Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Are we rushing into the next generation???
Beef Shala

• Total Posts : 89
Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 18:52
When we went from Nintendo to SNES and Genesis, the timing was right. The same is true from PS1 and Saturn to now. But I just feel like the systems that are out still have some good years and games in front of them.

Before when we moved into the next gen, the old systems were showing their age. Dreamcast games made PS1, N64, and Saturn games look like trash. The N64, Saturn and PS1 eclipsed the Genesis and SNES in the same way. I don' t know if the PS3 and NeXtBox can really wow us in this same regard.

Sure there will be more polygons, maybe wireless controllers, HD support, but can will this next generation open up new forms of gameplay that can' t be achieved now? I am not confident that this is the case.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 19:25
Nah, I think the 2005 timing is PURRRFECT!!! It' s time for a change.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 19:32

Are we rushing into the next generation???

I' d say yes. I' ve just got my consoles and will be happy with them for another few years. I know it' ll be another few years before any of the ' next' generation of consoles arrive but talk of them already seems a bit too soon.

But maybe the world is a different place than before. Videogames are more popular than they were in the 90' s. More people care about ' the next generation' in gaming and want to see what can be achieved sooner. Everyone seems to be hurrying the next wave along.

But is there only so far games can go in terms of graphics?

' Tis a good question. I watched a video interview with Peter Molenuex and I thought he brought up a great point about this subject in it. I don' t want to parrot him but I really like his thinking. He said that he thought controllers could be changed a lot to improve gaming. Current controllers seem to me made still with 2D games in mind and things could be done to embrace the 3rd dimension better. I agree whole heartedly.

Graphics alone can' t make games that much better but maybe new and innovative ways to play games can. Things like the Eye-Toy. So far all that’s been made for that is mini-games. surely there' s someway to use it with a joypad in a ' proper' game. The DS is another good example. The extra touch screen is something fresh thrown into the mix which has a lot of potential.

I' ve said it before but I hear Nintendo have something up their sleeve with their next home console. Here' s hoping for something big...
Beef Shala

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 20:35
Good point. When the next generation systems talk starts up - all everyone wants to know about is graphics. How many triangles, how many polygons, z-buffering, filtering, etc etc.? Graphics have not peaked, but they are not going to get leagues better anymore. This next generation needs to be about gameplay.

The controller issue is a good one. We always just think about how many buttons and if there are analog and digital sticks. 3D controllers - Nintendo will probably figure it out.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 20:46
Since we don' t know anything about the new nintendo system, I can only hope they are going for a virtual realty system. Not with a headset, but using fully interactive gloves and a TV so that you control and manipulate objects onscreen(such as guns, ect).

That would change the way we play games. But, a new system boasting more powerful graphics but similar gameplay may not do it for me. Sure I' d love to see better graphics but if the games are all the same there is no point. I' m hoping Sony and MS have some new gameplay options like nintendo, perhaps with the eye-toy and the xbox camera coming out.
Beef Shala

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 20:54
You can always count on Nintendo to change the game. Few respect them for the innovation that they bring to gaming, but where would platforming be without Mario and Yoshi and Mario 64 set the stage for every 3D platformer since. I am sure that their system will push the industry. I wish that they would release first, so that MS and Sony could get new ideas from them.

I feel that the Eye Toy is a novelty item. Until it is standard with a system, no developer would put enough work into it to make it anything more.
PS2Poodoo

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 23:16
I don' t know how much I feel that nintendo really did for platforming anyway. The original NES did change home consoles forever, but think about games like Rayman and Crash Bandicoot that were out before the N64 even threw in it' s Mario64 jewel.

Maybe it' s just me, but sometimes it sounds like nintendo gets too much credit. I don' t mean to take anything away from the company, they' ve done some great things, but are they really as innovative as we all claim?
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 30, 2004 23:59
It' s more the potential they have at the moment. They' ve said they are looking into new ways of playing games. The DS is a new way of playing games. It has a totally different idea behind it than the PSP and looks to be something special. If they can think of new and exciting ways of playing games that aren' t as flash in the pan as the Eyetoy, they could be onto a winner. It could be different enough from the PS3 and X-Box 2 to warrent some attention.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Jul 31, 2004 03:51
I' ll make this simple:

I' m so far behind as of now in terms of games, I wouldn' t catch up until 2008. And I don' t even have the GC yet.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 09, 2004 19:36
well, my opinion would be:

i dont mind when a new console will be comming out within a time frame of around 4 a 5 years, but the follow up console has got to have way better graphics. a new console for just a few little extra details (look at how manny pc graphical cards there are, and how close the performance is). so i am not looking for a new console that is just a tiny bit better than the old one. so ps3 and xbox2 had better have exelent graphicall powers, otherwise i' ll stick to my older versions.
< Message edited by music_maniac1965 -- 8/9/2004 6:37:21 PM >
PS2Poodoo

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 04:38
My opinion on the matter has actually changed. I can' t wait now for the new xbox and ps3. After seeing the new unreal engine We see how crisp our consoles will be able to look at LAUNCH. Just wait until the real power of the newer systems is used. I think a late ' 06 launch is a great time for the US to get the ps3, as I' ll probably get that before the new xbox
Terry Bogard

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 05:07

My opinion on the matter has actually changed. I can' t wait now for the new xbox and ps3.

It' s about time! I was beginning to think that I was the only sane one in this thread :)
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 8/10/2004 5:08:10 AM >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 05:46

We see how crisp our consoles will be able to look at LAUNCH.

Only if you have an HDTV. They certainly won' t look that crisp on a typical NTSC or PAL television with the typical composite or RF hook up.
Terry Bogard

RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 06:44
Bet they' ll look super crisp on my 13 inch Panasonic Omnivision TV/VCR combo ;)
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 08:28
Oh you finally traded up from your 1978 9 inch GE black and white set?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 8/10/2004 8:28:23 AM >
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
RE: Are we rushing into the next generation??? - Aug 10, 2004 10:17
as much as i want the ps3, truth is i donw want it anytime soon. Im still not fully satisfied with my ps2, and would like to play more games before i start dishing out cash for its little brother.

Rumour has it it might not be called PS anymore. though i doubt that sony will want to change a well earned name for somthing cheesy like ' GOBgame' or ' PokeStation' .

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll