Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Doom
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
Doom - Aug 11, 2004 12:38
From IGN FilmForce

Stax here with an exclusive first look at the screenplay for Doom! This March 2004 draft is by Dave Callaham. Enda McCallion will direct for Universal Pictures and producers John Wells (The West Wing) and Lorenzo DiBonaventura (G.I. Joe). Time reports that the film will lens this winter in Prague. Dwayne " The Rock" Johnson might star but he has Spy Hunter and Gridiron Gang lined up as well so maybe he won' t be able to.

The following review contains MINOR SPOILERS:

As you undoubtledly know, Doom is based on the hugely popular video game from id Software. It reportedly draws most of its inspiration from the recently released Doom 3. The protagonist is John Grimm, a Marine who is nicknamed " Reaper" (as in grim reaper) by the other members of his squad. (They include the Sarge, Hernandez, Goat, Destroyer, Portman, and The Kid.) As with the game, they' re stationed at a Martian research facility owned and operated by the UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation).

The facility works on the research and development of teleportation. Among the scientists working there is John' s estranged sister Sam(antha). John and Sam took different paths after the death of their parents (who had excavated finds of an ancient Martian civilization).

Needless to say, strange things are happening at the facility. Inhabitants are dead or missing, frayed lab coats and severed limbs are discovered, and there seems to be little explanation as to why. Long story short (and this is no spoiler for those of you familiar with the game): the facility' s experiments have somehow unleashed monstrous, infernal beings and now it' s up to John to save the day. That' s Doom in a nutshell.

Filled with nods to both Aliens and Predator (find me a contemporary military/horror movie that doesn' t), Doom spends its first 45 pages establishing the bizarre goings-on at the facility before main characters begin getting killed off. There is a bit of a Ripley/Hicks attraction between Samantha and Hernandez – and a big brother/little brother dynamic between John and The Kid – but otherwise the only real emotional investment that the script makes in the characters is with the relationship between siblings John and Sam. (The most memorable character by far was Pinky, a disfigured, creepy, wheelchair-bound worker at the UAC facility whose path has crossed with John' s before.)

John and Sam have had a rocky relationship since the death of their parents in an accident. John has forsaken his family' s academic background in favor of the military and this hasn' t sat well with his sister. Obviously, a chance for reconciliation is presented during the course of the story but things became far too heavy-handed. Still, I appreciated that Doom at least attempted to create some sort of dramatic relationship between some of its characters.

I realize, of course, that the core audience for this movie couldn' t give a rat' s behind about narrative and character but that doesn' t mean I can completely overlook them. They' re precisely what makes me care about a movie. Frankly, I' ve yet to see a movie based on a video game that I really liked. While both movies and video games may be virtual mediums, the former is a spectator experience while the latter allows you to participate in and determine events. Once the game becomes a movie, you' re robbed of what made you enjoy it to begin with. In the case of Doom, you' re basically left with an Alien clone.

Oddly enough, the whole Martian/teleportation/demons unleashed angle seemed overexplained. The more the story tried to explain the hows and whys the less I could suspend my disbelief. Hellish beings have been released and it' s up to our hero to kick their collective butts. I get it. Just make me care about the characters and I won' t question the premise too much.While Doom might entertain lovers of the game, the rest of us may feel like we' ve crept down these dark, foreboding halls many times before. -- STAX

How cool is that? Doom with a story. Im looking forward to this.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Doom - Aug 11, 2004 13:16
Very interesting...

Dewayne" The Rock" Johnson would be a good choice; however, Ron Perlman would be my first pick. He' s big, mean, ugly and can kick some serious butt!
jabronibasher

RE: Doom - Aug 11, 2004 13:52
ron perlman...that the guy who played HellBoy? vamp in Blade 2? He could play a demon...dude' s bad ass .

Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Doom - Aug 12, 2004 02:31
Yeah, bad ass is right!
jabronibasher

RE: Doom - Aug 12, 2004 12:37
I finally got my copy of doom! Damn, its a great day! Wish me luck, cause i know ill be soiling my pants soon.
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: Doom - Aug 12, 2004 13:21
I dont know if " The Rock" would be good choice. But I dont know who else they should pick but please dont let it be someone that is always a super action hero type of figure.

Bruce Willis would be a cool marine. Although it wasnt a movie, he was really kicking *ss in the game called Apocalypse for the PSX! Wich is somewhat similar to doom with the demon stuff and all that. He was a prisoner but looked like a marine to me
< Message edited by Zotty -- 8/12/2004 1:21:43 PM >
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Doom - Aug 16, 2004 14:50
Bruce Willis wouldn' t be too bad. The Rock would be good as a big guy but I think his other affiliations may have a negative effect in such a role. He his more known for a brawler kind of role, not shoot em up style. In some of his other roles his character specifically chose not to use guns.
I don' t know, The Rock just doesn' t fit the role as well as I think it should be fitted.
jabronibasher

RE: Doom - Aug 16, 2004 17:23
Im not so sure about bruce. He seems a little too old to fit in with the story. The important thing is they pick someone who can act well, since its a movie and not a game with a mute lead.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Doom - Aug 16, 2004 17:57
True good acting would be key but combined with someone who fit the part appearance-wise would be a bonus.
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: Doom - Aug 16, 2004 20:53
Oke maybe bruce is kinda old but well he still looks like a cool dude He has the attitude, looks and a bad ass voice. He isnt like the rock that goess wrooaaar me smash but more like uhmm want a piece of this? Hmm nevermind that :P

What im saying is they should like for someone like bruce and not someone like the Rock or lets say Vin Diesel :\ But either way if this movie will be ever made, I just hope it turns out good and that it has a very good story.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll