Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Defence Force Characterization
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
Defence Force Characterization - Jul 30, 2007 13:16
It' s early in the morning and I am bored.

XBDF:
Up until half a year ago those guys were perfectly happy. Their console had fantastic sales, fantastic games and Peter Moore. Of course, it was also the console with the highest failure rate EVER but this could be simply denied because Microsofts official stance was " the failure rates are in the normal range for electronic products" and anyway, " it just seems to have a high failure rate because the few people whose console failed are complaining so loudly" . But other than that, everything was happy in XBoxland. It went even as far, as Microsoft encouraging people to buy a Wii and a 360.
And then Wii came and suddenly Xbox 360 was in danger. And after XBDF lost it' s fantastic sales to Nintendo, as well as Peter Moore, they are slowly starting to get afraid. Because, if Wii continues to be successful, they might lose their fantastic games to Wii, too (simply because Wii doesn' t encourage multiplattform development and also because they think Wii might reshape the video gaming landscape in a way that makes mass-appealing games the dominant type of games). And that' s why XBDF is so agressive towards Wii. (Quoted Terrak on a few things here)
XBDF members are also known to be deaf.

WiiDF:
Now these guys had to endure a lot prior to the launch of their console. They took beatings because of the technical capabilities of their console, because of the controller and even because of the name of the console. WiiDF itself wasn' t too sure about the console, either. And the worst thing was - they didn' t even have anything to defend themselves with besides Zelda - and that one was coming out on Gamecube, too.
But then the Wii launched and the situation changed for WiiDF. The console is a success story unparalleled in video game history and WiiDF is simply happy. And while the console still lacks great, console-exclusive games WiiDF is confident that this will change as soon as Wii becomes the sales leader. But for now, WiiDF is simply very happy and not shy to rub the success of Wii in everybodys face on every possible occasion. Also, when having an argument, this is their one and only point they have to make. A typical conversation with a member of the WiiDF therefore looks like this:

" Wii lacks good games" - " But it has got good sales!"
" Yeah but it still lacks good games" - " Yeah but it still got good sales!"
" Yeah but the games are still mediocre" - " Yeah but the sales are still fantastic!"
" Yeah but I DONT WANT TO TALK ABOUT SALES, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT GAMES" - " Yeah, well......Wii has got good sales!"
" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!"

PSDF:
They used to be a bunch of blatherskites. Blended by Sony' s CGE3 2005 they simply used the technical capabilities of their console to crush any argument the other defence forces came up with.
And then PS3 was released and failed to live up to the hype. And to add insult to injury neither does it have great exclusive games at this point nor good sales as well as this incredible high price point of 600$. And because of this PSDF suddenly became the most quiet of the defence forces, simply sitting in the back and watchig as WiiDF and XBDF battle and only occasionally saying that their time will come, as soon as the first " good" games that completely use the PS3' s power are released. And unfortunely, CoD 4, a multiplattform title, simply looks better than anything stated to be released for PS3 anytime soon.

SDF:
And finally these guys. They are by far the most mature of the defence force. They had to learn the lesson the hard way and now have an especially critical view of their company. This leads to them being the only defence force to actually not defend the products of their company (at least the newer ones) and are usually seen happily joining the bashing of games like Sonic the Hegehog or Phantasy Star Universe. Of course, if somebody insults a game that has been released before SEGA became a software only company and therefore is considered to be brilliant by SDF hell breaks loose as they furiously storm in from all over the forums to defend the game.
They are also considered cry-babys because they often make references to how things were much better back in the good old days (aka when Sega was still manifacturing consoles) and how everything sucks nowadays.

As I already said earlier, it was early in the morning and I couldn' t sleep. Yes, this thread is pointless. And yes, I know, my spelling/grammar is really, really bad and I shouldn' t write such long texts.
< Message edited by Evilkiller -- 30 Jul 07 6:18:42 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 30, 2007 13:18
I i knew where you lived i' d personally execute you.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 30, 2007 14:17

WHAT?!!! CAN YOU SAY THAT LOUDER?!!!!

...I wish I had as much time as you have
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 30, 2007 14:32

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

...I wish I had as much time as you have

Not that difficult, just become an insomniac
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 30, 2007 14:58
Man I miss those old days, everything sucks now
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 31, 2007 08:36
Very interesting assessment.

Its obvious some people here fall into the categories you described but is there anyone here that does not fall into any category. I.E. Neutral Defence Force (equal treatment of all gaming platforms)? I can' t think of anyone here that fits this category?

