Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Last 360 to die?
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Last 360 to die? - Oct 07, 2008 21:24
I was pretty smug about my 360, bought in March 06, still going strong while others were on their 6th and 7th. Didn't know what all the fuss was about, heh.  Its actually the first time I've seen an RROD!  I'd just set up my internet connection (4Mb yey!) and was looking forward to getting back on LIVE, but alas.

So question is, is mine the last of the originals gone on this forum, or are there still others on their first unit?

I got mine imported from Germany, and I dunno how to fix it with towels etc so I'm tempted to throw it away and just upgrade my PC.  Gears 2 was the only game I was looking forward to on 360 this year.

I could get a PS3, but I'd only really buy MGS and then wait for FFXIII and whatever Quantic Dream are making.

The main game I'm after this year is Left 4 Dead.

Hmm, where did that big towel go?
<message edited by choupolo on Oct 07, 2008 21:27>
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 07, 2008 21:44
My second 360 is still going.

Gears 2 and Fable 2 will both likely come out for the PC eventually so I would just upgrade your PC. 

2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 07, 2008 22:46
It could take over an year for fable 2 and gears 2 to come out for the pc . Why would you want to wait for an year ? Just buy a new one and hope you get one with the new falcon chipset ..
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 07, 2008 23:47
Didn't CliffyB already say that Gears 2 would not be going to PC due to piracy? Personally, if I were you, I'd just do the permanent fix. If you don't know how, I'm sure you can find a link or something, or even better, perhaps eddie der hated could help you. Just don't throw it away.
choupolo

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 07, 2008 23:50
Yeah I dunno, if I can't fix my 360 with a towel, I don't think I want to buy another one for a while.  Theres just something wrong about paying for something twice, y'know, even if it is 2 years later.

And true should be staight forward to get a guide to fixing it...its actually doing it myself that scares me!  I had a quick look, there are soooo many people trying to cash in on broken 360s, charging money for guides.  Scary.
<message edited by choupolo on Oct 07, 2008 23:53>
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 00:01
the best combination is PS3 and PC, you can play most multiplatform and 360 exclusives with the pc, considering you have at least a 7900 GTX and a core 2 duo above the 2.4 ghz with 2GB ram. the rest you can enjoy it on PS3. there will only be a very few games that will be truly exclusif to the 360 but these are not worth it. And you will surely avoid another 360 breakdown.

UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 01:51
If you bought it in 06 then it still should be under the 3 year warranty. If you can still get something for nothing, I say go for it. The refurbed ones they send out are now the "Opus" model so they should last a good while longer. Once that one bites the dust, it'll probably be close to 2010 anyway.

And don't do the towel trick. Whoever came up with the idea was very short-sighted. It just screws over your console even more by heating up other components (such as capacitors and other critical parts) to dangerous levels. It's not even a very good method of repairing the BGA. You're more likely to fry it than fix it.
<message edited by UnluckyOne on Oct 08, 2008 01:52>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 03:58

Towel Trick

...No.

X-Clamp Replacement Repair

...Yes.

I can mail you some parts if you can't find them online, or at a big chain. I bought in bulk from my local hardware store.

Seriously, it's about as simple as simple can be, so long as you have a logical head on your shoulders. In the event of your box actually seriously being broken, new ones are dirt cheap. Torr just picked one up for under fifty USD.  You don't even have to repurchase parts. You can just swap 'em out.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 04:27
Chuopolo, I think you and me were the last survivors on here, and mine bit it a few weeks ago.  Just got my replacement in the mail today. 

You're still within the 3 year warranty so why not get a replacement?
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 16:16
Zoy's right on that. If you're still warrantied, let Microsoft deal with it.

By now, folks in the UK should be getting the Opus SKU, and that (in theory) should last you longer. Though, they've been saying each hard-released SKU would "cure" the RROD problems since Falcon.
Zoy

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 17:34
Are you sure you don't mean Jasper, Eddie?  I was looking into this since I was curious as to what exactly I'd be getting back.  I thought Opus was only available as the refurbished version that you get back when you send in the original Xenon; Opus has a 65nm CPU but still with a 90nm GPU (like Falcon, but without an HDMI output).  So Opus isn't going to retail, it's just available as a repair/replacement. 

However, Jasper (65nm CPU and 65nm GPU) is supposed to start showing up any time now in retail.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 18:32
opus dos not exist in retail
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 20:41
GOW2 isn't coming to PC, FFXIII is coming to 360 as well.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 08, 2008 21:49
With the extended warranty up at the end of the year I have been trying for the past while to make my 360 RROD with no results. I have put big comforters (blankets), a sleeping bag all on top of my 360 and left the damn thing running for over 3 days with no RROD.

I am sure that I don't have the new improved heatsink as I got my last replacement I believe last Summer.

Now with the upcoming holiday season just ahead of us I don't want my 360 to RROD, and I have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that it will RROD either just before Fable 2 and Fallout 3 are to released, or just before Gears 2.
Zoy

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 09, 2008 00:16
Mine actually got the RROD after I got back from vacation, having not used it for 2 weeks.  So it seemed like more a matter of having plenty of time to cool down rather than being intensely heated up (moreso than normal use). 

But then again... Over the past several months I've really only been using it two or three days a week, and I figure it must completely cool down within just a few hours after you shut it off.  Who knows.

canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 09, 2008 01:07
Well mine is getting plenty of use at the moment between myself and my brother in-law. He plays it pretty much every night on COD4 with his GF in Texas, and I try to get on on the weekends.

With my luck the damn thing will RROD on Jan 1, 2009. :(
choupolo

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 09, 2008 18:42
I bought mine second hand (nearly new) from an import store, so I don't know if I have free replacement rights or not.  Will probably try Eddie's link at some point.  Thanks Eddie.

Its wierd I hadn't been using my 360 excessively or anything either, I watched a DVD the night before, then after work the next day I got my internet up and running and wanted to test LIVE, and it RROD'd as soon as I switched it on. 

Maybe my 360 has feelings and its in a permanent huff because I did something wrong although haven't got a clue exactly what...  oh well I'll fiddle with its insides later maybe it'll feel better.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 09, 2008 19:07

Are you sure you don't mean Jasper, Eddie?  I was looking into this since I was curious as to what exactly I'd be getting back.

No, I meant Opus. I failed to clarify that it was repair centers getting the Opus, not retailers. I contacted a friend on XS last night, because I was curious, and he told me that (contrary to what I"d heard) the repair centers soft-launched Opus all at the same time.

So, when he gets it back, it should have the revised CPU heatsink (I tooled around with one the other day, they're slick), the HANA scaler, meaning that someone could hack an HDMI port in the future, and possibly some re-oriented RAM (I don't know about the last one. I know Jasper has reoriented ram chips, moved to the top of the motherboard for heat reasons, but I didn't get to pop off the sinks and see for myself).

I thought Opus was only available as the refurbished version that you get back when you send in the original Xenon;

Well, that's the game plan anyway. It's HANA (digital scaler) compliant though, so them using the board in HDMI-enabled configurations is unlikely, but not out of the question entirely.

Thanks Eddie.

Its wierd I hadn't been using my 360 excessively or anything either,

Any time.

The general consensus is that sporadic heavy gaming might actually be worse for your box than constant heat. I'd explain the science, but I don't think I could do it justice.

Yuskei

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 10, 2008 23:14
CanadaGamer if your 360 still works why would you want to give it the 3 red rings? Well anyways I had a 360 at launch which died a few months after launch and my second one which I got from MS repair stopped reading discs like a couple of months ago and I tried to give it the red rings of death because its out of warranty and I don't currently have the 100 plus dollars they wanted to repair it and I don't wonna pay them for another faulty system, so I tried the towel trick to give it the 3 red rings like some people online have claimed to have done but it didn't work.

Then I looked up how to repair 360 disc read error on youtube and found a vid but instead of it repairing my system it gave it the 3 red rings (hurray for free repair) so if you really want the red rings just look up a repair vid on youtube that involves sticking a piece of paper with a decent thickness into your closed disc tray and sliding it from left to right. But you might want to wait because I recieved the free shipping label from MS but haven't sent it in yet and I am a bit worried that upon recieving my console and checking it out they might refuse the free repair cause I tried frying it with the towel trick so I'm not sure if they will be able to tell or not. But once it has been sent out and received by MS I will post back here and let everyone know if they fixed it for free or not then everyone who needs a free repair can try the same fix I did.
<message edited by Yuskei on Oct 10, 2008 23:15>
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Last 360 to die? - Oct 11, 2008 04:15
Yuskei

CanadaGamer if your 360 still works why would you want to give it the 3 red rings? Well anyways I had a 360 at launch which died a few months after launch and my second one which I got from MS repair stopped reading discs like a couple of months ago and I tried to give it the red rings of death because its out of warranty and I don't currently have the 100 plus dollars they wanted to repair it and I don't wonna pay them for another faulty system, so I tried the towel trick to give it the 3 red rings like some people online have claimed to have done but it didn't work.

Then I looked up how to repair 360 disc read error on youtube and found a vid but instead of it repairing my system it gave it the 3 red rings (hurray for free repair) so if you really want the red rings just look up a repair vid on youtube that involves sticking a piece of paper with a decent thickness into your closed disc tray and sliding it from left to right. But you might want to wait because I recieved the free shipping label from MS but haven't sent it in yet and I am a bit worried that upon recieving my console and checking it out they might refuse the free repair cause I tried frying it with the towel trick so I'm not sure if they will be able to tell or not. But once it has been sent out and received by MS I will post back here and let everyone know if they fixed it for free or not then everyone who needs a free repair can try the same fix I did.

Microsoft isnt Wolfram & Hart, moron. They dont have psychics who know how a box got RROD'd, as long as the little stickers on the inside are intact showing you havent opened it they'll give you a new one.

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message