Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD TV: Are you getting one?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 25, 2005 18:46
Well the 360 is almost upon us promising better looking games than ever before. One piece of kit Microsoft and even Sony are insistent we purchase to enjoy their games at their best is a High Definition TV.

I' ve been looking around for the best HD TV' s and they mostly come in super size, way over budget for most mere mortals. But hidden away are a few more modest examples within grabbing distance for all.

Take for example this beauty.

26" and in full High Def. Yours for only £600 (Apparently around $1000 but you' ve more options) if you know where to look.

So is anyone here planning on joining the HD Revolution like me or have you already?
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 25, 2005 20:03
Got a 26 inch Samsung CRT just two months ago.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 25, 2005 20:34
I use my 22 inch CRT monitor, I have a viewsonic HD adapter thing for it but might just get the vga adapter for the 360. My roomate just bought a viewsonic 32 inch 8 ms widescreen LCD. Now only the hard part of getting a 360 awaits us.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 00:24
I have the Sony 34XBR960. 34 inches. Just like me.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 03:34
I don' t know. I don' t want a big TV (>32" ), takes to much space, hard to move and it' s bad for the eyes unless you sit a mile away and all so I want a smaller TV, like 28" or something. I' ve heard that the difference in picture quality between a regular TV and a HDTV isn' t very noticable unless you have a 37" or bigger so maybe I' ll stick with regular TVs for a while if that' s how it is. Anyone who have compared a smaller regular TV with one of those big HDTVs who can tell how the difference in picture quality is?
And how does the picture look if you play games with a projector?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 05:32
I currently have a 36" RCA Xbox ready TV. It' s incredibly clear and apparently " fakes" HD. Not sure how that works but it looks far better than any regular TV I' ve ever seen. I may eventually go HD but I currently have no reason too.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 05:58
None Tv channel in sweden has any broadcast in HDTV,so...its quite useless and they are to expensive at the moment,like when dvd came out-... so i buy one mayby next year or in 2 years.
Twist

• Total Posts : 21
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 12:54
Aren' t the U.S. Government going to make all TV signals HD in 2009? In other words, HDTV will be compulasary.

Im not American though, so ha to those who have to fork out thousands of dollars.
Rampage99

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 12:57
You don' t need a HDTV to pick up a Digital signal. Any regular old tv will still work with the high def signal.
Joe Redifer

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 13:17
...After you purchase a $50 convertor box, that is.
Rampage99

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 14:23
Nope. They lie about that crap. You actually get a better signal without the damn converter box when on a regular tv. I just had digital cable put in my new apartment. The converter box actually took too much signal and made the picture all fuzzy. I plugged the cable right in front of the cable guy and it came out perfectly clear. He was all like " that' s not supposed to happen" . I smiled and shrugged. They just want you to buy their converter to make it seem like your getting a better signal. the only thing that box adds is a the channel browser thing and on demand stuff. Lies and propoganda.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 15:08
I have a Sony 34" High Def TV, with a Directv HD tuner, and I have a Sony 23" 16:9 monitor. Soon (it shipped Oct. 25) I' ll have my projector set up (which is capable of 720p) and I' ll be able to give you guys the lowdown on that.

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I' ve heard that the difference in picture quality between a regular TV and a HDTV isn' t very noticable unless you have a 37" or bigger so maybe I' ll stick with regular TVs for a while if that' s how it is. Anyone who have compared a smaller regular TV with one of those big HDTVs who can tell how the difference in picture quality is?
And how does the picture look if you play games with a projector?

Ginjirou, the difference in going from regular tv to HD is HUGE. Not just talking about an HD set with a regular, or even digital input. To truly get the BEST experience, an HD source is mandatory! I mean, I had digital cable, and a dvd player hooked up to my HD set for a while. It was pretty nice too! But when I hooked up that HD Satellite tuner, man, it' s another world! Not to mention that Xbox in HD is frickin sweet as well.

As far as needing a bigger set, I' d say nay to that as well. On my Sony monitor, which is only 23" , the HD stuff looks awesome, compared to a regular satallite signal (which I had plugged into it for a while). Basically, you just have to take that leap of faith, and see for yourself. I think you' ll like it. Lord know, I' ll never go back!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 17:55
Eventually. Right now I have a few more important things to get out of the way first.
Joe Redifer

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 18:07
Rampage, I think you are a bit confused. We are talking about HDTV broadcasts over the air. A regular TV is completely incapable of receiving digital transmissions, much less HDTV transmissions. A $50 convertor box will be required to receive free TV broadcast OVER THE AIR, not on cable. Cable sucks. I can' t imagine paying for television programming.
QuezcatoL

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 18:14
Was gonna say the same thing,2006 whole sweden should be digital broadcast,so you need a cable box for your tv,if you wanna watch the national tv channels.
Or all other channels...If you dont have a para... nvm
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 27 Oct 05 2:14:35 >
locopuyo

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 18:28
I think they are allowed to broadcast in SDTV as long as they are also broadcasting in HDTV for the same area. So you don' t even really need a converter yet. And they were supposed to move to all HDTV over air by 2004... They just constantly postpone it.
Joe Redifer

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 20:13
It' s 2009 in America now. Probably 2137 in Europe since they are behind on everything except cell phones, which they are ahead of everyone else.

And the conversion isn' t to HDTV broadcating, it is to DIGITAL broadcasting. Right now in my town I get a lot of 480i (standard definition) broadcast channels in digital. You can put 3 SD channels into the same bandwidth as 1 HDTV channel, so a lot of stations have 3 different video feeds going simultaneously. Some even have 1 HD stream paired with an SD stream which steals bandwidth and makes the HD content look like ass. But the $50 boxes will definitely be able to downconvert the 19mbps HDTV stream into letterboxed video viewable on any SD TV.
Rampage99

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 26, 2005 21:24
Ah... makes sense.
QuezcatoL

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 27, 2005 02:07
We already have just digital broadcasting in some parts of sweden,analog is gone 2006.
Dad alreay bought one of those cable box,it also let me watch fox news with bill oreilly
locopuyo

RE: HD TV: Are you getting one? - Oct 27, 2005 02:24
just wanted to confirm that high def makes an enourmous difference no matter what size the screen.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 32

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message