What about PC Defence force - Unfortunately there not really needed because no one really bags on the PC.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 31, 2007 08:47

Because, if Wii continues to be successful, they might lose their fantastic games to Wii, too (simply because Wii doesn' t encourage multiplattform development and also because they think Wii might reshape the video gaming landscape in a way that makes mass-appealing games the dominant type of games). And that' s why XBDF is so agressive towards Wii. (Quoted Terrak on a few things here)

Finaly a very good point, Tarik this is why people are not happy with the success of the wii, for hardcore gamers they see this console a threat, they don' t want to change yes people resist change but the thought of playing for another 5 years the same graphics i played for the last five years make me sick, i want to see my beloved franchises in all their glories... Wii success MIght steal those IP' s specialy Japanese games (it just happened to Dragon Quest 9) ... Hardcore are notb interested in the wiimote as they are VERY happy with their current controlers.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 31, 2007 11:22
I don' t know who this person is you are refering too () but i' ll have my say.

You say that Wiis success may affect the games that may come out ps3/360 that is why people here dislike it. Well let me just say the ps3/360 are guilty of detroying games I LIKE. They are destroying PC gaming. Even Mark Rein of Epic sees this as a problem -

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169116

Microsoft might be making a song and dance about the advent of DirectX 10 and the new experience it brings to PC gaming, but Epic vice president Mark Rein reckons we won' t see it adopted in earnest by developers and publishers for several years.

" To be honest, and I' m going to cast a small pall on the industry here, I don' t think you' re going to get much higher until the next generation of consoles," Rein told CVG when asked what we can expect from DX 10 beyond what we' re seeing in Crysis.

One reason for this, he said, is that the gulf between a high-end PC and a low-end PC is bigger now than it' s ever been, and the low-end has been anchored while the high end just gets higher " and it becomes less and less economically viable to do the super high-end stuff" .

Sure its an opinion but he does have a point. So its wrong for the Wii to ' stunt' growth in games for ps3/360 but its ok for ps3/360 to stunt games for PC?
Some of my favourite PC games are no longer available thanks to sony and microsoft. F1 is exclusive to sony platforms till 2009 i believe, and the PC has not had a Mechwarroir/Mechcommander game since xbox arrived. Not to mention games that were supposed to be for PC like Gears, but went to 360 first. PC owners have to wait over a year to get a chance to play it. How many other games have migrated to ps3/360 due to them being more profitable? Why is it a problem when profitability can be found in the Wii?

As you can see the 360/ps3 are not beyond that criticism. As a PC gamer this ticks me off, but do you hear me constantly complaining about it? Hell no. Thats life, thats business. If you don' t like it you do something about it or you move on. Since i haven' t done something about it (ie make my own games) i accept what is happening and moved on. Don' t expect any sympathy from me if you lose some AAA titles to the Wii due to its success. My favourite platform (PC) has suffered because of xbox and playstation success, and now its time return the favour
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Defence Force Characterization - Jul 31, 2007 13:03
I' m kinda disappointed this gen now that I think about it.

-PS3 is shit to develop for and this shows in games. Cell was entirely a selfish idea on Sony' s part. Developers hate the thing and it will likely only bring a price premium along with little performance benefit in real world gaming code. It' s obvious that Sony wanted CELL in the HPC market and decided to cost reduce the chip by dumping R&D on gamers. The problem is that they over estimated how much we' re willing to spend on a console. Sony has completely fucked themselves by not securing more early support. With the Price driving people away along with really shitty PR pre-release Sony seems to have shot themselves in the foot. I still say it will be a late bloomer though. There are just too many PS2 owners waiting in the shadows. In the long run I think Sony' s strategy will pay off not only in their gaming division but elsewhere as well. I' m seriously thinking of buying a PS3 soon but one of the only reasons why I want one now is for the BluRay player.

-360 would have been a great perfect platform for me as I mostly don' t care about JP RPGs. The console failure didn' t bother me too much as I never had to pay a dime in Canada to get a new replacement. If I did have to pay for a repair I would be pissed.
Not because it' s a lot of money but just out of principle it would piss me off. One thing that did annoy me is that I have to rebuy Geometry Wars to be able to play it offline as the arcade games are locked to the console as well as the gamertag.

I don' t find the console too loud except for the cheap ghetto disc drives that MS probably found in an abandoned warehouse in Bangladesh.

-Wii, you know how I feel about this one. The only reason I won`t shut up about it is because I like Nintendo. I was looking forward to seeing a next gen Zelda game. Instead all we get is a rehashed last gen port. The wiimote won`t make the games more immersive when AI, graphics, physics,scripted events, animations, effect are limited by obsolete technology. You won`t reinvent the wheel if you don' t get the basics right first.

I understand Nintendo wanting to have a lower profile console. I just can`t get over just how weak it is. I mean a 700mhz single core cpu, the same GPU in GameCube and a paltry 88mb of TOTAL RAM (it' s very slow ram at that) POS!

All in all, the best is yet to come for PS3 and 360 while Wii won' t change at all. It seems like ever since SNES Nintendo managed to fuck up more every generation than the previous one.

Still I' m not too impressed with any of the consoles. 360 would have been impressive had MS not fucked up manufacturing. PC is still the #1 platform. It was this way long before this gen started and will continue to be so long after this gen ends.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll