almost 2 teraflops of floating point calculations while the 360 only pushes out a little over one teraflop. That really doesn' t matter though because most games hardly use floating point calculations. Games rely on general purpose calculations which happens to be the 360' s strong point. The Cell may be twice as powerful in something that games don' t use but the 360 is three times as powerful as the PS3 in general purpose calculations. As MS said, their console is focused on making high powered games and not winning science awards.

I' m really intregued by the Cell processor and it' s potential to be used in multiple devices that can run in tandum together. It' s been said that sony may even encorperate the chip into TVs and such. That would mean if you hooked up your PS3 to your TV that had it' s own cell processor, both could be used to run the game. 2 cell processors working in unison sounds pretty crazy. At the same time I' m doubtful it will work. Then again, as I said before I don' t know the full extent of what it' s capable of.

I' m actually more excited about the 360 though. It has three cores built into it' s CPU. That basically acts as if the console had three seperate 3Ghz processors. Even better is each has two threads availible. I did a little research on these multiple threads last week and I found out that each core can create it' s own virtual core inside of the core using the second thread. That may sound complicated but to sum it up, the 360 could technically be running as if it had 6 cores or CPUs. Yeah sounds crazy, I know. Bascailly it will be able to have the three actual cores running at 3Ghz a piece while at the same time, using the second thread, simulate three more cores(or CPUs, however you want to look at it). It' s a lot to wrap the mind around but it sounds incredible. Since no one knows really how to use the second threads yet most people will just rely on the regular cores. Still that is three 3Ghz CPUs to work with. One could be completely dedicated to physics, one could be completely dedicated to AI, and one could be left over for all the other stuff to be processed with. If done this way the physics will be utterly insane and fully(and I mean fully) destructible enviroments could be possible. The AI will be insanely smart on both the good guys side and the bad guys side and allows huge amounts of individual thinking among NPCs. That means a huge amount of characters that are all very intellegent and capable of all doing free form AI.

Yeah, this is getting long so I' ll touch on a couple more things. The 360 has an amazing architecture. Every thing is directly linked to eachother since it' s all unified. This allows for very fast transfers of info without any bouncing around. The PS3 on the other hand seems very slapped together. From what I' ve read the information has to be bumped all over the place before it' s process is finally finished. It has to bounce from CPU to RAM to the Graphics card, then it back to the RAM , and... I really don' t know. Apparently it' s just not set up well.

Finally about the Revolution getting the same GPU as the 360... I doubt it. Nintendo wants to be cost friendly, and this GPU isn' t exaclty the cheapest thing around. Infact it' s probably the most exspensive card availible for consoles. The technology in it won' t be avaiblible for computers for a looooooooong time. From what I' ve heard it could be a couple years at minimum. It' s like 2 genreations ahead of what ATi wants to release on the computer market. My guess is that the Revolution will have a great GPU. I really wish Nintendo would spill the beans on their hardware so I could drool, but they don' t seem to want to share. I' m a big fan of ATi(their stuff is much better than nVidia imo) and expect them t have something quite fancy for the guys at Nintendo.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 31 Aug 05 21:34:16 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 14:12
I also read that the 3 cores is better then the one cell core (even though ti has 7 spe or what ever they call it they aren' t liek ful cores or something). Plus i also that Sony has redcued the speed of the cell and it' s spe' s to 2.6 giving MS the edge.

This is good news for developers to create games. ALso seeing how the PS3 games might cost alot more since they are blu-ray and that is stil new compared to DVD' s which are cheap now. But the only draw back for developing for the Xbox 360 is the choice to sell 2 systems one with and one without a hard drive. I heard on G4 that some are not very happy about it because they don' t know if their game should be dependant on the hard drive ot just make the game for a memory card. Seeing how not everyone will have a HDD. MS really dropped the ball on that one why make it standard for the xbox 1 to come with it and then change it for the xbox 2 you know?I am guessing they will just fade out the $300 one after a bit and sell the Xbox 360 with the HDD when the PS3 comes out so everyone has a HDD or something like that.

