Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 2D fighters.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
2D fighters. - Jun 01, 2006 22:29
I' ve always been a fan of 2d fighters, and yes i am the minority..

This next generation lacks any 2d fighter goodness what-so ever, and that sucks.

Am i the only one who would keep buying 2d fighters?
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 01, 2006 23:08
Put Street fighter Alpha 3 on the Marketplace and I will not play anything else..
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 01, 2006 23:58
Are you the only one? Heck no.

I' m guessing the companies know 2d fighters still have a welcome spot in the industry too. Even MS realizes getting Streetfighter on Live was a big deal. Capcom won' t leave us hanging this gen.

And there will always be another KOF....that series survived it' s own company.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 02:08
I love 2D games and 2D fighters are my favourites. I think some 2D fighters will be released for the next-gen consoles. Don' t know which but very likely we' ll see Street Fighter and Guilty Gear. I' d like a new Samurai Showdown too.
DId anyone play that 3D Street Fighter game for the PS2? Man that was terrible! Ok, the gameplay was decent, but Street Fighter in 3D? What' s the point?
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 03:52

I' ve always been a fan of 2d fighters, and yes i am the minority..

This next generation lacks any 2d fighter goodness what-so ever, and that sucks.

Doesn' t it lack 2D games in all? I love 2D actually, though I can' t call myself a fan of 2D fighter games (as I havn' t played many) I still love the style and wish it would see some more usage. RPG' s especially I think works with 2d.
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 06:23
I' m really looking forward to Street Fighter Alpha Anthology. SFA2 was the pinnacle of 2D fighting IMO.

Even now, after all these years I seldom get into a 3D fighter as much as I would have a 2D one. It is kind of sad that Capcom lost the Marvel license. But then again, that means they now have no excuse to get on with making Street Fighter 4. Or even just Alpha 4.

It better not be 3D though...
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 17:48
Would Super Smash Bros. qualify as a 2-D fighter, since the game only moves in 2 Dimensions? ...or by 2-D, do you just mean games with 2-D graphics?
Tiz

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 17:49

It better not be 3D though...

I' ll drink to that..
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 20:45

ORIGINAL: He

Would Super Smash Bros. qualify as a 2-D fighter, since the game only moves in 2 Dimensions? ...or by 2-D, do you just mean games with 2-D graphics?

I think definitely, SSB is a 2d fighter. Just because the graphics have a 3d look to them doesn' t mean it' s 3d. I think there has to be some kind of 3d component to the mechanics of the game for it to cross the line into the 3rd dimension.

And yes, I like 2d fighters as well. I would just like to see an improvement to the graphics of the old school ones. Bring them up to the level of Guilty Gear, basically. My favs are Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown and Fatal Fury. I do enjoy Guilty Gear #Reload on the Xbox as well.
silverthornne

• Total Posts : 12
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 21:00
Hell yea, give me 2D fighters please! I mean, I' ve played some fun 3D fighters too, but I' ve never gotten the same satisfaction from a 3D one as from a good 2D fighter like the SF series or Mark of the Wolves.

Like Chee Saw stated, the ideal would be bringing the graphics to par with the Guilty Gear releases. Seriously, there' s no excuse for other companies to stay in the low resolution of fighters in the 90' s these days. I can only drool thinking of a game of the quality of Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (yes, this is my favorite 2D fighter) or Garou: Mark of the Wolves with the high resolution graphics of a Guilty Gear. Heck, I' m sure they could up them a notch past GG' s resolution even.

whiteguysamurai

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 02, 2006 22:35
No, i don' t consider super smash bros 2d, at least no more 2d then street fighter EX.

What i mean is something more along the lines of street fighter 3, where you need a large ammount of skill, VS ssb where you can for the most part button mash.

And ssb is filled with goony nintendo mascotts, that' s not really icing on the cake to me.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 03, 2006 00:39

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

And ssb is filled with goony nintendo mascotts, that' s not really icing on the cake to me.

Finally a kindred spirit. I never really got into SSB for the same reason.

However, I will admit it' s a great game for N-mascot fanatics. They did a better job than SEGA did with fighters megamix. Even though I prefered playing megamix....being a SEGA fan
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 2 Jun 06 16:40:07 >
whiteguysamurai

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 03, 2006 16:06
And fighter' s megamix has some real depth.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 03, 2006 16:14

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

No, i don' t consider super smash bros 2d, at least no more 2d then street fighter EX.

What i mean is something more along the lines of street fighter 3, where you need a large ammount of skill, VS ssb where you can for the most part button mash.

He wasn' t really inquiring about the skill the game involves. Merely the plane of control the game uses. There is no three dimensional (3d) movement, therefore it is two dimensional (2d).

I, personally, never really got into SSB, although my girlfriends son likes to play. As such, I' ve played my fair share. Nothing compares to our Pikachu vs. Kirby matches!! NOTHING!!
Tiz

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 03, 2006 18:55

I, personally, never really got into SSB, although my girlfriends son likes to play.

So how old are you rrrrreeeally??
whiteguysamurai

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 03, 2006 19:22
When i mean 2d, i mean hand drawn.
He

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 04, 2006 01:16

ssb where you can for the most part button mash.

You can' t really button mash in Smash Bros. and expect to win. I' ve played games where you can win via button mashing (Soul Caliber II, for example), and Smash Bros. is not quite like that. I' ve never won by button mashing, and nobody I' ve played has ever won doing that. Probably what makes it seem like that is it' s mainly reaction-based, not strategy-based like most popular fighters are. Also, it' s much harder to string attacks in Smash Bros.

And fighter' s megamix has some real depth.

There is depth in Smash Bros., at least in the way you can fight. I' ve spent hours learning moves (stand-dodge timing, and proper item-catching, for instance) and implementing them into my play-style. It' s just that there' s nothing that tells you about these moves, you have to find them and learn them yourself.

When i mean 2d, i mean hand drawn.

Ok, well then you could have just said sprite fighters. I would like to see more of those games on consoles (all of them seem to be on portables nowadays), but why are you specifically asking about them?
< Message edited by he -- 3 Jun 06 17:17:19 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 04, 2006 01:18
KoF98 and 2001 are the greatest 2D fighters you can buy. I wanted 98 on XBLA but it looks like SNK are siding with Nintendo instead and i' ll have to play their games with either the stupid " traditional shell" or a 3rd party " Wii" compatible pad. I guess the 360' s pad would suck for 2D fighters anyway...

...though that' s not going to stop me getting Street Fighter II and UMK3 when they appear on XBLA. Online Mortal Kombat will be awesome.

Am i the only one holding out hope that Rare will make Killer Instinct available too?
He

RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 04, 2006 01:23
Yeah, Killer Instinct on XBL would be cool, as would almost any other Rare game: especially the original Perfect Dark.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: 2D fighters. - Jun 04, 2006 21:11
SSBB is as people call it 2,5 D

I also think that 2d means hand drawn more than the camera angle.

I really wish they made some outstanding high res 2d games - like metal slug or mark of the wolves.

SNK people said that Wii is their primary system since HD resolutions aren' t good for their 2D games (I think they are actually to lazy to draw highres content for those platforms)

Dreamcast was a great " 2D rebirth" and that' s one of many things DC did like no other.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message