Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War
Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 20 of 107
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War - Mar 10, 2007 06:29
GRAW2 fucking owns Gears of War' s ass hands fucking down!

I just completed the mission where you have no real equipment and you' re all cut up to shit and not only is this the best looking game on 360 but it' s the most cinematic game i' ve ever played.

There can be no " it' s just GRAW 1.5" whatsoever. They chose a really bad section to use for a demo, you' re going to have to play the retail version to see what i mean. The lighting is better than i could possibly have imagined. The weather effects and environmental effects are amazing and the game just plain looks better than Rainbow Six: Vegas or Geas of War. They need to start selling this fucking engine because it' s fantastic!

The game has actually given me renewed hope that Killzone, or other games could reach a graphical level close to the trailer shown at E305.

The 360 version even has Havok and Ageia PhysX powered physics and supports 1080p (Lost Planet, Gears, Vegas etc all support 1080i and the fake scaled 1080p 360 currently uses) which obviously would lead you to believe a newer version of the console is indeed coming.

I don' t know how far i' m into the game. Probably half way or so but if Gears deserves a 10/10 the this does too. The leap over the original is staggering!
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 10 Mar 07 17:58:53 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 06:34
Is there a PC version?
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 06:36
I never really got into GRAW, in fact I sold it for another game. Everything I' ve heard about GRAW 2 has been good and I may end up getting it at some point.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 06:43
everything about Graw 2 screams graw 1.5 to me, but having never played the orginal I guess thats not a bad thing. I have watched alot gameplay foorage [hd duh] and was iffy about the way it plays, maybe its a love hate thing right now, but I guess I have to wait untill i get to play it.

I wonder if the ps3 version is any different.
Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 06:45

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Is there a PC version?

Like the original the PC version is completely different. Different engine, 1st person instead of 3rd and far more tactical, ..but yeah, there' s a PC version.

The PC GRAW was amazing too. The physics especially were frighteningly realistic.

The PC GRAW2 isn' t out yet though. I' ll pick it up when it is but if you have a 360 and even have even the remotest interest in these games then you need GRAW2.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 06:53
Wow you sound impressed. But did the gameplay get any better or is it just the graphics and physics? Because I never got into the first game Sure, I only played it a little in a store and the demo at home, but I just think the game was boring. The controls were slow and the graphics seemed kinda dull.
I' m tired of violent wargames. Are you sure GRAW2 is better than Viva Pinata or TDU, because I' m thinking of buying those games?
Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 07:40
It makes GRAW look like an Xbox game and it puts Gears to shame.

There' s more life in the environments. You' ll disturb birds which will scare and fly away in a panic. There' s awesome rain and wind effects and the wind blows dust around realistically. Hell, even firing a rocket through a plume of rising smoke will blow the smoke aside realistically. It' s the most technically accomplished game i' ve seen yet. The AI is far better than the original, the physics are properly implimented, the lighting is simply perfect. The game just looks and feels better.

Control-wise it' s faster and movement if more fluid, but its not perfect and you still have to press (Y) to come out of cover. I think they should have used the system Vegas uses which is perfect. But there are no glitches and moments of getting stuck and there' s a new roll move which is really handy.

At one point you have to control your own team but a couple of Mexican Special force too and the new Cross-Com mechanics work seamlessly. The ability to view the helmet cam of your individual soldiers fullscreen and select there target or next position from there is genius.

The levels are more open too and have much more convincing layouts. Parts of it look like Kosovo with all of the war damage and i' ve seen Kosovo firsthand. I honestly think Ubisoft could perfectly replicate Black Hawk Down if they wanted to. There' s more atmosphere than in GRAW.

But saying that, if GRAW wasn' t your thing then you probably wouldn' t like this either. I loved the original, even if Vegas has outdone it in every respect since. This outdoes Vegas.
Silentbomber

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 07:47
It has techincally out done Vegas, what about gameplay wise?
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 9 Mar 07 23:47:49 >
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 08:17

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Nitro I like GRAW2 as well but reading your comments on the board, makes me want to get it, I will look for this on the PC.
Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 08:33

ORIGINAL: the_shadowwolf

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Nitro I like GRAW2 as well but reading your comments on the board, makes me want to get it, I will look for this on the PC.

If you played the demo then the demo was rubbish and non-representational of the final game.

Gears is stunning but it' s all in the textures. GRAW2 has everything and i' m hard to impress when it comes to game technology so when i say it' s impressive i damn well mean it.