The only one i am planning to buy at launch is Nintendo' s seeing how it' s suposed to only be like $200. i am trying to win a Xbox 360 on that mountain dew thing hehe. I will wait to see how good Blue Dragon and Lost odysee is to buy a Xbox 360. So far those are the only games i am looking forward too although kameo looks cool. I am a RPG person also a platformer like Ratchet and Clank series. I was upset they messed up Jak and daxter series, the first one was really cool and the second one was really boring.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 15:05
THAT' S FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

Now all they need to do is somehow, someway, just maybe make a game that I actually would want to buy.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 15:10
A sequel to Einheinder. That' s the game you want them to make Joe. Have you ever played the original? I absolutely freakin love that game. They put a sequel on the 360 or PS3 and I will seriously start thinking about buying one.
Rampage99

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 15:21

ORIGINAL: mxpx182

A sequel to Einheinder. That' s the game you want them to make Joe. Have you ever played the original? I absolutely freakin love that game. They put a sequel on the 360 or PS3 and I will seriously start thinking about buying one.

That' s the game where if you die you have to start all over right? That game was hell! I really like the art design and idea behind it though
Rampage99

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 15:36

ORIGINAL: Phoenixxx1974

I also read that the 3 cores is better then the one cell core (even though ti has 7 spe or what ever they call it they aren' t liek ful cores or something). Plus i also that Sony has redcued the speed of the cell and it' s spe' s to 2.6 giving MS the edge.

this is true. Sony originally claimed the Cell was clocked at 4Ghz. then it dropped to 3.6... and then 3. I haven' t heard about the 2.6Ghz drop yet but I wouldn' t be surprised. Sony' s been trying to push the Cell processor and the RSX GPU to their brinks and because of it they have yet to actually get the PS3 to work (which is the reason it may get pushed back ' til 2007). I still laugh knowing Sony doesn' t have a console. Seriously... they have a dev kit and that' s it. If you' ve seen the size of the dev kit you can probably realize why they are having a hard time fitting all that huge harware into that tiny package.

The main problem is over heating. The Cell processor and the RSX run hot as a devil' s fart. Sony wants to make the Cell processor all beastly claiming that it runs at 4Ghz but that' s when it' s overclocked with a major cooling system. Same with the RSX. That thing burns out almost every time they try to get the thing running from what I' ve heard. IF you look at the case for the PS3 it actually has virtually no ventilation other than one of the small side. If they keep that design they will never get the console to function. Sony is trying to make a console out of a bunch of different parts slapped together hoping it will work. So far it hasn' t. That' s Sony' s biggest problem when it comes to consoles.

If you look at the interior and exterior build of the 360 you will see the reason it is still fairly big(though not as big as the original) is simply because of the cooling system. the case itself provides a ton ov ventilation. The interior has a combination of bother duel fans and a water cooling system. It takes a lot to keep tis beasts cool. Hopefully Sony will find a decent way to cool their system without beefing up anymore than it already is(that thing is freaking huge!). My guess is the only way they will keep the system from over heating is to turn down the power of the hardware like they have been doing with the Cell this whole time. Doing so will definately kill system perfomance though.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 16:19
Brandon Shipe

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:11 pm Post subject: PlayStation 3 Faster Than 7800, Not Slower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misquote leads to elongated articles across the world wide web.

What started out as a simple news post on EvilAvatar.com quickly turned into a raging inferno over how slow the PlayStaiton 3 really was. Sites such as The Inquirer and Team Xbox decided to pop their heads in for a gander at the situation and ended up joining the party.

Now, another user on EvilAvatar.com says that the quote was nonsense.

A user by the name of " Red Cloak" posted a " quote" that he said was from the " latest issue of PSM" , or the September 2005 edition of PlayStation Magazine (PSM) to be more specific. The " quote" in question was said to come from an nVidia spokesman and read precisely like this:

" The GeForce 7800 is almost identical to the RSX, the rsx is only slightly less powerful."

Following up on the issue at around 3:15 PM EDT this afternoon, user " Lexicon" came around with what he says is the actual paragraph from which " Red Cloak" derived the " quote" from.

" There' s no doubting that NVIDIA' s new 7800GTX is the ultimate in PC graphics technology. The card' s G70 GPU, which is more than twice as powerful as two of NVIDIA' s previous top-of-the-line 6800 borads, shares a lot of similar workings with the PS3' s RSX chip - only it isn' t as fast. Oh, and it retails for $599."

Seeing as though " Lexicon" has been around slightly longer than " Red Cloak" , I feel it only right to take his word on the matter. It seems too much like an ill-conceived idea for Sony to be using the RSX GPU if it has already been surpassed by the 7800 (or even the 7800 GTX) and, given the nature of the quote in question, I can' t see an nVidia spokesman making such a comment.

With that said, hopefully we can put this rumor behind us and keep our minds open about Sony' s PlayStation 3.
Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 16:27

A sequel to Einheinder. That' s the game you want them to make Joe.

Screw that, I' ll take Thunder Force over Einhander ANY DAY and twice on Sundays. Einhander was OK, but I couldn' t really get into it (like all Square games). I seem to remember the phrase " pushing up daisies" from the game, though. I liked the music, but even that got old kind of quick.

What they need to make is a non-crime game that isn' t a sequel to something else and also isn' t an FPS game. What do we have that fits that category? Alan Wake! Forget it. The Xbox360 lineup is boring. The only game that even sounds promising is Ridge Racer 6 or whatever it is, and we haven' t seen even one single screen from that game. If it is going to be a launch game and they can' t even give us any screens yet, then that game is going to be filled with bugs.

So far the Xbox360 game lineup is about as exiting as a stadium full of flacid penises.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 16:49
Well for FPS and racing fans its extremely erect.
Boss Hogg

• Total Posts : 299
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 16:49
Joe your trying to tell me that Dead or Alive 4, Ghost Recon 3, Perfect Dark 0, NBA 2K6, Madden 2006, and Project Gotham Racing 3 are all boring WTF are u on man!? Thats a great starting line-up for Xbox 360.

Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 16:58
Yes. You may like those games in your mainstream world, but I' ve played them all before. The only thing better about DoA 4 will be the graphics. Otherwise it' s still a fighting game that we' ve all played before. Also did you notice that every single game you listed is a sequel? WTF are u [sic] on?

And Locopuyo, I am a huge racing game fan, yet nothing in the Xbox360 lineup interests me. I find Gotham Racing pretty lackluster, Screw those " kudos" !
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:06
Hell I' d take a sequel to the uninspired NANOSTRAY over Einhander :P...
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:08
Try convince any european to buy madden/nfl...
I wont ever play it,i saw some NFL at tv,it was very boring,they run like 5 meter get stopped...wow
Or even basket,FIFA is soon not worth buying,i recommend everyone to go pro evultion soccer,those japanese people know how to make " fotball games" not EA.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 1 Sep 05 1:15:58 >
Boss Hogg

• Total Posts : 299
RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:15

Also did you notice that every single game you listed is a sequel? WTF are u [sic] on?

Whats wrong with sequels joe? These games may be mainstream but they are still great games. and no matter what DOA will always be my favorite fighting series of all time.

< Message edited by Boss Hogg -- 1 Sep 05 1:18:04 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:17
well american footbal is just that american. just like Europeans are crazy about soccer or futbol and Canadiens are loopy for hockey.
QuezcatoL

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:22
We in sweden dig hockey very much too :)
Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 GPU less powerful then the Xbox 360? - Aug 31, 2005 17:42

Whats wrong with sequels joe?

Is that all you want?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages