Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Half Life 2 Discussion
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36
Eastwood

• Total Posts : 158
Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 15:50
Who' s playing this? I didn' t see a thread on this (hopefully I' m not just oblivious) so I thought I' d start one.

This is the most fun I think i' ve ever had playing a PC game. im about 2/3 thru the game and have yet to be bored, irritated or anything bad once. its just incredibly well done. downright ceramic i tell you.

what say you?
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 16:02
I' m not overly impressed with thegame. It' s no doubt a great game but overall it hasn' t done anything that really blows me away.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 16:13
I' m kind of with Rampage on this. HL 2 is indeed a great game, and even a worthy nominee for GoY, but it' s still just your standard FPS. The Havoc engine is fantastic, but besides that...nothing new, really.

Definitely worth playing, though. A must-play, actually.
Eastwood

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 17:09
It sounds like you guys both think its great.....but don' t want to say so. I' m not a fanboy by any means, seriously....but maybe thats why I was so pleased. yes, havoc engine is great. but the environments, pacing, little puzzles....all very cool.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 19:06
I will be playing HL2 soon, most likely after I finally finish Doom 3
Looking forward to it
As long as it' s a good FPS I' m happy, I don' t need anything to bow me away
Eastwood

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 19:35
well i hear that.....but you' ll likely be pretty blown away. guess no one is actually playing it hear....shame...no shop talk. Womp Wom.
Pierre2k

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 20:06
I have got to say I absolutely LOVE HALF-LIFE 2. I am a bit of a veteran FPS player and generally find many of them boring now, but this is a true gem.

Unlike most recent FPS games where I get bored " half" way through, I just couldn' t put this one down. Unlike some opinions here (which are somewhat understandable in that yes, it is an FPS game) I really think this brings something new to the table. The physics system just adds so much. Physics isn' t new and HAVOC have got their system in so many games these days I lost count. Far Cry, Doom 3 (for the few movable objects), Halo 2 etc. However, HL2 turns what was an amusing feature in those games into an integrated part of gameplay. See that force barrier? Use your grav gun to unplug it and it powers down! See that table? Pick it up to block people chasing you. See that plank? you can use it as a ramp if you get some bricks in order to pilot your hovercraft over the wall. Use any object as a weapon etc.

Beyond the Physics the game is more the sum of its parts, but what great parts. Amazing graphics, great storyline, vehicles which are awesome fun to drive (more so than in most similar games), really tight and quailty level design, brilliant weapons, team-based squad play etc etc.

It just combines everything possible into a hugely enjoyable experience. Similar in a sense to GTA:SA. GTA:SA brings nothing new to the table really, but combines the best bits of other genres into one great game. HL2 adds a bit of freshness to the FPS experience whilst, bringing in everything from other genres and other FPS games together in one excellent shooter.

I was dissapointed with Doom 3 and didn' t actually like the first Half-life game that much, but this is unmissable IMO!! Valve have just got themselves a new fan.

Oh, and don' t get me started on the excellence of Counter-Strike: Source. Sure, its essentially the same game, but the makeover and physics really bring it to life. Plus, you know there is awesome potential for new maps on this engine.

BUY HALF-LIFE 2 NOW!! One of the few recent games to life up the hype e.g. Halo 2, which is good, but very disappointing IMO (not payed it on LIVE yet though)
< Message edited by Pierre2k -- 12/14/2004 9:09:48 PM >
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 20:22
LOL what HE said. im a slow typer

Indeed HL2 is a great game, and worth every cent. Lip syncing and animations-great. Physics- great. Scripted sequences- Great. Gameplay-great, storyline-Great yet confusing. ( no spoilers, read ahead)

Installation sequence and the pathetic ' unlocking' and ' validating' sequence- not so great. I spent a good three weeks figuring out how to get it to play. I still cant play counter strike source, and HL2 was only enabled through an outside ' fix' .

As great a game as this maybe. some ppl might be put off by the aforementioned process. However, HL deathmatch has proven to be an excellent alternative to CS.

I still get a kick outta of spawning Ant lions and Vortigaunts and watching them fight.
Eastwood

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 14, 2004 22:47
YES! I knew there were some players in here. Glad im not the only one eating this stuff up. I actually just got to a part that is somewhat more difficult than the game had been before so I' ll see how it is after tonight.
Pierre2k

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 15, 2004 11:35
Just add one last comment....at least for now.

The sequences where you have to set up sentry guns are one of the most exciting things ever. Its like playing the " Special Edition" version of Aliens.
Eastwood

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 15, 2004 13:08
dooohhhhh.....haven' t gotten to that part yet...but now I can' t wait. I' m actually stuck in this place trying to meet the crazy priest at the church...but cant find the church. meh.
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 15, 2004 14:18
lo. that bits a bit confusing. im not even sure ho wi got there myself, and those zombies kick ass. I enjoyed the sentry guns as well, but not as much as the final level. INSANE
Eastwood

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 15, 2004 15:54
seriously....there are 3 spawn spots and im running low on ammo....tho im an accomplished crowbar zombie killer now. but i have no idea how to get outta there. anyone anyone?
silverspade14

• Total Posts : 10
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 25, 2004 19:13
i dont know what part your talking about , but i love half life 2. i beat it about 2 weeks ago and it was the best game ive ever played. the way the story goes at the end is incredible. the whole scale of the game is amazing. i dont know how you couldnt like it, unless it wont work on your comp
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 26, 2004 08:24
I haven' t had so much time to play H-L2 recently but I think I' m about 1/4 - 1/3 through the game, it has been an amazing experience so far, but I' m now at the part where you get the second major vehicle (the one after the boat levels, your next vehicle is like a wireframe jeep or something) and you' re on the coast with all those sand creatures. This bit just isn' t enjoyable so far and I dunno where to go.

Earlier parts of the game (and I am sure, later parts) have and will continue to blow my head off - the most amazing FPS around (though I still say Exhumed/Powerslave/1999 is LEGENDARY) -- shame the multiplayer, H-L2 style, is plain non-existent...
Pierre2k

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 26, 2004 09:36
I have to say that I really enjoyed the buggy level/levels, although its not quite as much fun as the hovercraft. Those levels were totally ace.

Definitely agree that Exhumed was legendary. I remember buying it after reading how much Official Saturn Magazine (UK) went on about it. Very impressive.

Speaking of which, that magazine was fantasic. To this day, my favourite computer magazine of all time. Really kept the Saturn community going far longer than it perhaps should have. I miss my Saturn!! Damn me to hell for selling it off.

Oh yeah, on one final point. There actually is Half-life 2 deathmatch available now (has been for a couple of weeks). I suggest you give it a shot, although it aint really my bag.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 26, 2004 10:28
Agreed on SSM and Exhumed, that' s the reason I snapped it up also.

You know, I seem to remember writing up a rather lengthy and sucky tribute to bith Official Sega mag and SSM...

http://web.archive.org/web/20020214065015/www.segaweb.com/features/SSM/SSM.aspx

Get your fanboy hats out!! (This was written back in 1998!!)
Pierre2k

RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 27, 2004 06:05
LOL Adam, I remeber reading that back when you published on segaweb in 1998. Nice article I must admit and I agree with everything it says. Does anyone know what Rich Leadbetter (think thats how you spell his name) went on to do after SSM and what he is doing now?

Quality to see " Heart of Darkness" on the issue 8 cover!! Remember that game. Its release date got pushed back more than Duke Nukem Forever, it was hyped up to hell and in the end never released on the Saturn. If I remember correctly, it ended up on PS2 as a mediocre platform game. Precious memories. I had a subcription to SSM and it is the only magazine I have ever done this with (preferring normally to buy random issues here and there of mags). SSM was a must read from cover to cover every month. BRING IT BACK (and the Saturn ;-) )
< Message edited by Pierre2k -- 12/27/2004 6:17:53 AM >
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 30, 2004 09:29
i can only say that i am almost done half-life 2 and was a self addicted....then something happened. i got metal gear solid 3 for christmas and haven' t touched half-life 2 since then. though i' ll admit, Half-life 2 is freaking fantastic.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Half Life 2 Discussion - Dec 31, 2004 17:08
HL2 looks very good and a lot of fun to play but on a machine like mine it would be a pain and it would ruin the game. Maybe i can pick it up cheap in a few years time when i get a good pc.

To tell you the truth i hated half life 1 and thought it was an over rated fps, and i still do. But hl2 loos decent enough, pity i cant play it. [unless some very kind and rich forumer gives me the money for a new system ;) ]
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message