Mass sent me a message last night that said " GRAW2 is one helluva game" and after playing it for 5 hours straight tonight i know exactly what he meant. Even the tutorial is kickass.

It has techincally out done Vegas, what about gameplay wise?

The controls aren' t as fluid as i' d like. Vegas' s cover system was perfectly implemented and GRAW2' s isn' t. It' s much the same as the original game. Movement is faster and more fluid and there' s no ' work-up-to-a-run' clumsyness which like Mass pointed out a while ago was the developers trying to nail realistic weight distribution. It' s not perfect though and Gears handles better.

Actual gameplay-wise it' s improved over GRAW. You still go from A to B as it' s a linear story [set piece] driven game, but the levels and missions are more diverse. The Cross-Com is more useful as you can go into a teammates helmet cam full screen and choose where he needs to go to next or who to target. It allows for more tactical gameplay, or at least it does in a minor sense. The game isn' t exactly tactical, that' s what the PC version is for.

You can move the Drone and Mule manually which is cool but again gameplay-wise the improvements are minor.

But meh, playing this has made me regret giving up uni...
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 08:38
Nitro I just want you to know that I hate you, in a joking way of course, I have had to cancel my pre order as I got an email saying that due to unprecedented demand my copy will be delayed. Oh well will get it tomrrow from tesco' s
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 13:42
Rare to see anyone say GoW is shit in comparison to a game, I gotta check it out then. If it is more cinematic than Graw Then it will probably catch my interest.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 17:17
I' m not a huge fan of Gears, I' ll say that it' s shit to a lot of games. I only played it online when a few of my friends were on it.

EDIT:
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 10 Mar 07 15:04:49 >
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 18:01

Agent Ghost
Level 4

1320 posts. Memorable number for me. its the quarter mile in feet.

PS. Yes, this post is rather pointless.
Silentbomber

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 22:27
Ok, to get this straight, God Of War is GOW. as it was First, Gears Of War is just Gears.

None of this mix and match stuff going on!

Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! - Mar 10, 2007 22:59

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Ok, to get this straight, God Of War is GOW. as it was First, Gears Of War is just Gears.

None of this mix and match stuff going on!

Hahaha! Yeah, i hate the GoW/GOW/GeoW shit that people use. Gears is just as easy to type and you automatically know what it is.
Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War - Mar 11, 2007 03:39
Ok, i' m closing on the end of the main campaign and i' m increasingly impressed.

In the original GRAW there were no environmental effects and the lighting while nice really well done was a bit too much. In this game there is wind, smoke, rain, lightning etc and sun that shines through the clouds realistically, but one of the coolest things is that because there' s a large scale battle going on there' s loads of dark smoke rising everywhere and during the evening/night section the anti aircraft lights up the sky and you can see the highlights in the smoke. It adds an unbelievable amount of atmosphere.

Early in the game you have to take control of a mounted machinegun in a Blackhawk during a rainstorm. The rain looked great and everything but the thing that really struck me is that the rain flowed and trailed off the weapon when the helicopter was moving. It' s that kind of attention to detail that i love about this game.

Gears is stunning, but mainly because of the textures. GRAW2 doesn' t have as detailed texture work as Gears and probably not even Vegas, but it makes use of a huge selection of graphical techniques the other games don' t have and it has greatly superior lighting and particle effects. The explosions are simply perfect.

I just wish the solo campaign had co-op like Gears. That' d be cool. As it is the co-op is like in the first GRAW, only better.

Hahaha, i also like the inclusion of proper secondary weapons. In the PC version of GRAW you could have your assault rifle or sniper rifle/whatever and a sub-machinegun. In the 360 version you were limited to a pistol. In GRAW2 on 360 you get to choose from a couple of pistols and a selection of sub-machineguns. It' s nice to be able to take a sniper rifle and have an MP5 or P90 just incase

I also like the inclusion of a shotgun and proper grenade launcher. It' s all good!
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War - Mar 11, 2007 03:42
I was playing the demo earlier wishing it was the full version, hopefully tomorrow will be GRAW2 day.
Nitro

RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War - Mar 11, 2007 03:52

ORIGINAL: alijay034

I was playing the demo earlier wishing it was the full version, hopefully tomorrow will be GRAW2 day.

The demo sucks.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Ho lee sh!t!!!! GRAW2 owns Gears of War - Mar 11, 2007 04:10
Damn you Majik, I just bought COD2 (again) and put a deposit on Guitar Hero II (360). I' m starting to think i should have bought GRAW2 instead.
Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 20 of 107

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message